Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thats right, it happened AGAIN.

Back the the Thursday before the South Florida GTG in Ft Lauderdal, my Raxles axle busted on the outer joint. Just totally blew. Got it fixed the next day and a local shop rebuilt the axle for $42.40.

Now, today I got under the car to check some stuff, and I found that a CV boot busted, AGAIN. The grease was spewed all inside on the side of the transmission, trans housing, and side of the engine block. WTF is going on here? Raxles.. Im coming after you now suckas. Here I am, I bought a rebuilt axle, supposed to be the same spec adn quality of the OE VW axle and joints, or better. Paid for it on 05/13/03 and paid 199.80, and less then a year later, I have two failures. Two weeks ago, the outer blew, and this week, the inner boot busted. Whats going on with this shit?

So, tomorrow, Raxles is getting a phone call from me because Im deff not paying to have this fixed, AGAIN. :mad: :mad:

So, sorry to rant but just an FYI to all.

Steve

EDIT - here is the original thread with the 1st failure. :mad:

Steve,
I have two directions going.
1. Have ordered some Touring car race series outer joints from Europe(should
be here soon).
2. Working on a HD axle set-up that would require the use of the V6
hubs(longer time frame)
:)
marty

UPDATE - 04/15/04

Got the axle from Marty on Tuesday afternoon from UPS. A buddy of mine, Justin (mad props bro), helped me install the new axle tonight. What can I say? This thing is massive compared to the stock OE replacement axle. The boot on the inner joint was torn in half, spewing grease all on the inner side of the tranny box. What a mess. So, the new axles is totally nice. See the pics below. The beefier axle weights roughly 15lbs, and I forgot to get a weight of the OE one, which I will get in the AM.

New EuroSpec on left, OE on right.

Made specially for me. :D

New inner end with all new hardware

Closeup of new hardware with VW/Audi logos.

Joint differences

The inner busted boot torn halfway around.

Closeup of inner joints, EuroSpec on left, OE on right. Look at that huge thing.

Thanks again to Marty at Raxles for hooking me up. I will keep you all posted on how stuff turns out with these axles.

www.raxles.com
Talk to Marty and tell him Steve from ClubB5 sent ya over to him. Mention the Heavy Duty axles and he will help ya out.

Steve

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
what a CROCK!!! i would be calling for sure. sorry to hear this

·
Registered
402 Posts
Steve, I think it is the squirrells getting revenge!!!

Of course you know they are going to blame it on the install, but I hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
What did I tell you about burnouts w/ the wheel cranked all the way to one side? :cry: :lol:

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Steve,
I dont know if you saw what I had posted the last time this happened but to refresh your memory.....
A buddy of mine, who goes as kimbote here, had the exact same problem. Two Raxle axles in two months! He went to an OEM after the second time and its been fine. This makes me think of the quality of these axles. If you would like, or if it would help, I can ask him to get in contact with you via pm. He is not on here very often but I think this problem needs to be addressed. Not just for yall, but for anyone else that may buy one of these axles.

Brian

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reminder there Brian. I am going to see what I can do by calling Raxles today when I get home from work. Its frustrating because Ive already dumped more money on this then I would like. Im just going to keep driving on it until I have some extra flow to get it replaced, and buying a OE axle is just not what I really want to do. Let alone, its too expensive when you buy a OE "quality" rebuild axle, etc, etc, etc... ARG.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I understand the headache Steve. Good luck with the phonecall to Raxles. Your saying that the OE axle is not what you want but what are you looking for? What I mean is, even if Raxle says they will replace it, would you want another Raxle on there? There quality is definitly one to be questioned.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Dang, Steve...sorry to hear about this. So I take it you're no longer endorsing Raxles?? :poke: I see that they give a lifetime warranty, but that's not much consolation if you're having to replace them at every other oil change! :crazy:

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE

I just got off the phone with Mardi at Raxles. I spoke to him for about 10 minutes or so and I told him of the modifications done to the car. He asked how low the car was, and he went on to say that on our specific cars, that lowering them too much can put too much strain on the cv joints, and cause extream wear (WE ALL know this already for us lowered folk). I was honest with him, and told him that I have already had the joint rebuild on the outter side since I was out of town and the joint had to be rebuilt to get be on the road. He said that he would still warranty the whole axle, even though its previously been rebuild and reground. He did state that with the joints being reground, that there is more play in the joint then in a full replacement joint since the axle nubs have been reground with larger balls/bearings.

Once that was done, he did comment that they have contemplated making custom/upgraded axles for us as there is quite a demand for higher quality axles that can hold up better to the suspension mods that we all have. So, with that said, I emailed him the specs on the car, and he is going to need to come up with an idea of making the joint stronger to hold up to the suspension. I will keep you all updated.

Long story short, Im getting a warranty axle, all free. Goes to show you that there are still companies out there that will stand behind their product, and provide great customer service. And, being honest doesnt hurt either. :lol:

Steve

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
Cool. This makes me feel better. I have talked to Marty personally on several occasions, and he has always seemed like a stand-up guy. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Cooler heads prevail! Glad to hear of your success, especially since Raxles' shop is only a mile or two further from my house than my dealer! (and since my drivetrain warranty has expired) :thumbup:

·
Registered
26,811 Posts
You get more stress from full lock turns than you do from lowering. Lowering only
changes the joint angle a small amount.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts