Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Updated dyno results!!!

24K views 57 replies 23 participants last post by  Crispy222 
#1 ·
Now to the fun part...my baby finally dyno'd!!!

They did about 8 pulls. Mike Ngo (the owner of Eurowise, Inc.) ran the car to about 7300rpms watching the AEM TruBoost controller (making minute adjustments to get optimal boost pressures) and the AEM wideband A/F gauge (for any possible "Kaboom" readings). They ran their diagnostics off cylinder 2, and monitored A/F ratios and boost for the dyno readings. I had the vagcom monitoring timing pull (highest we saw was 4.5 in cylinder 2), A/F ratios, and intake temps. So we triple covered trying to ensure the safest dyno session (they all call me MR. OVERKILL). Anyway, we played around with the CoolingMist W/M injection pump duty cycles and initial/terminal spray amounts, in addition to adjusting the FPR for high boost readings. After all was said and done, with the FPR set at a tad lower that 4bar on 93oct swill, my baby's best pull put down a peak of 438.8 frontwheel hp and around 370ish ft/lbs torque at roughly 6300rpms on a 3076R with the .63 exhaust A/R, with a 1.04 CF!!! I know that this is a relatively low rpm reading for my build, but we weren't really tuning yet and my rev limiter will go from 7200 to 8000rpm via reflash (slight mix up when they wrote the program). This was holding between 28-29lbs of boost with no spikes. I don't have the chart with me now but as soon as I get it, I will load it up. This is on a custom Unitronics 630cc program. The guys explained to me that there is still room for improvement and tweaks, but they said that it was a pretty solid tune that responded well to the adjustments we were making. They also said that the real world number was 422hp at the front wheel without the Mustang Dyno correction factor (if you were driving on the road, accounting for the weight of the car, wind resistence, etc). So I'm extremely happy right now...and I can say that AZ and PW have been so much help with my build that I have to thank all of you for your support. I almost feel like we all built my girl.
I appreciate you all, and I will post the graphs later, and will post other dyno sessions as I look at ways to make her more efficient while maintaining the same (or increased[:d]) power levels. I'm wondering if the 830cc injectors will work with the Unitronic 630cc program?
Again, thanks again to all...
Juce

See less See more
#4 ·
Hi all!!!
Here is the dyno graph. Again, this was on the 630cc injectors and an incorrect rev limiter (now updated with the 8krpm limiter). The injectors were set at 4bar. We will dyno again and tune with the new 830cc Lucas injectors set at 3 bar next week (several others with the same tune are running the 830cc injectors with good results from the lowered fuel pressure-3 bar instead of 4 bar-and we'll see what difference it makes). I'll keep you posted!!!
As far as lag, there is some. But as I posted in one of the earlier threads, I have to be purposeful to really drive the car to its potential. Which means I dont get as much attention and I can "grandma" it, keep it under 4krpms and still get decent gas mileage. I was hesitant to pull the trigger on this build with this turbo, but I'm good with it. I can deal with the lag cause its only really there while short shifting and keeping it out of load.

#7 ·
Thanks. Going back this Friday for a tuning session on the dyno. Will update. In the meantime, we were logging on one of our long, straight express ways and totally wasted a new Stang GT(dropped into 3rd from around 65 and by the time I hit around 7800rpm, his car looked like a compact car in the rearview mirror) . When I let off and just coasted to let him catch up, he asked me if I had done an engine swap...I told him it was still German 4 banger. Said I was full of shit, so we'll pulled over and I showed him. Jaw bout hit the ground. He absolutely could not believe that a 4 cylinder just walked away from his brand new GT. Crazy.

#49 ·
EUROJUCE, diggin' the setup bro, and very nice numbers. :)

Not really...

A built turbocharged 3 liter will still make more power than a similarly built 2 liter... ;) I know of a particular 3 liter that will surpass 400 wheel horsepower at ~20 PSI...

Then again, pressure doesn't mean much, it's all about your intake CFMs.

#10 ·
That's a good one "Technology, the only replacement for displacement". Never really thought of it that way. The shop says I baby her for the type of build I have going on. In fact, I drove up to an office site in Winston Salem this morning and set the cruise at 70 and didn't go over that once (highest boost I saw was 10.2lbs cause I short shifted, even for the on ramps). Funny...now that I know what she's capable of, when people pull up in their modded cars, or Stangs and Camaro's, I'm not getting that "hmmm, let's see what she can do against an [X]" feeling anymore, and I just give them a thumbs up and let them roll on. Craziest thing, right? I'm now more excited about this coming Friday's dyno session. I did bump up the timing 3 degrees (with W/M on) to account for some of the lag on those 8.5:1 ratio pistons, and have been logging. At 24lbs, most timing pull was 4.5lbs on cylinder two, and 6 on same cylinder after doing like 5 to 6 pulls back to back all the way to red line. What I'm planning on doing is dropping a 14lbs spring in (currently a 10.3lbs spring) the wastegate and using that as a base line for the new setup (830cc's vs 630cc's) and see what power it makes. This will be my daily city driving setting (boost controller off, I should see around 16-17lbs peek with this spring). Then we'll use the boost controller to set the low setting to around 24lbs of boost (for hwy and scratch that itch setting), and high setting will be safest highest hp with the new 830cc's (just for dyno days and such). And with the 14lbs spring, the boost controller won't have to compensate for the lower spring pressure, which should smooth out the power curve even more up top (and maybe even build boost a tad sooner). So I'll def post up!!!
Much luv
Juce

#12 ·
Yeah, it seriously warps time @ 29lbs of boost on the hwy! But I'm gonna reserve the 29-30whatever boost levels for the dyno, and use 24lbs for hwy duty (which is stupid fast too). City driving, I'm just gonna let the wg regulate the 14lbs spring.

#14 ·
Like a rocket if you launch at 5500rpm, slip the clutch to minimize wheel spin. 2010 Stang GT...easily checked off. 2010 Camaro SS...checked off yesterday afternoon on the way home from Winston. He tried twice. 1st time I knew he was hitting it, so I had already dropped to 3rd gear and walk away nicely. The second time, he hit it on the sneak tip, so it took me a couple of seconds to shift down, build boost, but I walked him down and my boost gauge had peaked at 30.7lbs of boost when I was letting off and my rear left tire was well past his headlights. His face was totally twisted, but he gave me a thumbs up anyway!!!

#16 ·
Hey Hey all!!!!
How do you load a dyno graph from an email attachment? I got my latests graphs with the 830cc's. The previous graph that already loaded was of course with 630cc injectors @ 4 bar, w/m injectors and 0* timing adjustment. I want to load the new graphs with the 830cc's at 2.72bar, w/m and 3* timing advance on 93octane in low setting (18lbs boost=333whp/300wtq), medium setting (24lbs boost=388whp/339wtq) and highest setting was at 0* timing advance (31.7lbs boost=437whp/401wtq repeated twice with one flyer at 444whp). This way, you guru's could look at it and make suggestions about how you think she responded to the 830cc's (remember, I didn't upgrade yet to the 830cc file).

#19 ·
Here are the new graphs with the 830cc's at 2.72bar, w/m and 3* timing advance on 93octane in low setting (18lbs boost=333whp/300wtq)

Medium setting (24lbs boost=388whp/339wtq) with 3* timing advance

And the highest setting was at 0* timing advance bc @ 29lbs, I was seeing too much timing pull for my taste, so I dropped the timing back (31.7lbs boost=437whp/401wtq repeated twice with one flyer at 444whp).

#23 · (Edited)
Updated dyno results

A bigger bo will definetly teach you how to drive!!! I don't have limited slip (Quaife wants like 1700 for our cars), so I had to learn how to find the sweet spot of slipping the clutch enough to lay it down without excessive tire spin, or bog off the line. I have a shift light to aid with that (launch at 5200rpm right now) and shift at 7500rpm to keep the bo spooled up enough to now roast the tires and spin through gear shifts. It is difficult, but I'm getting it. The cool thing about it though, is that since the hit is later with the larger bo, I can totally granny it, stay out of boost and draw very little attention if I want to. Most people who ride with me think it just has a loud muffler on it cause I stay out of boost unless they really want to feel it working!!! My girlfriend drives it sometimes, and she has yet to go more than half throttle and she short shifts, until she saw the numbers, she didn't know what she was driving. She's now afraid of it, and shifts around 3krpms, and she says it feels like her accord. But when we drive and I work it, she's totally amazed that its the same car. Now she wants a turbo conversion on her accord!!! But don't be afraid of a bigger bo. People talk about the lag and all, but I'll be honest with you...I like this setup more than with my old 28R. That thing has slightly more lag than the K03, but it hit hard around 2300-2500rpms, and lots of times when I wasn't paying attention to how far my foot was in it, I got waaaaaayyyyyyyy too much attention cause of the fast torque spikes (that, by the way, is what snaps people's rods on the 28 series turbo's).

#25 ·
Well in all honesty people have taken the 1.8T quite a bit higher. And there have been huge power numbers from other 4 cyl engines. There is a guy on the Audi forums that has a 600+ hp 1.8T A4. Not nearly as reliable I'd say 400HP is about the edge of the power spectrum for keeping anything close to reliable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.