Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be in the market of getting a bigger turbo soon but i dont really know what to get my car is bone stock right now and i am new to the vw scene. So i was wondering what turbo i should get and what other things you would reccomend me doing when i do the upgrade as in front mount injector ect... and brands. this is also my DD so the work will be done by a machanic

·
Wants to be TheFlipperGray
7,322 Posts
This has so many variables to it, no one can simply say "buy this one!"

You need to figure out a few things first:

How much power are you looking to achieve?
How much are you looking to spend?
Is your car manual or tip?

These determine whether you get a K04 upgrade kit with a tune and injectors, or a GT2871r with manifold, downpipe/HFC, exhaust, tune, injectors, FMIC, TIP/intake, exhaust, oil/coolant lines, or anything even bigger 3076 all of the above + rods. Tranny matters too. You'd need to build valve body/torque converter on a tip to handle the power, and you'll need a performance clutch, pressure plate, and light weight flywheel with a manual.

There's more involved than "hey guys which turbo, and what else do I need?" - You should do some serious searching before you do this project.

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,103 Posts
These cars have computer controlled engines, so you kind of have to take a "systems approach" to upgrades. Nothing really does anything - especially a bigger turbo - unless the software in the ECU supports it. Start looking at the chip tuners (APR, GIAC, Unitronic, etc) and see what you like. Then, buy the parts supported by that tune.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Install all this and it'll go really fast lol

-Block and Head completely torn down and rebuilt by yours truly
-60-1 T3/T4 .48 A/R turbo
-Eurodyne Maestro
-B6 S4 MAF housing
-65mm VR6 throttle body
-Port matched and polished intake manifold
-630 injectors
-SCAT forged rods
-Osvat Stainless Steel exhaust valves
-Rosten High rate valve springs (good to 8500 RPM)
-Revision 'R' pushdown coilpack upgrade
-AEM tru-boost EBC
-Innovate LC-1 wideband controller
-Westach EGT sensor
-Autometer oil pressure gauge
-Devil's Own DVC-30 W/M injection
-Eurospec Adjustable fuel pressure regulator
-TT 710N diverter
-Turbosmart BOV
-3 in CAI intake w K&N filter
-3 in intake piping
-Mishimoto FMIC with 2.75 in piping
-Relocated DV
-Custom equal length tubular exhaust manifold
-Turbonetics Deltagate II external wastegate
-3 in downpipe
-3 in exhaust (both fabbed by yours truly)
-APR snub mount
-Catch can

·
Registered
481 Posts
^^^^damn!!! thats all i have to say... very nice, i just have one question, why do you need a tt710n dv and a turbosmart bov. what is the advantage of running a dv and a bov. or is it neccisary to comply w the ecu.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
In my case, a diverter valve wasn't cutting it in terms of being able to re-direct the air fast enough to prevent surge, but for some reason, the BOV wasn't venting enough at low boost/RPM, so I ended up going with a hybrid setup. That and I figured if I could re-route at least some of the air being dumped in front of the compressor instead of venting it all to atmosphere then it might help w re-spool to some degree.

·
Registered
481 Posts
nice...sounds like a good idea, ill have to file that away in my brain for the future when my ko4 blows and i go bigger. thanks for the reply mister t

·
Registered
4 Posts
Install all this and it'll go really fast lol

-Block and Head completely torn down and rebuilt by yours truly
-60-1 T3/T4 .48 A/R turbo
-Eurodyne Maestro
-B6 S4 MAF housing
-65mm VR6 throttle body
-Port matched and polished intake manifold
-630 injectors
-SCAT forged rods
-Osvat Stainless Steel exhaust valves
-Rosten High rate valve springs (good to 8500 RPM)
-Revision 'R' pushdown coilpack upgrade
-AEM tru-boost EBC
-Innovate LC-1 wideband controller
-Westach EGT sensor
-Autometer oil pressure gauge
-Devil's Own DVC-30 W/M injection
-Eurospec Adjustable fuel pressure regulator
-TT 710N diverter
-Turbosmart BOV
-3 in CAI intake w K&N filter
-3 in intake piping
-Mishimoto FMIC with 2.75 in piping
-Relocated DV
-Custom equal length tubular exhaust manifold
-Turbonetics Deltagate II external wastegate
-3 in downpipe
-3 in exhaust (both fabbed by yours truly)
-APR snub mount
-Catch can
Sounds very impressive! What was your cost “approximately “ when done? I’ve got a project car I’ve been working on, 2006 Passat 2.0T Fsi unfortunately its an automatic. I don’t plan on an extreme upgrade like yours, but do want to definitely get her a little more ! Any suggestions would be awesome for a Mechanically Inclined/NOT A MECHANIC!? Lol.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,007 Posts
I doubt you'll get a reply from them. They have not logged into this site in over 4 years.

·
Registered
26,983 Posts
You are looking at maybe $4K for the rebuild on the block with the upgraded rods, pistons, gaskets, seals, bolts and labor and that's likely with you pulling the motor yourself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts