Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
So on a launch like that you dont completely spin the tires and go nowhere? I keep considering eventually getting a medium ~300hp turbo but only dismiss the though because I sense I might not get anywhere unless im above the speed limit

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Updated dyno results

A bigger bo will definetly teach you how to drive!!! I don't have limited slip (Quaife wants like 1700 for our cars), so I had to learn how to find the sweet spot of slipping the clutch enough to lay it down without excessive tire spin, or bog off the line. I have a shift light to aid with that (launch at 5200rpm right now) and shift at 7500rpm to keep the bo spooled up enough to now roast the tires and spin through gear shifts. It is difficult, but I'm getting it. The cool thing about it though, is that since the hit is later with the larger bo, I can totally granny it, stay out of boost and draw very little attention if I want to. Most people who ride with me think it just has a loud muffler on it cause I stay out of boost unless they really want to feel it working!!! My girlfriend drives it sometimes, and she has yet to go more than half throttle and she short shifts, until she saw the numbers, she didn't know what she was driving. She's now afraid of it, and shifts around 3krpms, and she says it feels like her accord. But when we drive and I work it, she's totally amazed that its the same car. Now she wants a turbo conversion on her accord!!! But don't be afraid of a bigger bo. People talk about the lag and all, but I'll be honest with you...I like this setup more than with my old 28R. That thing has slightly more lag than the K03, but it hit hard around 2300-2500rpms, and lots of times when I wasn't paying attention to how far my foot was in it, I got waaaaaayyyyyyyy too much attention cause of the fast torque spikes (that, by the way, is what snaps people's rods on the 28 series turbo's).

·
Banned
742 Posts
Well in all honesty people have taken the 1.8T quite a bit higher. And there have been huge power numbers from other 4 cyl engines. There is a guy on the Audi forums that has a 600+ hp 1.8T A4. Not nearly as reliable I'd say 400HP is about the edge of the power spectrum for keeping anything close to reliable.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Well in all honesty people have taken the 1.8T quite a bit higher. And there have been huge power numbers from other 4 cyl engines. There is a guy on the Audi forums that has a 600+ hp 1.8T A4. Not nearly as reliable I'd say 400HP is about the edge of the power spectrum for keeping anything close to reliable.
Who cares about dude in audi... 440+ hp out of a 1.8t is wicked awesome. Great job!

·
Banned
742 Posts
I agree 440 is a great number, someone was just saying that's a ton of power out of a 4cyl, was just stating that others have made a lot more power on 4cyl engines. I'd be extremely happy with 440 though :)

·
Registered
373 Posts
holy isht ... i need to get on your level!!!! lol

great work (bow down)

i have hard enough time not spinning on take off ... i get to excited lol... so i went the cheat route and just went and bought slicks lol.

and if i read everything correctly are you running this monster on stock internals?!?!? or did you just mention the helpful go fast parts up above and left out the other fun stuff?

again VERY IMPRESSIVE SIR!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
I'd have to enjoy living on pins and needles if this was a stock motor!!! I only referenced the torque spikes that the 28 series turbos are known for. But here is a list of my mods....

ENGINE/MECHANICAL:

GT3076R .63ar
TIAL 38mm external wastegate
92.8mm stroker AEG crank
IE forged 4340 H Beam connecting rods
82.5mm bore, 8.5:1 custom JE pistons (all balanced to 275g)
Overbore headgasket
SUPERTECH high lift valve spring set with Ti retainers
Inconel exhaust valves (standard measurement)
Nitride intake valves (+1mm overbore measurement)
CALICO treated bearings (mains and rods)
AWM head/AWP block 3 angle valve job, ported, polished and match ported intake and exhaust
034MOTORSPORT phenolic spacer kit for intake manifold
034MOTORSPORT catch can
GODSPEED 31x12x3 front mount intercooler with 2.75” custom welded piping by Doug @ Eurowise
Front mount oil cooler with MOCAL plate adapter
Front mount power steering cooler
3” ATP Test pipe with 3” MAGNAFLOW highflow cat
3" custom exhaust built by AUTOXTREM with BORLA cCenter resonator and rear muffler
COOLING MIST water/meth injection with dual 380cc nozzles, boost managed by CMGS 52mm controller
UNITRONIC custom 630cc BT file with CAT 3658 cams (268 / 262 Degrees @ .1mm, 9.25 / 9.95mm Lift )
AEM piggyback ecm controller (soon to be installed)
Deleted evap and emissions
CAT cams 3658 grind
CAT adjustable cam gear sprocket
FORGE 004 atmospheric blow off valve
SOUTHBEND stage 4 clutch with 20lb single mass billet flywheel
JHM solid short shifter kit with DELRIN metal bushings
WALBRO 255lph high flow fuel pump
Lucas 830cc injectors with ECS TUNING adjustable fuel pressure regulator
Crank girdle
Powder Coated head and intake manifold
Semi shaved/wire tucked engine bay

SUSPENSION, BRAKES, WHEELS:
EIBACH sport progressive springs (1.5” drop front, 1.25” drop rear)
Stock front stabilizer bar, AUTOTECH 28mm rear stabilizer bar
RAXLES HD axles
ECS TUNING 332mm front Big Brake system with stainless steel brake lines (front and rear)
PBR ceramic brake pads
Staggered 18” ENKEI OR52 wheels
Falken Azenis 615 (225/40/18 front, 235/40/18 rear)

EXTERIOR:
Bodywork…9 years of wear and tear!!! Not yet under construction
6000K HID low beams, 3000K HID high beams
Shark Fin antenna
30% Platinum window tint
Debaged grill
OEM roof rack with “Pimp Daddy Gold” bicycle attachments

INTERIOR:

AEM Tru Boost electronic boost controller
AEM wideband air/fuel ratio gauge (custom made vent gauge pod)
GREDDY turbo timer custom mounted by Mark @ CHL Motorsports
NEW SOUTH oil Pressure and oil temp gauges
COOLING MIST CMGS digital wWater/meth injection controller
MK4 3 spoke GLI steering wheel
034MOTORSPORT shift knob
Custom leather shift boot
MOMO pedal set with ECS TUNING dead pedal
NEW BEETLE sunglass holder
Simulated woodgrain comfort accents
VALENTINE 1 radar detector (hard wired) with remote console
Custom trunk mounted SNOW PERFORMANCE 2.5 gallon water/methanol reservoir

SOUNDS:
MOONSOON 8 speaker factory amplified system integrated with Kenwood KDC-M4032 head unit
ROCKFORD FOSGATE 150 amplifier (powering subwoofer only)
ROCKFORD FOSGATE 10” HE PUNCH subwoofer in custom enclosure by Chad @ Eurowise/CIN Motorsports

·
Registered
863 Posts
Who cares about dude in audi... 440+ hp out of a 1.8t is wicked awesome. Great job!
Not to be a dick but, the A4 has the same engine, and further more the Quattro makes it easier to put it down. We should all learn from each other. I know some Audi owners have to pull their noses out of the air and realize that the Passat can be as much as a power house as the A4 can be. All the same nice numbers. One more thing the A4 is heavier and sucks up more hp through the awd, so you need more hp to do the same amount of work.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Very good numbers. I dont see any cams on your build, does that mean your still running stock cams?

As for 1.8t goes, it isn't hard to reach 800chp on these motors. There are plenty VW 1.8t FWD owners making 700whp.

Hdale85 - who on AZ is making 600+hp? I know Clint is in the low to mid 400whp now and Jakes dad's B6 put down 465whp before I gave it back to him. Jax is making good power now and Adam(TightTT) is just below 500whp with a HTA35r which is more turbo then I run to make 650whp. I am still waiting for another A4 to hit the 600awhp mark.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Wow...I don't know how I left off the cams. I'm running the 3658 CAT CAM setup. Yeah, you guys on AZ are insane with the builds and the numbers you put down on daily drivers.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I figured you would have a set of CAT's seeing that your peak hp is so high in the rpms. The 58's just tend to have low vacuum at idle making them not the perfect cam for a street car. 51/53 tend to be better for that or a set of Schrick 252/260's which are just slightly less mild then the 58's. I have schricks in my car since I cant figure out what cams to go with, way too many people having problems with the CAT's lately.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I went with the 58's cause the were supposed to have the intake profile of the 52's and the exhaust profile of the 53's, or something like that. So many people spoke so highly of them that I bit. What kind of issues are people having? I'd like to know what to look for in case i come across any weird shannegans......

·
Registered
668 Posts
Yes they are a combo of 2 sets that CAT offers, the intake from the 52 and the exhaust cam from the 51. Just a bit agressive for a street car and can cause low vacuum at idle or when trying to slow the car down while at idle.

BobQ did a test of all the cat cams on a engine dyno, 58/52 only made more power in the very high rpms when making very big hp numbers. The more mild CAT cams made more power down low and in the midrange. If the cams are too big you make less power thru the whole power band if your not making enough power up high to take advantage of them.

I have seen plenty of people that have had the timing chain gear wheel bolts back out, even after making sure they were tight and using locktite. One even had it happen twice before removing the cams completely. A while back they also had a issue with the Keyway. Just some reasons I didn't sell off my Schricks and stick a set of CAT cams in, just hard for me to risk a fully built motor/head on a $600 part.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Yes they are a combo of 2 sets that CAT offers, the intake from the 52 and the exhaust cam from the 51. Just a bit agressive for a street car and can cause low vacuum at idle or when trying to slow the car down while at idle.

BobQ did a test of all the cat cams on a engine dyno, 58/52 only made more power in the very high rpms when making very big hp numbers. The more mild CAT cams made more power down low and in the midrange. If the cams are too big you make less power thru the whole power band if your not making enough power up high to take advantage of them.

I have seen plenty of people that have had the timing chain gear wheel bolts back out, even after making sure they were tight and using locktite. One even had it happen twice before removing the cams completely. A while back they also had a issue with the Keyway. Just some reasons I didn't sell off my Schricks and stick a set of CAT cams in, just hard for me to risk a fully built motor/head on a $600 part.
mike is that what happened to 034 at time attack?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Yeah, I had heard of the keyway issue and some of the other cam bolt issues, so had Bob Q ensure that mine were the updated ones. I bit on the 58's cause I really wanted a decent street car w track/strip potential. They aren't too bad on the street. My vaccuum reads low, but I haven't had any braking issues (thank goodness).

·
Registered
668 Posts
Yeah and your not the only one, but to really take advantage of those cams you will need to push it to 8k rpm and put on a big port head. With those 2 things and nearly the exact same setup you have and Uni tuning we were able to make 425awhp on 93 octane only pushing 25-26psi, that is right around 480whp.

You are lucky. I know 2 guys that just bought them in the last 6 months and they failed.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Cool. I'll check the vid when I get to a desktop. My Crackberry won't play it! The shop is working on letting my Vortex can pul from the block by itself, and the letting another pull from the vc from the port at the back of the cover, and the from another location that they added another bung. Geez 2 guys had failed CAT cams? What happened and what damage did they sustain?

21 - 40 of 58 Posts