Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I would like to install a new radio to replace my old Monsoon 2 DIN receiver. I need to have a USB port to connect devices to the new receiver. Since my car has a dummy slot available on the dash below the radio, I thought to use that slot with some kind of dash mount, something like these from Beuler Beüler USBD-Kit.

Has anyone used any kind of mount that does not require drilling, cutting, etc..to install a USB port?

Thank you for any suggestions.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
FYI

·
Registered
2 Posts
2014 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI with only 23k miles on it. I've already put about 500 miles on it (dealership was 200 miles away) and haven't had to refill the diesel yet. Looking for a suggestion on a nice sleek or fun USB option. I've got some basic car 9v to USB from a car rental shop but would rather something cleaner.
Kodi nox
Or a way to connect my USB C phone to the MDI port without taking up the small amount of space -- right now my phone fits in there very snug and think the adapter I've seen will make it impossible to put my phone in that middle console when I'm driving.

·
Registered
28,506 Posts
Hi,
I would like to install a new radio to replace my old Monsoon 2 DIN receiver. I need to have a USB port to connect devices to the new receiver. Since my car has a dummy slot available on the dash below the radio, I thought to use that slot with some kind of dash mount, something like these from Beuler Beüler USBD-Kit.

Has anyone used any kind of mount that does not require drilling, cutting, etc..to install a USB port?

Thank you for any suggestions.
It's easy to find a double din replacement radio with a USB connection. I bought one from Best Buy for my son's B5.5 several years ago.

Reactions: VAGguy

·
Registered
811 Posts
When I put my DD radio in the wagon (5 years ago, now?), I got a combo USB/Aux port (eBay, probably) that I mounted in the storage box in the center console.
I don't need 'ready' access to it - there's a flash drive plugged into it. But, if I need to swap drives while I'm driving (rare, but occasionally necessary), I can do it by feel.

No dash cutting, nothing visible, nothing sticking out anywhere. Clean.

I also installed a pair of small red LEDs in the box, so that you can see in there at night.

Pic of box, before installation:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts