Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
15,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Keep a lookout for uprades to the discussion forum software. The software will be worked on over the weekends for the next month or so.

We will be adding a lot of cool new features that I feel most of you will really like.

Big thanks to Macabre for his help is completing all of these upgrades to the software.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
do we really need the PHPBB graphic wasting time and space in every page??

·
Banned
15,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no we don't. Thats why it wont be there much longer. That space will be used for a small graphic of the forum sponsor to help expose their name a little more. If a company is willing to step forward and support our community by sponsoring a forum, I feel thats the least we could do.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
on EVERY PAGE we have to see some ad/logo? does that instill us to love this company?

sure, we appreciate helping keep b5 on the air. but in-your-face ads tend to annoy more than endear.

·
Banned
15,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no no no, not on every page. Every forum will have their own graphic/logo like zeroforum and ubb, but the 2 sponsored forums will just have a small tag that states: "sponsored by _______"

thats all...

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
text tags are fine. they don't eat bandwidth (yours and ours) and we can read them and not get annoyed. hopefully no blinking text, no motion, just a message (maybe make it a simple text link to their site?)

cool - and hope it doesn't get overboard. this is a nice place to hang out and I hope it stays tasteful in its page layouts and ad proportions.

thanks

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Thanks for adding the quick reply addon, it is a great feature. I'm not too worried about the sponsor banners. Since I don't fund this site (although I've had no problem giving in the past) I think it's great we can give recognition to those businesses helping with the extraordinary costs of running this site.

Thanks again for putting in the effort to make the site even better.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
do you think its possible to make the quick reply box a user-settable config parm?

I actually don't like seeing it.

even better, create a default setting, on a per user basis, that says 'for user blah, he wants quick-post to appear'. but also allow overrides on a per thread basis.

so here's the use-case: I might set my default disposition to be 'don't show quick-reply box'. but for active threads that I am currently participating in, I might set that mode to be 'show the box' on just that thread. all others keep their state.

that way we minimize the 'noise' factor on our screens and still allow the 'reply box' to show up when the user really thinks it makes sense.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
The quick reply thing is great but in the emoticons when I hit the "ALL" button a pop up on my screen shows this - "hacking attempt1" but the additional emoticons do not come up, just that text. Oh and by the way, I'm not trying to hack... :lol:

·
Banned
15,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In my opinion, from what I am picturing, the graphics will be VERY clean and tasteful...and will brighten up the forums more than anything.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
The new Ban List red x is soo ominous looking... :nervous: :lol:

·
Registered
869 Posts
I dislike the quick reply box, even though I'm using it right now! :???:

How about signatures? Really helps to differentiate the posts in my head.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
There are lots of posts on sigs, they will be back, you can do a search or just look for this sig post things in this forum or under comments suggestions.

Also, just so it's known, quick reply is awesome!

·
Registered
303 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
gietl said:
There are lots of posts on sigs, they will be back, you can do a search or just look for this sig post things in this forum or under comments suggestions.

Also, just so it's known, quick reply is awesome!
yeah, but that thread said that sigs would be up "within the week", which was a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Patience is a virtue, I don't think they are forgotten, just a little tricky to customize and limit what goes into the sigs. Have faith, Thanasi provides this site for FREE to us, so a little extra waiting shouldn't be that much to ask. ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts