Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UPDATE - "Immobil. Activated" potential solution found

Several of the pins on my ECU leading to the soldered socket has detached itself from the ECU. I tried to resolder the socket but my soldering skills are quite crappy.

1. Where can I get an OEM ECU? I'm expecting to pay $1000 which is fine given the circumstances. I have a 2001.5 B5: 4B0906018CL Bosch ECU. Any help is appreciated please!

2. My ECU was socketed by PES. Do you think they will be willing to resocket this? Seeing that they did do this in the beginning although I did butcher it up even more now with my own attempt to re-solder it. Regardless, I'll probably give them a call...

Story:
It's raining, 9PM at night and I was driving on a 50mph 3 lane highway in the left lane and the car loses ALL power, flashes STOP in big red letters. I have no power steering, no gas. Great... I somehow managed to get to the right side shoulder and flash my emergency blinkers. Car does not respond. I decide, what the heck- so I shut it off and restart. Car restarts fine, then starts blinking the ECU engine light like crazy. I quickly step on the gas and managed to pull right into a Wendy's before the car does a STOP routine. I was halfway through the turn when I lost power steering... AGAIN. NOT fun trying to coax a 3200lb car into a turn by pure strength. I shut off and this time I ingeniously decide to try again and this time I drive for 1 minute and find myself in the middle of an intersection DEAD in the water. :nervous: I managed to stay cool admidst the honking and throw the car into neutral and push it backwards so that it was out of the intersection. At this time, car wouldn't even restart anymore. Cop came, helped me push it to a safer parking spot at a small store where it is now waiting for a tow truck... :sad: In the meantime, I checked all the hoses, leakages (although car was too low and it was too dark and rainy to really see anything meaningful). I pulled my ECU out and checked the pins and wallah, I see that there are some loose pins connecting the socket to the board. GRRR. :mad: So in the time I was waiting for the tow truck, I tried to resolder them on, only making it quite a bit worse with my crappy radio shack soldering iron, which brings me to this defeated state.

Sigh, the joys of modding your car. Thanks for reading my vents. :mad: :mad: :oops:

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
well, if it's a poor soldering job, get them to fix it for ya.

oh, and do you normally carry a soldering kit in your car?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I have a spare ECU from 2001.5 tip 1.8t. It has a stock program on a Wett Socket. Let me know if you still need it.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
I had a problem similar to what you are describing in my '99 GLS with APR chip. I sent it in to APR for warranty transfer and for them to have a look at it. After they cleaned up the soldering job those problems went away. Sometimes there are soldering problems that won't be visible by the naked eye.

If PES has a warranty, now might be a good time to take advantage of it. See if it's something that they can fix before you go through the trouble of replacing the entire ECU.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Shoddy work should be covered by the manufacturer/tuner you purchased the socketed chip/installation from. You shouldn't have to pay a dime, and I wouldn't damnit, if I were you.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, thanks to drive, I picked up a spare ECU for $200. :thumbup:

NOW, problem is that when I plugged it in and didn't start the car because I figured something like this would happen- the Immobil. Activated message came up.

Great... so now, short of going to a dealer, what can I do? Anyone? Would someone with a vagcom be able to help me?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm. After searching/reading I need access to get an SKC number from a dealer. Of course, the caveat is that since this is an used ECU, I would first need to get my old ECU working to get the old ECU's ID number in order to program the new... :mad: Am I right about this? I'm referring to this page -
http://ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/Immo3-ecu-swapping.html

Anyone with the know-how care to comment?

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
also, FWIW, you're gonna need the VIN and Immobilizer ID of the car the spare ECU came out of. That seems to be the root of my problem...

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jimbob said:
also, FWIW, you're gonna need the VIN and Immobilizer ID of the car the spare ECU came out of. That seems to be the root of my problem...
Hmmm... well, I have the VIN number from where the ECU came from. What is the immobilizer ID? Is that what is called the SKC? Great... this sounds more and more like a big hassle. How is it that some people have one ECU that's chipped and socketted and one ECU that's completely stock. They can't all have a '99 and older passat do they?

If I bring the new ECU to a dealer, is there a way to harvest the data that I need of it or do I definetly need to know the numbers and IDs beforehand?

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
bump, hopefully somebody has more info.

if you plug the cluster into the car and access channel 17 instruments the vin#
and the immobilizer # will be in the extra fields. However, it's my understanding that it will read the Vin and immb Numbers from the car, not the ECU itself. So, in my case, i hook up the 2nd ECU and read the code, it give me my cars VIN, which I can't use to unlock the ECU to reset the immobilizer code. Basically I'm screwed.

anybody sucessfully swapping the ECU's on later model B5.5's? :suspicio:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, here's an update: I'm sending my existing ECU to evolution motorsports to get it resoldered etc. By far, they quoted me a reasonable price and a very quick turn around time compared to all the other vendors. PES, of course never answered yet, nor are they picking up the phone. :mad: :suspicio:

jimbob : I talked to AWE and they have to get back to me but they told me they had cloned ECU's for previous customers. This might be a viable solution since they take your old ECU's data and replicate it into the new ECU. It may be easier than trying to wring a dealership's hand to get the SKC numbers. If what you are saying is true, then there is no way to get the immbolizer # if the car you got the new ECU from is no longer there! So perhaps, AWE's method [if I verify they can do it] works then that would be AWEsome. :wink:

I'll keep you updated...

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
whoa, now that's an idea, yes please let me know if it works out. the pessimist in me says they'll only be able to clone B5, and not B5.5's. :roll: :evil: :mad: :lol:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, that would suck.

Btw, Dubwerks also called back and they are able to do it for B5.5s. Only caveat: you got to drive to wazooland Illinois. :p :lol: They work closely with Tim's libertysville dealership I'm guessing since they said they can get the SKC numbers and reprogram it via vagcom. Since I'm in NJ and you're in CA, we can meet halfway in IL. hahaha.

But AWE does know I have a B5.5 so I'm waiting to hear from them...

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I got in contact with AWE and basically they said they could clone the chips. They take the old ECU, desolder the immobilizer chip and download the data. They resolder it back into the old ECU. For the new ECU, they desolder the immob chip and then upload the data from the old ECU's immobolizer chip to it, overwriting it. Resoldering it, they claim the new ECU would act exactly as the old ECU. Sounds promising especially when they said they did this for several B5.5s with immobilzer version 3. I'm def going to be making an appointment to go down there and getting this done so I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
186 Posts
If you are computer savy you could order all the parts you need from mouser and flash the chips your self. Universal flash programmers run between 2-8 hundred. I don't know what type chips b5.5 use so I don't know. If you have someone to do the soldering it should be a simple operation.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I probably could do it myself as I have lots of experience doing this but AWE only wants $75 for the entire process. So for me to pick up the flash programmers, invest the 5 hours to engineer the process, and also risk the possible damage I may incur would make it silly, IMO. The biggest reason is really that I'm lazy these days. :p

·
Registered
487 Posts
As an electronics and software engineer since 1983 I'd let someone else do this, every time you touch a board you risk damaging it and I'd as soon that was on someone else's dime. Reworking boards is a little hit and miss too, removing and replacing parts you run a small but significant risk of heat damaging the component or damaging a track on the board. But that's why I got out of hardware, software is either right or wrong and the pins don't fall off! $75 is a steal for this work from my perspective.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
10 Participants
not_too_shabby
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing