Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I am introducing my request and need of help here.
I am driving a 2001 Passat V6 4motion auto gearbox, motor type AMX.

So here is my concern. The upper oil reservoir of this beautiful lady is cracked. And the leak is quite huge, about a liter a week. So I am heading to replace it asap by a brand new one which i bought already, for a low price.
I have been navigating on the world wide web but I didn't find any procedure to do so.

Does anybody here would have experience on that? I do know I have to release the underframe of the engine but what else ?
Do I have to lift up the engine to remove the underframe... ?

Thanks for your advice guys.

Peace

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
The engine needs to be supported to remove the sub-frame. There are tools made for this (eg Schwaben Deluxe Engine Support Bar )
or you can use a strong piece of wood or metal beam across the fenders and a chain attached to the top of the engine. Be sure to put something on top of the fenders so they don't get dented or scraped and use strong parts as the engine is heavy. The engine/trans can move a few inches up/down but any more than that risks damaging hoses, connections, wires, etc so it's best to try to minimize the motion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks buddy for the quick reply.
Ok so I reckon I do not need to unbolt any support of the engine, except the bolts of the underframe. Is that right?
I will find out how to make this kind of great tool.

Any advice for the joint (white joint) at the upper surface of the upper oil reservoir?

Peace

·
Registered
27,231 Posts
There will be more room to work if you remove the lower motor mount bolts. Here is how it looked when I pulled a 1.8T pan, you can see the gap from the motor mount. Now think about how much larger and wider the V6 is, this extra room would really help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks man.
As far as I can see on the pictures, the V6 is not mounted exactly the same. And I reckon there is more space at the front. But i will check it before lifting up the car to make the job, and will come back for any advice according to what I did see.

If any people know about the V6 (AMX type) and have advice also.

·
Registered
27,231 Posts
The motor mounts and subframe are the same for Tip models. The front mount is different, the bracket has 3 allen bolts attached to the motor. The V6 is shorter front to back, but wider. The upper gasket is sealant.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi guys,
Here i come to you after having done the work on this wonderful lady..
Everything came ok. Except I did not manage to mount back the support on the front frame in which the bracket with the 3 allen moves with the foam coussinet. And also the upper allen screw on the bracket, tiny tiny space for my fingers. Any advice welcome.

One thing strange, I have this message since the work done. I did fill up with 5.5L of 5w30 VW504 507. And no leak under the car. I don't speack german but I understand it is question of oil pressure.
Any help much welcome.

Peace

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wiring of the pressure sensor next to the oil filter is ok.
The oil/screen pick up is it the manual gauge to check oil level under the hood?

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Wiring of the pressure sensor next to the oil filter is ok.
The oil/screen pick up is it the manual gauge to check oil level under the hood?
Maybe something has been lost in translation, if I understand correctly you have/had an "upper" oil leak in your engine oil reservoir/pan ,the V6 has a lower pan,then an intermediate pan,then the engine block, you replaced the "intermediate" pan/reservoir correct? If so you had to remove oil pickup tube/screen assembly,this is where I refer to the o-ring that is needed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes indeed i have replaced the intermediate pan. and yes i did not plug fully back the o ring with the pipe in the intermediate pan. Tried by hand from outside but i guess i have to pull it from inside.

Both wirings and plugs are ok.

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
As suggested by cchief22, first make sure the o-ring on oil/screen pick up tube is good.
Remove the oil temp/level sensor and thoroughly clean with good solvent. (carb cleaner/brake cleaner)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I checked and the white o-ring on oil/screen pick up tube is in good shape. The oil pressure is then I guess very low to what it should be I guess since the pick up tube clearly moves and is not oilproof fixed in the intermediate pan. Tell me if I am wrong. Any tips to make to tube moving back in the intermediate pan?

About the oil temp/level sensor is the one screwed with 3 M6 underneath the lower pan? If so, to clean it I need to flush oil from the engine to remove it.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi guys,

There is a tiny white o-ring. But anyway, i did fit the tube well, and cleaning the sensor with carb cleaner. Put back the oil. But it is still doing it, screening the issue of oil pressure.
And thete is a cling cling noise which was not thete before. What do you reckon?

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts