Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Update--Took the car to a VW dealer and the mechanic said that the new brake pads that vw is manufacturing have extra brake pad material on the bottom (closest to the hub) which would cause the top of the pad not to sit flush with the rotor. However, he said that the top of my pads seemed further away from the rotor than what he was accustomed to seeing. He suggested to wait a couple of weeks and see if they set in. The thing is, I've already put about 600 miles on the new pads and I don’t see a difference yet. ---

Just had my front pads replaced and I noticed that they are not sitting flush with the rotor - the pads are angled and only the bottom portion of the pad is flush with the rotor, the top is a fraction of an inch away. I figured that once the brake pedal is pressed the entire pad surface would be flush with the rotor but it wasn't. I went back to the mechanic and he told me that new VW pads are beveled to assure that they seat properly and that eventually with wear they will be parallel to the rotors. Is this right? It does not sound right to me ---- at this point I am braking using only a portion of the pad. What do you think? Anyone recently replaced the pads and noticed the same thing?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
sounds screwy to me, i did my pads this weekend with hawk pads and they fit just right. :???:

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
Sounds screwy to me too. I'd be worried about putting a groove in the rotor if I had that issue. Sounds like the pads are seated properly - I recently changed the pads (and will be doing it again this coming weekend since I don't like the pads I bought and will be switching to Mintex Red) and they sit flush with the rotors.

I'd take it to someone if you don't know how to do it yourself and have them look at it. I wouldn't go back to the dealer for sure on this issue.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Are you sure? The edges are often chamfered, so they don't sit flush but the rest of the pad does. The forces applied to brake pads are huge and it is unlikely that they would tolerate a gap. I always do my own brakes and short of inserting a washer there's nothing you could do that would lead to the brakes not seating properly against the disk.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I had an independent mechanic look into a problem I'd been having with brake squeal, only the squeal was happening during driving, and would go away during braking, but then commence with "normal" brake squeal.

The mechanic pulled the brake pad and it hadn't been sitting flush with the rotor, and had formed a lip where the pad wasn't contacting the rotor. That was likely causing some squealing during driving, where the unused part of the pad was chattering against the rotor.

He said to replace the fronts, and ever since I did, no brake squeal of any kind.

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
I got the impression from his post that the pads weren't sitting flush from top to bottom and not that the leading and trailing edges were the issue. My new Mintex pads have the chamfer on the front and rear edges so I know what you're talking about but if the bottom of the pad is making contact but the top isn't then it sounds like an issue to me. I'm no expert having only done a couple of brake jobs so far but this doesn't sound right to me.

·
Registered
487 Posts
In the past I have had the situation where the disk was worn but I was too poor to replace it and there was a pronounced lip at top and bottom (hub/rim, however you want to say it) of the contact area. I fitted new pads that were slightly out of dimension and sat against the lip, by the end of the driveway they were flush.

Any chance of a picture? If I was in Long Island I'd drop by.

Since the same brakes take a lot more maintenance here than in the UK I'm very suspicious of what I hear said about brakes now.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll take a picture and post by tomorrow. Keep an eye out.

To make it clear the botom of the pad (closer to the hub) touches the rotor the top does not.

How hard is it to remove the pads and then reinstall? Do i need any special tools?

·
Registered
487 Posts
It's easy, I haven't done mine yet but the worst thing I have found in 20 years was a need for a 7mm Allen wrench on my first Audi. Perhaps I should take them off tonight just so I'm not just full of hot air?

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
RobsB said:
I'll take a picture and post by tomorrow. Keep an eye out.

To make it clear the botom of the pad (closer to the hub) touches the rotor the top does not.

How hard is it to remove the pads and then reinstall? Do i need any special tools?
Just the aforementioned allen wrench and a C-Clamp to push the piston back in. Its pretty straightforward and shouldn't take all that long.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
6 Participants
vwwanksta69
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing