Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all,

i searched the boards for upgrading the chip:

http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=76161&highlight=giac&sid=bad5b18dd75898f98074379001d18cf9

&

http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=74686&highlight=upsolute

but still have some questions.

I'm in montreal, where can I find stores who will upgrade my chip?
What are the ball park prices I should pay and which brand is considered the most cost effective?
Should I consider giac items sold on ebay or any other brand?
How much wear will it have on my engine?
What is a good combination for intake and exhaust? (brand names)

if you are gonna post something along the lines of "search for..." "keywords:..." "your lazy!" on my thread please don't reply.
I'm looking for solid answers and helpful members! :)

My Car: 98 passat 1.8t 130K all stock! oh yeah, it's silver :)

Thank you!

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
Depends on which chip you want. If you want Wett, Neuspeed or a couple of the others, you'll have to send your ECU to them and they'll reprogram it and send it back. If you want Upsolute or APR you can find a local rep or shop that can do it. For a 1998, I think you can get a Neuspeed for about $200, the Upsolute for about $350, the Wett for about $300 and the APR for $400 or more. All of the chips will give you good performance, the differences come in options and the way they do it. Some just reprogram your existing chip while others install a whole new chip. The new chip route is typically more expensive but it will allow you to simply plug the stock chip back in if you ever needed to - typically warranty issue. Since you don't have to worry about warranty, I'd look into a reprogrammed chip and save the $. I have the Upsolute and couldn't be happier - my car has 83k miles on it. These are prices in USD. As far as Ebay, you can look there but also look into the GB forums and Classified sections as there are deals to be had there that are sometimes (usually) better than Ebay and I feel more confident buying from this group than an unknown seller on Ebay. The chip shouldn't put any additional wear on your engine but you might consider upgrading your DV and vacuum lines at the same time. I have no first hand knowledge on intakes and exhaust so no help to you there.

Since your car is all stock and you're thinking chip, I would also consider a wheel/tire and suspension upgrade. Check out S_Klass group buy on the Neuspeed springs and his shock GB as well. I'd also look to the classifieds for a good wheel/tire combo. You're going to want to be able to control all of the new found horsepower.

Good luck with your mods and welcome to the club. Let me be the first to warn you that B5s mods are addictive and this group will help you spend your money faster than my wife at a shoe sale. :lol:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
00Psst said:
Depends on which chip you want. If you want Wett, Neuspeed or a couple of the others, you'll have to send your ECU to them and they'll reprogram it and send it back. If you want Upsolute or APR you can find a local rep or shop that can do it. For a 1998, I think you can get a Neuspeed for about $200, the Upsolute for about $350, the Wett for about $300 and the APR for $400 or more. All of the chips will give you good performance, the differences come in options and the way they do it. Some just reprogram your existing chip while others install a whole new chip. The new chip route is typically more expensive but it will allow you to simply plug the stock chip back in if you ever needed to - typically warranty issue. Since you don't have to worry about warranty, I'd look into a reprogrammed chip and save the $. I have the Upsolute and couldn't be happier - my car has 83k miles on it. These are prices in USD. As far as Ebay, you can look there but also look into the GB forums and Classified sections as there are deals to be had there that are sometimes (usually) better than Ebay and I feel more confident buying from this group than an unknown seller on Ebay. The chip shouldn't put any additional wear on your engine but you might consider upgrading your DV and vacuum lines at the same time. I have no first hand knowledge on intakes and exhaust so no help to you there.

Since your car is all stock and you're thinking chip, I would also consider a wheel/tire and suspension upgrade. Check out S_Klass group buy on the Neuspeed springs and his shock GB as well. I'd also look to the classifieds for a good wheel/tire combo. You're going to want to be able to control all of the new found horsepower.

Good luck with your mods and welcome to the club. Let me be the first to warn you that B5s mods are addictive and this group will help you spend your money faster than my wife at a shoe sale. :lol:

thank you very much for your input! :)

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
S_Klass said:
psst.. I'm considering a GB on Neuspeed chips as well - prompted by italian72.
geez, are you best buddies with Mr. Neuspeed? :p

anyway, i think neuspeed is the best bang for the buck for the 98/99's. 8)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts