Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finally planning on upgrading my ECU, although most places where I live charge big money for installation. This guy that i bought my wheels and tires off of told me about his friends "chip tuning business". He says he can get me everything, including installation for $540 CND. He would be installing an UPsolute chip, with a 91 octane program. Does anyone have this chip, how does it perfrom?

his website is http://www.10xtuning.com , check it out

-merk20vt

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have the Upsolute chip and I like it. At the time, it was the best bang for the buck. All the chips yield similar HP and torque numbers. I have one in my 2003 variant and my wife has one in her 2001 sedan. We both kike them. I find the Upsolute chip to be very driveable, though the throttle response in my 2003 is less linear than that of my wife's 2001.

Go for it! I have *no* regrets.

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
I'm getting the Upsolute chip next Saturday - it doesn't provide the same amount of torque as some of the others but the numbers are for non DBW 195hp and something like 197 tq. I'm having scotty_passat do mine as he's a rep for Upsolute and is fairly local - you may want to check in with him for more details - he's been really good about responding to my questions and has been really straightforward with me.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
My car had a neat little problem with the Upsolute chip. At a traffic light or a stop at certain times the car would simply shut off. Oddly enough some other members with the same ECU code had the exact same problem. What especially humored me about the problem was the fact that both company and rep seemed to blame my car rather then their own product (the only change to the car prior to it starting that issue) Performance is good with the upsolute chip but if I were to be chipping my car again I'd be more inclined to go with a company with better customer service

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Z28Driver said:
Performance is good with the upsolute chip but if I were to be chipping my car again I'd be more inclined to go with a company with better customer service
I heard WETT!

I made a decision between Upsolute and Wetterauer but the Upsolute Rep I was talking to, I didnt feel comfortable that he was just doing chipping as a side job. While Wett on the otherhand does chip tuning everyday.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We have chipped quite a few Passat 1.8t and V6. All of my customers were very happy with the UPsolute chip. Even though as one of the guy said that we do the chipping as a side job, we give out customer support the same as a full time shop and we do the work in a fully equipped shop and have tech's available other than me. We not only do chipping for VW/Audi, we also chip Volvo, BMW, Benz, Porsche, and we are basically the only trained UPsolute dealer in Canada to chip all those cars. Also UPsolute chips is the only brand which some dealerships are willing to include as an option on brand new cars. As of current, VW Villa, Martin Grove VW, and AMD Automotive (used Volvo dealership/service centre)are carrying our chips, and more to come as they are being tested by dealerships and approved.

One more benefit for going with us is that we offer free vag-com diagonostic checks for all our customers. We can clear and read check engine lights and this is a plus for those cars which are out of warranty being that it costs aroudn $65/scan at the dealership. That's not something other brands/dealers are offering to their customers.

Also if you are comparing numbers with UPsolute and Wett, the torque numbers might be a big difference, but it depends on how it was calculated. The torque, which I heard from a few people does not loose throughout the powertrain, so actually the torque at the wheel is the same as the torque at the crank. Wett seems to have included the 15% drivetrain loss into the torque numbers which seems to have much more torque thant he UPsolute chips and other brands.

Gary
10X Tuning

·
Registered
229 Posts
Chalk up another very satisfied customer here. 2001.5 Passat 1.8T manual. I even had great customer service (tons of atypical questions answered as I was using a used ECU and had to mate it to the cars Immobilizer). Not a single hickup in nearly 2 years and 27000 miles.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I've been running UPsolute software in my car since January 2001 (mine was the first DBW 1.8T they did in Canada) and I've not had a chip related problem in over 3 years. I originally went with UPsolute because of their top-notch reputation in the TDI market and because there software seemed to be a better value.

Since then I've had the remote switch installed and also had my UPsolute rep install a GIAC Tip chip for me, that I bought here in the Classifieds.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I have a 2001.5 AWM 1.8T and had the upsolute chip and had a LOT of problems. This particular year was very buggy. If you have a 2001.5 Passat, STAY AWAY FROM UPSOLUTE! I ended up getting a GIAC and LOVE it.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the info :thumbup:
I have decide to go ahead with the UPsolute chip becuase of it's availablilty. Also becuase of the FREE VAG-COM :lol:
I will be contacting Gary to try and set up a appointment for this Saturday.

merk20vt

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
merk20VT said:
I have decide to go ahead with the UPsolute chip becuase of it's availablilty. Also becuase of the FREE VAG-COM :lol:

merk20vt
I'm getting chipped on Saturday with the Upsolute chip. Make sure you let us know what you think of it when you get it done and I'll be sure to do the same.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
you never do say what year your car is but i agree with what vwjedi says pretty much if you have a 2001.5 you are going to have issues otherwise everyone seems to be fine

·
Registered
8 Posts
merk20VT said:

merk20vt
Just to clear things up. Free vag-com diagnostic checks, not the software/cable. lol~ :) So if the CEL is on, we can scan your car for free.

Gary

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:lol: sorry, i meant a free VAG-COM check :lol:

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
00Psst said:
I'm getting chipped on Saturday with the Upsolute chip. Make sure you let us know what you think of it when you get it done and I'll be sure to do the same.
For sure, i just contacted Gary at 10xtuning, and told him i would like to get it installed this Saturday. I guess i'll post my review on this thread for those who are interested.

merk20vt

·
Registered
229 Posts
Z28Driver said:
you never do say what year your car is but i agree with what vwjedi says pretty much if you have a 2001.5 you are going to have issues otherwise everyone seems to be fine
So Z28, what issues have I had other than excellent service? This sweeping statement is obviously incorrect. Yes, apparantly some 2001.5s have had problems, however, it is not a given as you would like to believe.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
11 Participants
00Psst
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing