Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was posted in our regional forum:
US Preparing for Military Draft in Spring 2005
The current agenda of the US federal government is to reinstate the draft in order to staff up for a protracted war on "terrorism." Pending legislation in the House and Senate (twin bills S 89 and HR 163) would time the program so the draft could begin at early as Spring 2005 -- conveniently just after the 2004 presidential election!

Reinstatement of the draft

Dear Friends and Family,

I urge you to read the article below on the current agenda of the federal government to reinstate the draft in order to staff up for a protracted war on "terrorism."

Pending legislation in the House and Senate (twin bills S 89 and HR 163) would time the program so the draft could begin at early as Spring 2005 -- conveniently just after the 2004 presidential election! But the administration is quietly trying to get these bills passed NOW, so our action is needed immediately. Details and links follow.

If voters who currently support U.S. aggression abroad were confronted with the possibility that their own children or grandchildren might not have a say about whether to fight, many of these same voters might have a change of mind. (Not that it should make a difference, but this plan would among other things eliminate higher education as a shelter and would not exclude women -- and Canada is no longer an option.)

Please send this on to all the parents and teachers you know, and all the aunts and uncles, grandparents, godparents.... And let your children know -- it's their future, and they can be a powerful voice for change! Please also write to your representatives to ask them why they aren't telling their constituents about these bills -- and write to newspapers and other media outlets to ask them why they're not covering this important story.

The Draft*

$28 million has been added to the 2004 Selective Service System (SSS) budget to prepare for a military draft that could start as early as June 15, 2005. SSS must report to Bush on March 31, 2005 that the system, which has lain dormant for decades, is ready for activation. Please see website: http://www.sss.gov/perfplan_fy2004.html to view the SSS Annual Performance Plan - Fiscal Year 2004.

The Pentagon has quietly begun a public campaign to fill all 10,350 draft board positions and 11,070 appeals board slots nationwide.. Though this is an unpopular election year topic, military experts and influential members of Congress are suggesting that if Rumsfeld's prediction of a "long, hard slog" in Iraq and Afghanistan [and a permanent state of war on "terrorism"] proves accurate, the U.S. may have no choice but to draft.

Congress brought twin bills, S. 89 and H.R. 163 forward this year, entitled the Universal National Service Act of 2003, "To provide for the common defense by requiring that all young persons [age 18--26] in the United States, including women, perform a period of military service or a period of civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, and for other purposes." These active bills currently sit in the Committee on Armed Services.

Dodging the draft will be more difficult than those from the Vietnam era remember. College and Canada will not be options. In December 2001, Canada and the US signed a "Smart Border Declaration," which could be used to keep would-be draft dodgers in. Signed by Canada's Minister of Foreign Affairs, John Manley, and US Homeland Security Director, Gov. Tom Ridge, the declaration involves a 30-point plan which implements, among other things, a "pre-clearance agreement" of people entering and departing each country. Reforms aimed at making the draft more equitable along gender and class lines also eliminates higher education as a shelter. Underclassmen would only be able to postpone service until the end of their cur-rent semester. Seniors would have until the end of the academic year.

*This article by Adam Stutz is from the "What's Hot Off the Press" column of the newsletter of Project Censored, a media research group at Sonoma State University that tracks the news published in independent journals and newsletters. From these, Project Censored compiles an annual list (more than 20 years running) of 25 news stories of social significance that have been overlooked, under-reported, or self-censored by the country's major national news media. The mission of Project Censored is "to educate people about the role of independent journalism in a democratic society and to tell The News That Didn't Make the News and why."

"What's Hot Off the Press" includes student synopses of articles currently being investigated for inclusion in the next Project Censored report. For more info and/or to receive Project Censored's newsletter, go to http://www.projectcensored.org, or email [censored]@sonoma.edu

Don't beleive it yet? Go to http://www.senate.gov/pagelayout...e_home.htm and search for "S 89", then later search for "HR 163" where it says "By Number" and you'll find the articles. I would link you to the articles directly but that doesn't work for some reason

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Oh boy... I hate it when I'm right... I was saying this was going to happen over a year ago... ugh... Constant war... scary.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
when the country isn't behind the pres enough - so that they have to FORCE you to fight in his war - then you KNOW something is wrong...

another 4 years of war? if you want that, keep bush in office.

tired of this distraction tactic ('war on terrorism')? vote the asshat out of office.

(ok, flame on...) ;)

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Spirare said:
The transition of a Republic to an Empire begins with a draft... Oh boy!
...and catching a cold ALSO begins with a draft. ;)

or so they say.

·
Registered
525 Posts
That article is crap. Those bills were introduced as political statements and don't have any significant support.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
That's good to hear. So if the article is crap is it wrong? I'm serious. I would hope the bills don't have any support, but I thought the war wouldn't have any either. Who introduced those Bills then?

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I think one was introduced by a minority congressman from NYC. He wanted to make a point that if the upper-classes children were at risk of being drafted then the support for W's preemptive strike on Iraq would not have been as high as it was.

If I remember correctly...

·
Registered
525 Posts
Andrew said:
I think one was introduced by a minority congressman from NYC. He wanted to make a point that if the upper-classes children were at risk of being drafted then the support for W's preemptive strike on Iraq would not have been as high as it was.

That's exactly right. It was Rep. Rangel, and the reasoning was, as you stated, that the current makeup of the armed services does not reflect that of the general population in terms of ethnicity and economic status.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Andrew said:

yes, I remember this. its a 'tit for tat' bill. you can't send someone ELSES kids off to war if you're not willing to send your OWN. good idea, in theory.

instead of a draft, which affects everyone, why not just have a congress-only draft? so that kids from well-to-do parents don't ALWAYS get the free ride that they currently get (sigh!)

·
Registered
902 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Rangel calls for mandatory military service
Monday, December 30, 2002 Posted: 1:46 PM EST (1846 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A Democratic lawmaker said Sunday he will introduce a bill in the next session of Congress to make military service mandatory.

Rep. Charles Rangel, D-New York, said such legislation could make members of Congress more reluctant to authorize military action.

"I'm going to introduce legislation to have universal military service to let everyone have an opportunity to defend the free world against the threats coming to us," Rangel said on CNN's "Late Edition."

"I'm talking about mandatory service."

The Korean War veteran has accused the Bush administration and some fellow lawmakers of being too willing to go to war with Iraq.

In October, he voted against a joint resolution authorizing military action against Iraq. It passed 296-133 in the House and 77-23 in the Senate.

"When you talk about a war, you're talking about ground troops, you're talking about enlisted people, and they don't come from the kids and members of Congress," he said.

"I think, if we went home and found out that there were families concerned about their kids going off to war, there would be more cautiousness and a more willingness to work with the international community than to say, 'Our way or the highway.' "

Rangel did not provide specifics of his proposal.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Universal National Service Act of 2003 (Introduced in House)

HR 163 IH

108th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 163
To provide for the common defense by requiring that all young persons in the United States, including women, perform a period of military service or a period of civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, and for other purposes.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

January 7, 2003
Mr. RANGEL (for himself, Mr. MCDERMOTT, Mr. CONYERS, Mr. LEWIS of Georgia, Mr. STARK, and Mr. ABERCROMBIE) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on Armed Services

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A BILL
To provide for the common defense by requiring that all young persons in the United States, including women, perform a period of military service or a period of civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, and for other purposes.

**************************************************************************************************************************

Universal National Service Act of 2003 (Introduced in Senate)

S 89 IS

108th CONGRESS

1st Session

S. 89

IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES

January 7, 2003
Mr. HOLLINGS introduced the following bill; which was read twice and referred to the Committee on Armed Services

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A BILL

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
damned smart idea.

force the 'lawgivers' to eat their own dogfood.

its about time.

just don't force the whole country to have to play their wargames. send congresscritters' kids in FIRST. see how they love the notion of war when it hits home.

bravo!

except you just KNOW that the ones making the laws will find ways to avoid their kids from seeing duty. bush himself landed in 'champagne' (as is typical) - and so I don't think the intended fix will really fix anything. too bad, though.

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
I have to be honest here.....

Its great not to be a citizen and having a green card....I can always move anywhere I want....if they do pick me :lol:

Its not that I dont want to go to war or that Im anti American or anything....my kids and wife are American so thats not the case....its just that I dont believe in the little f$#@in games our government is playing.....cause in the end they are playing with everyday people's lives and money. And Im not fighting for that....however if worst comes to worst and someone attacts us....then I would do whatever it takes.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
passaturbonium said:
I have to be honest here.....

Its great not to be a citizen and having a green card....I can always move anywhere I want....if they do pick me :lol:

Its not that I dont want to go to war or that Im anti American or anything....my kids and wife are American so thats not the case....its just that I dont believe in the little f$#@in games our government is playing.....cause in the end they are playing with everyday people's lives and money. And Im not fighting for that....however if worst comes to worst and someone attacts us....then I would do whatever it takes.
you state an important issue.

what if The People don't agree with the money and power grab that the gov wants to force on us? are we duty-bound to fight THEIR war even if we think its not a just one?

in many countries, there is mandatory service.

others don't force their people to die in wars if they don't believe in them.

I guess what I'm saying is that any 'just' war WILL have popular support for it and you won't NEED a draft. similarly, if people don't get behind the warmongering, then THAT also needs to be realized and perhaps the nation should NEVER go to war unless the people themselves also agree its a Good Thing(tm).

there are some wars I'd fight in. the last 2 in iraq were a waste of lives and there's no way I'd have gone to either one. they were BAD and UNJUST wars. giving your life is a BIG decision - never ever to be given away simply because some high-up politician needs brownie points to distract the country from its own local problems...

1 - 20 of 100 Posts