Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my front discs is warped. I'm going to replace these. but I thought that maybe i could upgrade to the 312 mm discs that are used in the newer V6 TDI (and V6 gas?) models and Audi A6.
I've been scannning www.passat3b.de for this, but have not reached a conclusion yet on if it is doable and what I would need to replace exactly.

What I've found so far is that I would need:
1. New discs (of course). There are plain faced ventilated rotors and drilled ones from the Audi A8. I just want plain ones. 2x: 8D0615301J ca 100 Euro
2. Carriers. These have to be replaced. 2x: 4B0615125 ca 110 Euro. I've seen upgrades that talk about audi TT carriers. Are these the same?
3. New pads: 4B0698151J 100 euro

It seems I don't need calipers. The current calipers for the 288mm discs can be re-used for the 312mm discs.

Can anyone verify this? Anything else I need to consider?

Do you have another suggestion for pads with a wear sensor?

Anybody know something about the so-called NBL: Nass brems losung these guys at passat3b.de are talking about? I've had my share of no-brake action seconds when driving on the autoroute and autobahn, so I guess I have to ask my dealer for this.

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
The assembled kit above is basically an assemblage of VW bin parts from various autos.

Audi TT caliper carriers, and rotors from the 99 A8. As mentioned a nice setup. I've been very happy with it.

ECS makes it an easy purchase (since it's all assembled for you), and I'm sure they'd be happy to send it over the pond... although it may be cheaper for you to assemble the parts there in France.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Are the new calipers required?

·
Registered
628 Posts
I'm really think of purchasing the ECS Stage 2 kit this summer for two reasons. First I'm going to do some track events this year and second they just look so cool... :lol:

Can anyone comment on the performance of the ECS kit? How hard is it to replace the pads. What type of pads would you use with the kit?

Thanks

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I'm not trying to buy anything in the US, since transportation is expen$ive (I've seen prices of around 230$ for shipping). And then I'd have to pay import tax. No thanks :sad:
I'd rather go the the dealer here in Europe. But I need the correct parts numbers.
One dealer i went to here in Paris was not really happy about doing this kind of 'bricolage' (DIY). He'd rather keep things stock. he said that the caliper numbers were not the same either between 288 and 312mm..

I've found this thread and a link to an audi install writeup in german that describe the process. I guess I have to talk to another dealer, one willing to think with me. :)

·
Registered
678 Posts
The easiest way is to get a 312mm x 25mm rotor and TT carriers and your done. ATE who are oem suppliers to VW make a plain 312 rotar its really that simple and you will have an ATE distributor in France. I believe the A8 rotor is also the same dimensions so try that as well.

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
our lines are short, and internally braided, so the result isn't WOW. I did it to my 98 1.8T, and it was only slightly noticable in regards to pedal feel... given the financial utility of the $$ output, it a boarderline choice, IMHO.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts