Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I connect my iPod to the front USB ports on my Dell, I get the message that I have connected a high-speed USB device to a non-high speed port.

The funny thing is I tried a USB port on the back of the machine and it worked perfectly.

Are some of my USB ports not 2.0?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dell. :mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,648 Posts
USB 2.0 has a different controller, that is how it achieves the faster speeds. The compromise is cost. So don't blame Dell, it is the motherboard manufacturers.

I would NOT recommend using the iPod in the "non high speed' USB ports, because it is a very significant difference in bandwidth. If you didn't get the dock with your iPod (mini, or 10gb), then you can get a USB 2.0 extension cable
1) One example, 6ft
2) Second example, 10ft
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gig103 said:
USB 2.0 has a different controller, that is how it achieves the faster speeds. The compromise is cost. So don't blame Dell, it is the motherboard manufacturers.

I would NOT recommend using the iPod in the "non high speed' USB ports, because it is a very significant difference in bandwidth. If you didn't get the dock with your iPod (mini, or 10gb), then you can get a USB 2.0 extension cable
1) One example, 6ft
2) Second example, 10ft
Yeah, I don't use the front ports now that know they are not 2.0. I already have the cable.

It just seems stupid not to place at least one on the front of the case for easy access.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,648 Posts
I feel that all ports should be just USB 2.0 since they are backwards compatible but that won't happen because of cost.
And as for them putting a front 2.0 port, it won't happen. Not because of Dell or other case manufacturers, but because the motherboard would need to have a separate connector. Motherboards often do not provide that because it brings up cost (need a more capable chip, more surface area for pins, clearances, etc). And until USB 2.0 is more common, they will not find the demand high enough, unfortunately.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aha, I think I see now. Are you are saying the USB ports in the back are directly connected to the motherboard?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,648 Posts
Both sets go into the motherboard, but the ones on the front of the case are wired into a different connector, which goes to a USB 1.1 chip to save money (those 1.1 chips are cheap and can run the front PLUS some on the back)
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
14,046 Posts
a4passata6 said:
When I connect my iPod to the front USB ports on my Dell, I get the message that I have connected a high-speed USB device to a non-high speed port.

The funny thing is I tried a USB port on the back of the machine and it worked perfectly.

Are some of my USB ports not 2.0?
You didn't mention what model Dell. You might alos want to post on Dell's forums.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,095 Posts
usb controllers tend to come with 2 or 4 ports (that I've seen). that's the controller chip.

what motherboards companies do is to often use a controller chip for more ports (usb2) and some legacy controller silicon that might even be in some super i/o chip, already there.

I don't know, but I would guess the cost diff in the raw chips is a buck or so. usb2 is very cheap and common, now (I bought a usb 2.0 hub for under $10, recently). and most of that cost was the plastic and shipping packaging ;)

don't forget that firewire is a better serial bus and preferable over even usb2. your ipod does firewire, right? (or is there some windows version that does only usb?)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, mine will do firewire also. I have been reluctant to buy a firewire card because I really don't understand that much about firewire cards and prices run the gamut from $25 to $250. What the hell is the difference? Can someone recommend one for the iPod and also for DV? I may be buying a DV camcorder soon.

BTW when it is connected to the 2.0 port it really synchs fast enough for me. I think I only have about 2.3 gigs on the iPod now, so as I fill it up 2.0 may become too slow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,095 Posts
firewire is firewire. cards should be $10 or so, in mailorder prices. its VERY cheap.

I might even have a spare fw card if you want. there's no magic to it. fully plug and play.

any firewire card should also speak DV just fine. its the driver and software, not the card.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,172 Posts
If you have the room, you can buy a USB 2.0 PCI card with 4 external ports and one internal port. You can unplug one of the front usb ports from the MB and plug it in at the PCI card.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,095 Posts
pete1 said:
If you have the room, you can buy a USB 2.0 PCI card with 4 external ports and one internal port. You can unplug one of the front usb ports from the MB and plug it in at the PCI card.
heh - you may already HAVE some spare headers on your mobo that are 2.0. look first. guess that should have been obvious (?)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
linux-works said:
firewire is firewire. cards should be $10 or so, in mailorder prices. its VERY cheap.

I might even have a spare fw card if you want. there's no magic to it. fully plug and play.

any firewire card should also speak DV just fine. its the driver and software, not the card.
If you are serious about having a firewire card let me know. I would rather buy it from someone I know than eBay.

When I plug it in it is fully plug and play? Will XP recognize it and all will be good? What software do I need if any? Driver?

BTW I remember reading I need a 6 pin for power to charge the iPod at the same time. Is that right?

BTW why are these $65 at Staples?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,441 Posts
Firewire is plug & play with XP. Shouldn't need anything.
Yes, you need 6-pin to power-up at the same time. Most cards and cables are 6-pin, with 4 pin adapters for use with DV.
*shrug* ask Staples, I paid $15 at CompUSA for a shiny red adaptec model.

Of course, you still have to use the expensive firewire cable for the iPod too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
341 Posts
pete1 said:
If you have the room, you can buy a USB 2.0 PCI card with 4 external ports and one internal port. You can unplug one of the front usb ports from the MB and plug it in at the PCI card.
Thats what I did for my 6 n 1 card reader that came with 2 frontside usb ports. I used the one internal port off the card and then rewired one of the 4 externals to the second front one. Works like a charm.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top