Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks
I had a ticking noise in the engine. The dealer diagnosed it was a water pump noise and they are going to replace it under warranty. Should I do the timing belt at the same time. The car has 67 k miles right now. Do they have to remove the belt to get to the water pump? Please help ASAP so I can call the dealer back.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
941 Posts
sameero said:
Folks
I had a ticking noise in the engine. The dealer diagnosed it was a water pump noise and they are going to replace it under warranty. Should I do the timing belt at the same time. The car has 67 k miles right now. Do they have to remove the belt to get to the water pump? Please help ASAP so I can call the dealer back.

Thanks!!
Getting to the pump is as close as your going to get to the belt. Might as well replace it while your there. Don't hesitate have them do it now. Much cheaper than doing the belt alone. Make sure they hand you the old belt back.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Yes, have them do the belt AND tensioner in addition to the water pump.

There will be a little additional labor to go ahead and pull the crank pulley off, but it is certainly cheaper and worthwhile to do all this now in one shot.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just called them. He said they will replace the belt and the tensioner and they will still charge me 1 hour labor for the tensioner replacement :mad: . So my total for the timingbelt, fan belt and the tensioner will $270. Does that sound decent for a stealership?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yes, that sounds pretty good, although steep for 1 hr labor. Jump on that right away. That's probly the cheapest TB replacement you will ever get short of doing it yourself.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I expect they are charging the higher of the two labor rates commonly found at the dealer. $65-80 for that hour of labor is worth it. The parts are roughly $150-200 at dealer prices, no?

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
That extra hour of labor is PERFECTLY in line with what I was saying.

Don't forget that you're talking to a SERVICE ADVISOR, who probably has no idea what the additional hour would be for-taking the crank pulley off and setting up the engine for the new belt. His or her ignorance is why they said the hour was for the tensioner....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
Sharky
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing