Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 98 1.8 tip is acting really funny. I was just replacing a blown radio fuse and all of a sudden my car (in auto mode) wont shift itself past 4th gear. The shift light on the dash has blocks highlighting all the symbols (rather than the gear the car is in). Where did i go wrong?

8,184 Posts
Why or how can you can install the fuses while driving? Did you go back and check every fuse and look at the panel to see if they are all in the right place?
Next question does your car shift even if the LCD states 4 gear?? More details like whats really going on...just lights acting funny, heat seats work, curse control work..then its likly you did something to the CCM. If the Tranny isn't shifting..well thats a diff problem in itself. Check the fuse, if the clock, heated seats, cruse control works, and the MPG and clock. Then tell us what you find out

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
My car did that too but at a random point, it is the car in safe mode, something is wrong, for me it was a new tranny but not to freak you out. Hey did you put the correct fuse in and or hit another fuse and how did u blow the radio fuse. somthing must be up, i say if none of that disconnect the battery to reset the ecu. then see what happens. if nothing then bring it in to the shop.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well now the check engine light is on and yeah ive already tried disconnecting the battery. What i was trying to say is that when the car is in drive, it wont shift to 5th gear. The symbols on the dash (PRND432) are all highlighted. Ill just take it into the shop tomorrow. Does anyone have a pic or diagram? Maybe i just accidentally rearranged the fuses.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Ya when all of those lights are lit up, it is in safe mode. It protects the car from shifting into a destruction of your car.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
when mine went into safe mode, i took it in and got a new tranny and so now mine is out of safe mode, No idea otherwise, sorry

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My dad went to get the car fixed today. He said he got three fault codes and it costed 147 bucks to fix the problem. He wont tell me what the codes were and what the shop had to fix because he says he's pissed about how i try to 'mess with the car'. Its personal problems guys but thanks for your help anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts