Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to hire a passat estate car but I need to fit an object with the following dimensions into it:

Height 177cm
Width 64cm
Depth 73cm

Does anybody know if it will fit. They told me it was an 'estate' car on the phone, but the guy doesn't speak metric, so I couldn't tell him the dimensions in Inches.

Please reply ASAP as I want to book this rentacar today if I can persuade my father to hire it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WagenMeister said:
Yes with the back seat folded it will fit fine, you have about 10 cms to spare in the length. width and height are not an issue. :)
You are a star. Thanks SO much for the fast reply :)
My dad has no excuse for not taking me now :)

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
HA HA Ha, an Estate. You have to be English :)
The last time I heard that expression was when I lived in Plymouth UK.

·
Registered
481 Posts
glxpassat said:
V6er said:
HA HA Ha, an Estate. You have to be English :)
The last time I heard that expression was when I lived in Plymouth UK.
I have never heard it called "estate" ;-)
Perhaps he/she should have called it a "shooting brake" instead !

Ok so estate makes no sence, but station wagon ? What's that about then ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think the americans call them 'Saloon cars'.
I thought it was a PKW or something like that in German, maybe not.
I have never heard it called Variant, but Kombi rings a bell.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I always thought saloon/estate were British terms... saloon(uk)=sedan(us), estate(uk)=wagon(us).

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
You say estate and I'm thinking an estate that you live in like a castle or something... :crazy:

I couldn't figure out what you meant at first...I thought you were trying to hire some kind of limo service or something... I think my brain is playing an april fool's joke on me today cause its not working...

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
LoneStarPoke said:
You say estate and I'm thinking an estate that you live in like a castle or something...
^^That's the idea - if you need a wagon to move stuff around you may have an estate or similar responsibilities; if you can bend the arm at the saloon all day long, you probably drive a sedan. :suspicio:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Pete1 is correct. And further:
fixed head(uk)=hardtop in NorAm - as say 1956 Chev Belair 4 doord hardtop (pillarless)
drop head(uk)= convertible n NorAm
Shooting Brake has been used in the past (e.g. Aston Martin DB4 or 5 Shooting Brake). If you can afford one of those you can call it anything you like..
:bow:

·
Registered
917 Posts
The Great Roberto said:
Ok so estate makes no sence, but station wagon ? What's that about then ?
Here you go:

Dictionary.com said:
station wagon
n.
An automobile having an extended interior with a third seat or luggage platform and a tailgate.

[Originally a covered wagon used to convey passengers from a train station to their hotel.]

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Boy, talk about highjacking a thread :D

I thought a shooting brake was a two door estate/wagon/variant :???:

Oh, and I heard somewhere that the estate car got it's name in much the same way as the station wagon. It was a car used to haul stuff around large Estates (the castles we know all you Brits live in :wink: )

1 - 20 of 22 Posts