Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Group,

I posted a message regarding the clutch in my 2000MY Passat 1.8t, last week explaining my issues and more directly it already starting to slip with only 10k miles on the new one.

I am happy to inform everyone that it is now resolved..

How?

My mechanic friend at Carousel Audi in Minneapolis area was starting the process of taking out the Tranny all to discover a high amount of coolant on the Belly pan (top side). Apparently a coolant fitting on the back of the head has developed a large enough leak for the G12 (VW Pink coolant) to leak into the clutch housing and cause my Hellish slip.

He tells me that this is QUITE common for ATW and older 1.8t engines because of some sort of seal becoming hard and shrinking. The entire hose fitting ( I believe a total of 3 hoses feed from this) costs only $10 at your Audi/ VW dealership, and may save you from replacing your clutch if it starts to leak. I can find and post the Part number later if people wish.

so..

Now I am the proud owner of a new Hose fitting, and a New SACHS clutch kit (covered under the SACHS 1 year warranty) and can again use my 1.8t to it's fullest..

I hope this post saves someone some Headache and money in the future..

Best regards,

Matt Wellumson
Chanhassen MN

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Dam man,

I'm having some leaking issues with that bracket on the back, I've bought a new one already and plan to replace is ASAP, I didn't think it would cause and problems leaking down the casing, but i guess I was wrong :nervous:

Part number for the bracket on a '98 AEB is: 058-121-132 "FLANGE" and it came with the new O-ring already in place so there's no need to purchase another :thumbup:

** it was $10.15 CAD, so like 6 bucks USD.. The parts guy said that later engine ones were somewhat more expensive for some reason :wink:

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
Matt - I had the same coolant flange failure two years ago. I was dumping coolant out of the head through the bad oring. I didn't even need to get the fitting, just a couple of orings. Hard work to fix it because of limited space, but I got it done.

Note - on some ATWs (mine!) it is virtually impossible to replace the flange and the part costs about $50. However, you don't need to under most circumstances. The new orings work fine.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IT looked like an easy fix..

the hardest part was doing the clutch again :sad: .

Anyway, Now I am getting the famed "Emissions Workshop" warning, so time to re-check my vac lines :roll:

·
Registered
2 Posts
just had the local dealer take a look at my slippage problem. the clutch slips in all gears at quick acceleration. if the car is accelerated slowly there is no slip. what do you think? the dealer of course wants to replace the entire clutch system. i'm a little hesitant to spend the money. i have a 99 1.8t wagon with 66,000 miles.

crosley

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are the first owner, throw the 10/100 Warranty at them..

If not..

See if it has the coolent leak in back by the firewall.. If it does, have them replace that, and see if the slipping goes away..

·
Registered
2 Posts
i am the original owner of the car. is the leak visible? pretend i'm an idiot and walk me through the check please. thanks for your help. i'm really thinking its my problem. the car shifts without any noise... runs like a bat out of h--- through the first couple of gears.

thanks,
crosley

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.