Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, need some diagnostic help please

Was on the interstate from Florida yesterday. I had 1/4 tank of gas remaining, not even in the red yet. Was starting to roll down a slight hill, down shifted to 4th, and moved to far right lane (stupid peeps hogging the left lane going slow). Power is fine, go to shift to 5th, and the car starts to stumble. I put it in nuetral, and coast up the off ramp to a gas station, and fill up the tank, and put in a can of fuel cleaner.

Once the stuff is al in the tank, I try to crank the car over. Car doesnt crank. So, I try the "Sharky" trick by holding the gas pedal down and starting the car. Car then starts, but only stays running by holding the pedal down. I let the car continue to run, and the RPM's fluquate between 3000 and 4000 rpms. Car is running smooth (no CEL's or anything). At this point, I turn the car off because it sounds horrible.

So, what can I check to get the car running smooth again? Im thinking since it may be fuel related, to pick up a new fuel filter, and start from there. Anything else?

UPDATE

I have talked to a few people and it seems like it could still be a few things, and they are listed below:
Ignition control module - could be, but no CEL's and all firing is in order.
Dead battery/alternator - not possible, car runs fine, no battery light.
Fuel filter - has been weeded out since I replaced it this AM.
Fouled plugs - still on the todo list. They are pretty dirty, but not in horrible shape.
Fuel Delivery - car is getting fuel and injectors clean.
MAFS - Could this go bad all of a sudden? Could be bad, but not sure.
Battery - removed cable and let sit for 6 minutes unplugged.
Battery replugged and let sit to adapt TB.

More information
1998 AEB 1.8T 5speed manual
Chipped by APR on Saturday 2.28.04
Evo Intake with HKS BOV
102,xxx miles, 4 months on new head and seals
Car has a jumpy idle between 950-850
Vacuum pressure is between 10-12 mm/Hg
Car spits light black smoke from exhaust
Air/Fuel gauge reads a steady full green on the face, no fluctuation
Original turbo, MAFS

UPDATE 3/4/04

I found out the issue. Come to find out, the lower intercooler hose clamp was loose. I removed it, cleaned off all the oil, and resealed. The APR chip works great and I am boosting at 17psi now. Thanks to all.

TIA,
Steve

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kathy. I just got back from the auto shop. Picked up a new filter and some thread lock. Ill swap that in this afternoon, and will check the plugs again and clean them up. Ill order a new set of plugs later today.

Bump for anyone else's help

Steve

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Schlepper, what was your diagnoses for the fuel pump to go out? Anything that I can look at while I have things partially apart?

Also, I just changed the filter, and the same thing happened. I know that wasnt the case because I undid the clamps and remove the hoses and fuel was pouring out the front of the filter, so the engine was getting fuel. It has to be something else.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Do you have access to a VAG-COM? It would help to know what codes you are getting.

When running does it feel like it is firing on all cylinders, or is it lumpy?

·
Registered
22 Posts
This may sound stupid, but if the vehicle seems to run fine while you are giving it gas, and dies when you left off, it's probably a dead battery or needs new alternator. Again, I know this is a stupid suggestion, but I have had it happen on my pontiac twice.

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
battery and alternator are fine. Battery holds a charge, and the alternator is putting out power.

The car sounds likes its firing on all cylinders, but no way to check totally. Again, there is a steady CEL, not blinky like you would get with misfires. And yes, its lumpy. Jumpy idle.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Need_New_Car said:
I'm a newbie, obviously, what does "bump" mean?
Just sends a post to the top of the list so other members can notice and post.

Scuba check out the plugs, they may be fouled... also, since you have a CEL, there are likely codes, go to your local audtozone and have them pull up the codes, then post them up here so we can look them up. As far as the CP issue, I don't think thats it. The Beru CP's don't usually fail like that, and if they did fail, you would notice extremely rough idle, not just fluxuating RPM. Perhaps it has something to do with your ICM, I know those are prone to failure on the AEB's

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
Sure sounds like a coil pack since it was running bad at idle or under load, no boost under load.

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ICM would create a flashing CEL, not steady, but Im not going to deny it. AutoZone is out of the question. Without the car running smoothly, the car isnt going to get to AutoZone to get a scan on the CEL's. Nice idea though, if it would move.

Could be the MAF, but not sure. Ill have to wait and see what, if any codes I pull up.

Boost gauge read up to 9psi when the car ran. The vac hoses are all good. Recently checked them all when I did the manifold polishing. Checked them again, and all is still good.

So, back to the top.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Yea, this doesn't sound boost related, if your pulling 9PSI, then it should be fine. I don't know about a flashing CEL, on ICM failure, but I do know that it was a problem in the AEB's. Thats definatly something worthwhile to check. Maybe a wire got jossled loose. I didn't know you had a Vag Com, or I wouldn't have suggested autozone, but definatly let us know what you find :wink:

·
Registered
790 Posts
You didn't pop a hose or anything did you? Have you tried running the car with the MAF unplugged? If the MAF is plugged in and you have a major leak, the car basically will not run, because it'll be so damn confused about the amount of airflow vs measured. It can't correct the 100% or whatever it wants to.

You need to find a friend to scan the code for you. Maybe put a plee out at the top of this post to find someone in your area?

-Ian

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
About this Discussion
38 Replies
15 Participants
JEM
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing