Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend is looking at used Jettas right now. He's driven both the 2.0 and 1.8T. Of course Im pushing the Turbo on him. I dont think he's sold, but whatever. He'd be happy with sunroof and leather.

Anyway I'd heard that some model years had issues, electrical etc. That would be the 99s and 00s to avoid right? Any issues with 2001? He's driven an 02 and 03 so far.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Always avoid the early years. They had the most recalls, things like windows falling into the door and shattering. The majority of used 1.8Ts out there probably had the coil pack issue.

If your friend has an desire for some pep in his car, do whatever you can to steer clear from the 2.0...it's a dog.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
The Jettas have a 72 month/unlimited mile warranty on the window regulators. I would probably avoid the early cars and stick with the 1.8Ts. They have more power than the VR6 and are way more exciting than the 2.0. I think of the 2.0 like Rubbermaid products, durable but probably not that interesting. The later 1.8Ts have the larger turbo and therefore more power. Look for the AWW or AWP engine codes.

I have a 2002 Jetta 1.8T wagon. The wagons are the only Jettas over here that were built in Germany.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.