Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pleased with the look and the overall ride is still nice, but definately different than running the stocks. I anticipated the road noise but one thing I was not ready for was how sketchy the steering has become. It is very touchy, is this normal when moving to 18". I have had 17" on our othewr cars and never felt this. The only thing that is different is that I spaced the wheels out 3mm, due to tire clearance. Is the feel the result of spacing or the tire I am running. I have kumho ecsta 712 240-45-18 on 18x8 35mm offset mille miglia evo 5. Let me know what you think. Thanks

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
You will feel EVERYTHING on the roads! If its not flat it might pull when braking/accelerating. If you'r lowered the corners should feel tighter, not much giving in the tires.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
18"

You hit the nail on the head, I can feel everything. Lowering was my next project, better start saving. Do you recommend any one brand of springs and dampers? Let me know

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Hehe, one brand. There are so many, and pretty much everybody seems to be happy with their set up. I'll all depend on what you want to do and how much you want to spend. Look around and do some research. Narrow it down a little bit.

·
Registered
134 Posts
If you are running 240-45-18 and the correct size is 225-40-18 or 245-35-18, then you are a total of nearly 1 and a half inches too large in diameter and that "feeling" is more wheel deflection than roughness. They are too wide, too large and too heavy for the B5 front end. I bet they look cool though.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tires

So I feel this because of the tire size. I would buy that since vw recommends 225-40-18. Am I wrecking the car running these tires. Please let me know

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
225-40-18 or 235-40-18... anything else is just crazy. ;)

no, i don't think you are messing up the car by running those tires, as long as you're not rubbing. You're speedometer is now way off though.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I got the same response too. I was begining to think I did something wrong in installing the wheels. Like, maybe the bolts weren't tight enough or I forgot to put a Center ring.
Its especially weird on roads that are so formed becuase of heavy vehicle use. streering would have a mind of its own.

amazing. You go from a 195 to a 225 size and you get a really heaving steering.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I got H+R/Bilsteins (Fronts on lowest perch) Love'em! Little rough at times, but I live in boston and the roads are absolute sh%t compared to the CA roads I'm used to. But still love the look! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tires

You are right about having a mind of its own, we drove down to Delaware this weekend and when I was on 202 the damn wheel took over. It felt like auto pilot, but in a bad way. Oh well at least I know I am not the only one that feels the weirdness.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts