Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have 235/45/18 tires.
What has anyone here upped the tire size to without a problem. That is staying with 18" rims.
Thx

·
Registered
451 Posts
Hello Kid,
a 255.40 is only 20mm wider than stock and .3 inches shorter or smaller diameter, but it's a lot of tire to put on an eight inch wide wheel; a 245.45.18 is .4 inches taller and a better fit as well as cheaper

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,287 Posts
not sure what the end game is but most of us try to stay with the same overall diameter. For instance, a 225/45/17 is the same diameter as the 195/65/15. This keeps the mileage and speedo correct.

·
Registered
451 Posts
The oem tire size of my 04 glx is 205.55.16. I'm presently using 225.50.17s, and gps tracking by phone app Waze suggest my speedo is reasonbly accurate. I any event, it would only be 4.2% faster or approximately 73 if the speedo reads 70. The difference I find with oversized tires is that steering boost feels diminished making parallel parking more work, but highway driving feels more secure.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, been away for 10 day trip. In any car I've ever had I always go one or two sizes up from the factory tires. On my former 2002 Jetta I moved up one size and the speedo was bang on. All VW's seem to have a built in HIGH reading on the speedo. My Passat will read 100k/h but the real speed is 96k/h. These speed readings are done with a GPS on nice long flat stretches of road.

I have no intentions of lowering the car, if anything I would prefer a bit more height since the Passat is a little lower than my Jetta was. I spend 5 1/2 months in Mexico during the winter and the speed bumps are horrible there. The Jetta would scrape across some speed bumps.

As GrandpaBill suggests, when the time comes I will get the 245.45.18 tires. It would be all four tires. The added 0.4 inches height would be a bonus for me.

Thanks for your inputs.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
245/45 will not fit
May I ask you to elaborate on your statement?

My stock 235 x 45 x 18 tires are 9.25" wide and the tire wall height is 4.16"

On a 245 x 45 x 18 tire, the width is 9.64" and the tire wall height is 4.33" which makes this tire 0.39" wider and 0.23" taller (Actually the real TOTAL extra height would be twice 0.23 = 0.46 as GrandpaBill suggested.) Though it really only adds 0.23 extra ground clearance.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,287 Posts
Oh wow. Ricers? We're not talking slammed. Just a little lower. Even 2" is still practical.
When I had my b7, it was laughably high. A 1" drop would've been dead sexy and everyday drivable in the US. I get why you don't need it, but claiming it is ricer is a but much.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts