Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP PLease!
Does anyone know the correct technique to compress the rear caliper piston for pad repacement?

I'm in the middle (literally) of replacing the rear pads on my 02 Passat and cannot compress the piston to insert the new pads. Does the parking brake have anything to do with the piston compression?

'02 Passat, 2wd 2.8

·
Registered
872 Posts
Make sure your parking brake is off.

I used a big C-clamp and a pair of channel lock pliers. Turn clockwise as you compress. It helps to have an extra pair of hands too. Be sure not to damage the boot around the piston too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You need to screw the piston back into it's bore by pushing on it and turning it at the same time. There are two slots in the piston face that you need to stick something in to turn it. The special tool that does this has a disc with two pegs that seat in the slots, and a threaded rod that screws through a plate that bears on the outer pad seat. I ended up spending three hours making the tool when I got stuck in your situation two weeks ago.

·
Registered
612 Posts
HA! The samething just happened to me yesterday! I think the info forum write up needs to have this included in there somewhere. Took me a while to come up with the c clamp and big needle nose plyers idea. But once it got figured out the job was a breeze. My rear pads were in dangerous need of replacing when I took them out.

In a few weeks I will also be attempting the fronts. New ATE Powerdiscs and Ultimate pads all around.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the timely information. The right rear went well. I used a rotor piston compressor (generic tool from parts house) combined with a pair of channellock pliers.
The left rear was a differrent story. I could not move the piston in. It would turn, but not compress. Ended up taking the vehicle to my favorite local euro repair shop. They rebuilt the caliper (or used the proper tool!)

Again, thanks for the very timely responses!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was also changing the rear pad this very evening and the piston would not
compress. Cap was off the main reservoir and I used my home made bleeder
bottle attatched to the bleeder valve on the caliper, opened a little and still the piston would not budge. I am going to buy the special tool that compresses and turns the piston at the same time. Maybe the caliper needs to be rebuilt as the car is a 1999 w/ 119000 miles. Will update.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts