Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to take on replacing my halfshafts due to CV joints being completely trashed.

In the process of trying to get the pinch bolt out in accordance with this thread, I'm stuck. I cut off the pinch bolt at the opening nearest to the head of the bolt, broke the head of the bolt off, and then put washers on the other end to ease out the bolt as I tightened down on the nut...and now I've STRIPPED THE THREADS! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

how the devil am I going to get it out of there, guys??? right now, I am completely screwed; I can't quite get the halfshaft back in, and the now cut-off and trashed pinch bolt won't come out...

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Drill it out, center punch and small bits to start, work your way up. It will take 1/2 hour to drill it out, but it works, hopefully you picked up a space.

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm considering using an airchisel to shake it loose. I'll have to cut a notch on the edge of the bolt so I have a place to drive it...
however, I'm done for the day now. I need a break!

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
man oh man.
you dont need to take any of the suspension apart.
i did mine today and took 35 minutes..
out, apart, cleaned, regreased & booted and back in.
all you have to do is take that shield above the back of it off with a 6mm allen(3 bolts one on top 2 on sides.) , turn the wheel all the way to the right pull the axle and lift up and toward the front after the back is free.thats it, out.
back in same way.
I did the drivers side, pass should be the same.
just be careful and pull the abs sensor out then just stick it in a touch.
back in same way.
also make sure you dont have grease or bang the abs ring on the axle or you will have a nice abs pulse as soon as you start to drive.
and remember to push the abs sensor back in when you are done...i forgot and was like WTF!!!

·
Registered
633 Posts
I am really surprised the first technique didn't work for you. I had been treating the bolt for a week before hand with PB blaster which might have helped and was also carefull to grease the threads before using them to pull the bolt out. it might have been possible to re cut the threads on the bolt and use a better nut to do the pulling but that doesn't help you now. I guess in the future I will recommend people use a greased coupling nut to do the pulling thereby reducing the chance of ruining the threads.
I hope you eventually get the bolt out.
good luck

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Sawzall and/or blowtorch come to mind.... just be careful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts