Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like a lot of them are going for cheap right now around the 30-35k range (considering they were 50k new), many with pretty low mileage under 20k. Note that these were an awesome performance deal to begin with, considering they were making over 400hp, made 1.0g on the skippad, and weighed in around 3100lbs. also gets a modest 19/28mpg! no doubt there's a lot more potential for modding!

I may consider trading in my 06 Sti for a 04 z06. most prob i'll save on gas as my Sti averages a pathetic 18mpg. my insurance payments may go down too.

here are some samples i found at autotrader;
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...5&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=100
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...sion=Manual&doors=&max_price=35000&cardist=33

what do you guys think?

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
Seems like a lot of them are going for cheap right now around the 30-35k range (considering they were 50k new), many with pretty low mileage under 20k. Note that these were an awesome performance deal to begin with, considering they were making over 400hp, made 1.0g on the skippad, and weighed in around 3100lbs. also gets a modest 19/28mpg! no doubt there's a lot more potential for modding!

I may consider trading in my 06 Sti for a 04 z06. most prob i'll save on gas as my Sti averages a pathetic 18mpg. my insurance payments may go down too.

here are some samples i found at autotrader;
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...5&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=100
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...sion=Manual&doors=&max_price=35000&cardist=33

what do you guys think?

Lot of bang for the buck, but so is your STI. Personally I wouldn't take any vette except the new ZO6 over an STI, but it ain't my money.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
An amazing performance car .. let down by a GM interior. And I cannot get comfortable in those seats to save myself.
Just make sure the recall was done for the roof panels that fly off.

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,900 Posts
I've driven one - it was FUN!
make mine fire-engine red, please. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the STi is a remarkably good deal, and it is a fast no doubt. However, after driving it for 8 months or so, i'm getting a bit bored its just a very uninvolving car to drive. I hate the power steering and general steering feedback fell. it also feels a bit cumbersome with sharper turns. the turning radius is huge. i guess maybe im just not a fan of awd cars (this was my first awd car).

the Sti is only fun to drive when driven hard on the twisties. for the most part i enjoy driving my 240sx, miata, and crx even more even though they're nowhere near as quick and balanced. the sti is an awesome car, but i think i prefer something rwd and a bit lighter.

lol, i did not think i could find an interior cheesier than my Sti. The Z06 interior looks like it was sourced from a cavalier from the 80's. The matte black z06 owner managed to make it look even more tacky in the tradition of a riced-out civic. :p

yeah, i guess you could say its somewhat of a midlife crisis car for me.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
I'm selling a 2001 (non Z06) in excellent condition w/67,000 miles if any of you guys are planning on having a midlife crisis soon. I'm thinking around $25K PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
An amazing performance car .. let down by a GM interior. And I cannot get comfortable in those seats to save myself.
Just make sure the recall was done for the roof panels that fly off.
Agreed.

The workmanship and materials quality is horrible. The performance is certainly fantastic but not enough to make me ever buy one. There are better options out there.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Nice car. Get rid of the picnic table and get an American V8. Nothing like having some good o'l torque push you back in your seat while you kill all the overpriced Porsche snobs :D But hey, at least their interior is purty :poke:

Plus a mint Z06 will keep its value well after 10 years, a lot better than the STi if you keep it for a while.

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
Nothing like having some good o'l torque push you back in your seat while you kill all the overpriced Porsche snobs :D But hey, at least their interior is purty :poke:
Bwahahahaha!

If going in a straight line for a brief period of time is fun to you, then I guess so. I actually prefer to drive. And speaking of driving, while you're in the garage wrenching on your car yet again, I'll be out enjoying more laps. :poke:

My favorite track video from last year:

:D

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/z06+sti/0/1643c66b-c324-467b-8329-3eef252cb127.htm

These guys were pushing their cars quite a bit more than your group.

Car and Driver liked the C6Z better than the GT3: http://www.caranddriver.com/compari...07-lotus-exige-s-vs-2007-porsche-911-gt3.html

I would also have to say a Corvette is going to be cheaper to maintain and more reliable than Porsche. Do you even do your own oil changes on the Box?

I will say, I give you a lot of credit for taking your nice car out on those road courses..... I would be too worried about wrecking my car or having some inexperienced driver hitting me. I feel more safer on the drag strip.

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
These guys were pushing their cars ...albums/v228/J-RAD/Boxster S/th_BIR1.jpg[/IMG]

Actually, they didn't. Subjectively, they preferred the GT3. From the article:
So, why the second place? Honestly, it’s because the objective scores for each category on our ballot outweighed the subjective scores of our acquisitive participants, none of whom even balked at the Porsche’s lofty $120,670 price in this abstract election.
Final Results

But the argument isn't whether the new Z06 is a great performer (btw, the topic is referring to the previous generation C5). It clearly is.

I would also have to say a Corvette is going to be cheaper to maintain and more reliable than Porsche. Do you even do your own oil changes on the Box?
Again, how do you possibly make such a conclusion? I've owned 3 and they have been very easy. As for the oil changes, personally, I do not - although I know a number of people that do, it's certainly easy enough. Since I only need to change the oil annually, it's simply much more convenient for me to have my mechanic do it for me when he completes my annual tech inspection and changes my brake fluid. Do you think there's an abundance of Z06 owners changing their own oil (unless you're counting what we saw in my video as an oil change ;) :poke: )?

Actually, the owner of the Z06 in that first video I posted also owns a Carrera 4S (which he loves). I was chatting with him in the paddock that day prior to his issue. He was telling me about some of his previous problems (the car was shutting down on him while on the track for no apparent reason - electronic, he also had an issue which made him decide to upgrade the intake) and how he was rather disappointed in it's overall quality. I can't imagine how pissed he must've been after losing all his oil.

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,316 Posts
That interior looks worse than my two rear older passat's interior......I can't stand crappy GM interior.

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
I will say, I give you a lot of credit for taking your nice car out on those road courses..... I would be too worried about wrecking my car or having some inexperienced driver hitting me. I feel more safer on the drag strip.
Then why did you waste all that money on the GTO? You could of built up your own "man's car" that turned 9 seconds for that kinda money.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Okay, back on topic...

Within that article is your answer to why earlier C6 Z06's are going for relatively cheap -- all the current owners want to dump 'em so they can buy new ones.

Several of us had driven earlier Z06s at other tracks, where we’d been unnerved by at-the-limit high-speed twitchiness. To our surprise and delight, this Z06 took to the track with real assurance, braking deep into turns with no sign of instability and rocketing out of them on a tsunami of torque — slightly sideways, if necessary...We were so surprised by the Z06’s friendly handling that we contacted Tadge Juechter, the vehicle chief engineer for the Corvette, and he told us that, for 2007, the Z06’s shock-damping rates have been trimmed back a little since Jan Magnussen’s epic seven-minute, 43-second lap of the Nürburgring’s Nordschleife, making the car less jumpy at the limit. Bottom line, says Juechter: The car has gotten better.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Agreed.

The workmanship and materials quality is horrible. The performance is certainly fantastic but not enough to make me ever buy one. There are better options out there.
agreed that the materials are so so. personally i wouldn't mind sacrificing some pleasantries for the outrageous lvl of well rounded performance you get.
I drove around in gutted 89' crx with 375f/500r spring rates, no a/c, radio, etc for 3 yrs. It was my daily beater. i later drove a miata that was very cramped. right now i mostly drive my rattlebox '96 240sx with a grinding tranny and a turbo thats on its way out. i can't see a vette being too much worse! :p

as a performance car, its value was unbeatable when it sold for $50k. basically it destroyed vipers, ferraris, and maybe even 996 turbos in its heydey (which was only a few yrs ago). that just makes me appreciate the z06 a lot more. when paid $50k. you knew 90% of that went into go-fast parts, unlike a bmw where a good deal more of the cost prob would go into creature comforts. the z06 is a purpose built performace car imo, and its only purpose is to go fast. its almost like the STi/EVO in a way. i got my STi for the same reason.

the fact that z06's depreciated so much makes it even more of a killer value. its also a much better deal to buy used than new. given that if you look long enough, you can find '02-'04 z06 w/ under 20k mi for less than $30k it makes the evo and sti look like a ripoff. For $30k, there a prob very road legal cars (in stock form), thats that fast. the c6 z06 is no doubt also an exceptional value and remarkable vehicle in itself, but i don't think it can touch the c5 Z06 in value at least right now. hopefully the c6 z06's will be a good value when the c7 z06 debuts.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Plus a mint Z06 will keep its value well after 10 years, a lot better than the STi if you keep it for a while.
actually the c5 z06 depreciate terribly! (which is why used examples are such an awesome deal. its not like they're unreliable either) looking at edmunds.com abnd autotrader a used 04 z06 w/ only a scant 10k mi fetches around 35k! So its depreciated by $20k in 3yrs and 10k mi of driving. thats a pretty painful hit! i truly feel sorry for those who bought the car new at msrp and are planning to sell the car now.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts