Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alexdrivesapassat and I made the drive to Valpo to have Kelly and Dave work their magic on our cars. I had originally opted to get the 1 bar chip because my car was bone stock at the time, but after the suspension mods and the exhaust, I was now looking for something more aggressive.

She gave me a version 2 chip that boosts somewhere between 1.1 and 1.2 bar. Right after putting it in, I noticed an improvement in throttle response between 2k-4k rpms. It pulls noticably harder at those RPMs than the old chip I had. Because of the added power down low, the car also feels smoother and less peaky than the old 1 bar.

So far, no problems as of yet...not a single CEL or anything out of the ordinary. It gets a big :thumbup: from me

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
do you have an upgraded exhaust?
AFAIK the 1.1 bar chip is only for those with upgraded exhaust. Nice to hear you are enjoying the added power

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
I've been running the Stage 2 Wett chip for well over a year now. It behaves itself very nicely in terms of drivabiliity. It puts a big grin on my face when I hammer the throttle too.

Kenny

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
If you have the 1 bar chip how much is it for her to upgrade to the 1.2 bar??? or do u just buy a whole new chip?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a Brullen installed on my car a couple of months ago. Kelly also didn't charge me anything for the upgrade. :bow:

The car is going on the dyno next sunday. I'll post my results

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
pacent said:
I had a Brullen installed on my car a couple of months ago. Kelly also didn't charge me anything for the upgrade. :bow:

Dyno sheet would be interesting to see. I've been running exact set up, brullen with StageII Wett for over a year now. To add even more smooth and boost of power, check out the N75-J valve. I hope you've also got an upgraded DV, at least get a TT DV for the run.

LOL, it will be like dynoing my car if you have a tiptronic. :D

BTW, make sure to swap your front wheels to 15" stock for the run. Big wheels will tax you on the dyno as it does on the track.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How much hp can I expect to lose if I run on my 18s instead of the stock 15s? I sorta want to see how much I put down with the exact setup I run during the summer.

Passat2001.5, yup my car is a tip...and its running with a TT DV. Any problems with your car running stage II wett with the n75 J valve? I remember reading some people overboost and go into limp.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Awesome! This is (probably) going to be my next engine mod - brullen and 1.1/1.2 chip. Say, how much does a Brullen go for these days?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
That will depend on the weight of the wheel, however, even if the 18" wheel weighs the same as the 15, you'll still be taxed since the mass on the wheel is still on the larger wheel radius than the 15".
Well, look at it this way, When I run 18" BBS CH with 235/40/18 on my set up, my MPG goes down by about 15 to 20% compared to the stock 15" wheels. So, this would be a very rough estimate of how much you'll be taxed with the 18" on a dyno.

I would run on the stock wheels to normalize the dyno run with other tuners and compare the actually improvement from the stock performance. It won't be the best way to compare by any means, but at least there will be less bias on the run in comparison.

As for the N75-j valve, it's been great. It made Wett StageII program even smoother. I've used n75-j value for a year and I think I've hit soft limp once, but not quite sure since the boost die when I let off the gas a little. It could have been DV dumping the extra boost and created a lag for a split second before I re-engaged to WOT, and boost came right back. However, I've never experienced this at full WOT.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I wonder if I've got the stage 2 programing... I'll have to call Kelly.

Although I disagree with the swapping wheels out just for a dyno, a valid point was made about "stock" performance. Unless you take your car to the track, and have a set of drag radials invested, run what ya brung.

I didn't put my stock wheels on for my dyno because:
1) It wasn't a power contest
2) although it would be nice to compare to see what my mods have done on the "stock wheels" Its even nicer to see what I put down on a DAY TO DAY basis.
and the answer to that question is in my avatar. :lol:
Not to mention I know the answer to what my car puts out with 15" steelies.
"more". :wink:

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
pacent said:

when you upgraded the exhaust, did you replace the down pipe as well? If you did, how much did the whole setup run you and where did you get it.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got in on one of the big Brullen exhaust group buys. It was somewhere in the neighborhood of 700-750 bucks shipped, and that included the downpipe. The whole exhaust is 2.5 inches all the way through. I wanted to go bigger, but there is already a tight fit with the 2.5 inch downpipe already if you have a tip.

http://www.brullenexhaust.com/

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
pacent said:
I got in on one of the big Brullen exhaust group buys. It was somewhere in the neighborhood of 700-750 bucks shipped, and that included the downpipe. The whole exhaust is 2.5 inches all the way through. I wanted to go bigger, but there is already a tight fit with the 2.5 inch downpipe already if you have a tip.

http://www.brullenexhaust.com/
Are you happy with the setup? How's the sound? I do not want it to be much louder than stock.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can't be happier with the exhaust. I was not looking for anything loud either, and this exhaust is perfect. There is a nice deep growl on it, but if you keep the RPMs down, its not obtrusive at all. I don't think theres anyone on this board who has been unhappy with their Brullen. Its too bad you didn't get to Valpo a few minutes quicker, you could have heard the car in person.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I can't wait for the next GB. I'm getting the springs and shocks changed at the end of this month. The exhaust is going to be done in April. I'm not even that concerned with the shoes or other cosmetics. Just want to feel like I'm driving a sports car.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
natskiboy said:
do you have an upgraded exhaust?
AFAIK the 1.1 bar chip is only for those with upgraded exhaust. Nice to hear you are enjoying the added power
What are the implications of running a 1.1 bar chip with stock exhaust? I have the 1.1 bar chip too but thought that I should hold off on putting it in until I upgrade the exhaust.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Believe it or not, running a 1.1 bar chip with a stock exhaust will NOT be detrimental to your engine. (but I would have the free(er) flowing exhaust on the way just because they go hand in hand)
The car just likes extra-flow with the 1.1 chip.

The stock exhaust system (as you know) is pretty restrictive, and as long as you're PLANING on an exhaust upgrade in the near future, go with the 1.1!
(Thats per Kelley's recomendation)

I had my 1.1/2+ (whatever) Wett chip for 2 weeks before I got my Brullen installed.

And just today I gunned it in a parking garage, and had a HUGE smile on my face for awhile.
*wwweeeeeeeebrrrrrrrrwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" <~~~my car

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Spanky McGee said:
Believe it or not, running a 1.1 bar chip with a stock exhaust will NOT be detrimental to your engine. (but I would have the free(er) flowing exhaust on the way just because they go hand in hand)

The stock exhaust system (as you know) is pretty restrictive, and as long as you're PLANING on an exhaust upgrade in the near future, go with the 1.1!

I had my 1.1/2+ (whatever) Wett chip for 2 weeks before I got my Brullen installed.

And just today I gunned it in a parking garage, and had a HUGE smile on my face for awhile.

ring-ding-ding-bbbaaaaaaa-ding-ding-ding-popopop-baaaaaaaaaaaa-ding-ding-ding...

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Spanky McGee said:

I had asked Kelly about safe her chips are for our cars...she said that Wett has yet to blow a 1.8t Passat...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts