Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of installing an upper strut brace when I do the suspension upgrade and I'm wondering which ones B5.5ers would recommend and how much I can expect to pay?

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,316 Posts
I've done the purems.com brace....bought through a GB, and love it. Install wasn't too hard, but I had a rough time getting the brace itself to seat correctly against the metal wall.

Good deal overall....price was lower than this (due to GB) but website lists it at about $150
Get it....:thumbup: for a great product.
http://www.purems.com/products/category.php?CA=303&PA=7

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,316 Posts
SivNiz said:
theres a guy here making some, try a search on the topic
You're talking about the C-bar and that's a LOWER tiebar. :whistle: He's referring to an upper that goes from strut tower to strut tower and bends in front of the battery.

·
Registered
996 Posts
swcrow17 said:
I've done the purems.com brace....bought through a GB, and love it. Install wasn't too hard, but I had a rough time getting the brace itself to seat correctly against the metal wall.

Good deal overall....price was lower than this (due to GB) but website lists it at about $150
I picked one up recently from Pure on sale for $99.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SivNiz said:
theres a guy here making some, try a search on the topic
I saw that thread but right now I'd prefer to buy from an established source, not that it should be taken that I have something against the person who is making the brace.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
swcrow17 said:

What was it about the brace that made so difficult to seat correctly? Was it that it wasn't contoured correctly?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I personally will be getting the pureMS bar for two reasons:

1) Similar to the s4 design - VAG has good engineers I don't care what anyone says
2) The bar carries a bending load so a rectangular cross section has an advantage over a circular cross section.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
ajbuilder said:
is there a VAG crossover alternative? A4, A6, S4?

The PureMS actually uses the braces from the A4/S4 bar, but uses a different middle section IIRC.

I think there was write up over on Audi World where the guy bought the S4 mounts and used the A6 bar (I guess it fits better ???), minor modifications were required like re-drilling holes but besides that it fit perfectly.

Side note, the Pure MS bar has a problem with older cars. The passenger side AC lines might be too low causing issues with mounting the brackets. It has been done before, but it takes a lot of work to make them fit under the lines.

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts

i have the VAG setup. i bought it second hand, so i can't vouch for the ease of redrilling and modifying. it is a little tight getting routed beneath the lines etc.
if you like, PM me and i'll post some pictures after breaktime.

here is a link to drewparts.com selling it. not sure how much cheaper you can find this setup.
http://www.drewparts.com/Product.aspx?ID=440964

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the imput, but I'm still not sure which is the easiest as in plug-and-play for my '02 GLS? Is it the PureMS or the 1be bar? Since I don't plan on doing track time with the car I don't need the ultimate performance brace and I'm not interested in drilling into the firewall to add a third mounting/stiffening point. Some mods that are intended to optimize track performance can really make a car a lousy daily driver. I have a buddy who has modded his GTI to the point that every time I ride in the car I get bruised kidneys and lose a couple of fillings in my teeth. But back to the point: with the Pure bar (actually either bar) installed does one have to leave off the battery cover or is there room for the bar to fit under it? Also, having an '02 there shouldn't be a problem with AC lines getting in the way, should there?
I was musing that with the upper strut brace and lower front brace both installed my Passat might have the tight and direct steering response of a BMW.:thumbup: I wonder if anyone has installed both?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts