Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed ECS Tunings's Beefier Tie Rod Ends. I'm looking to find out if it corrects some of the steering slop and mushiness, and adds some steering feedback to the Passat's steering. This is the one thing of the car which I do not like. Is this a recommended mod?
UPDATE..UPDATE...
Installed my ECS Tie Rods yesterday (They are actually made by Meyle)
the steering now has less slop and more road feel to it. The beefed up rods are all steel while the OEM units have rubber as part of it's construction which is what causes the sloppy feel. My removed OEM rods were still in serviceable condition but the ECS units just make the steering sooo much more precise.

I HIGHLY recommnd if anyone who is interested. They cost $104.00 a pair.

KUDOS to b5bel for doing the installation for me. Good luck with the ride this week.

Sam...

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
How dare you say that passats have sloppy steering when Car and driver magazine love the feel of audi A4 and similare chassis cars you may be in need of some component replacement of a suspension upgrade.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
2000Passat1.8TS said:
Has anyone installed ECS Tunings's Beefier Tie Rod Ends. I'm looking to find out if it corrects some of the steering slop and mushiness, and adds some steering feedback to the Passat's steering. This is the one thing of the car which I do not like. Is this a recommended mod?
The ECS heavy-duty tie rod ends are a fairly new product and no one that I know has tried them yet. I am seriously thinking about it, although the CPP tie rod ends are even more attractive. Either one would certainly have to make a good improvement, and I don't think you could go wrong by doing it. But it's not a "recommended" mod - yet.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
2000Passat1.8TS, the Heavy Duty Tie Rod ends used by ECS Tuning (Meyle) will not give you steering wheel feedback and improve response like those from Custom Performance Products. Remember the ECS Tie Rods still use rubber bushings over an industrial steel joint while the CPP one's use spherical bearings. It will be better than the stock one's but don't hold a bar to the one's from Custom Performance.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
phantom GLI said:
How dare you say that passats have sloppy steering when Car and driver magazine love the feel of audi A4 and similare chassis cars you may be in need of some component replacement of a suspension upgrade.
Sorry Dude....Car and driver has never kept a Passat for four years and seen the steering feel deteriorate slowly as the car ages. Incidentally quite a few other enthusiast on this site share the same view.

I see that yopu live in the VI's where you don't normally drive at sustained speeds like we do here for long periods to really 'feel' the steering.

All cars have weak point and I think that this is one of those on the Passat. No intent to "diss' the Passat. I love everything else about it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you...

Thanks Swami...I did see your posting (and replied to it ) on the CPP control arms a few days ago. I just was looking for an alternate as the $1400 was a bit too steep for me at this time. Have you installed your arms yet?

Remember to give us some feed back whenyou do. Maybe I'll just find a way to GET that $1400 if you're really pleased with the results you get after installation.

Regards...Sam

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
The Swami said:
... Remember the ECS Tie Rods still use rubber bushings over an industrial steel joint while the CPP one's use spherical bearings. ...
ECS now has "heavy-duty" tie rod ends that do NOT have the rubber bushings. These were the ones I was referring to.

"OE Heavy Duty Tie Rod End Set, Left & Right Ends (Pair)
Revised all metal tie rod end with heavy duty ball & sockett assembly"

104.95 for a pair. How much were the CPP tie rod ends?

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
The Swami said:
2000Passat1.8TS, the Heavy Duty Tie Rod ends used by ECS Tuning (Meyle) will not give you steering wheel feedback and improve response like those from Custom Performance Products.
They won't give the NVH either.. As someone who drives a car with spherical bearings in a few spots, I think recommending this product is setting the stage for some disappointed family sedan owners.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Macabre said:
They won't give the NVH either.. As someone who drives a car with spherical bearings in a few spots, I think recommending this product is setting the stage for some disappointed family sedan owners.
Please explain.. The reason I'm going with the CPP Tie Rods and Control Arms is to improve two major issues with the Passat's handling. I will say that this product isn't for everyone, but I will appreciate the changes.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
I appreciate the changes too, which is why I run spherical bearings in several places on my car (non-Passat). However with spherical bearings and high performance tires you can run over a dime and tell what side was up, if you catch my meaning. That's both good and bad at the same time. For most enthusiast types, a harder rubber or polyurethane is a better compromise than the ultra-precise yet completely uncompliant spherical bearings.

I just wanted to add a counterpoint because these threads that have popped up recently seem to be filled with people looking for a basic upgrade to the unreliable stock control arms on their comfy cruiser and this product is really not for them.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Macabre said:
I just wanted to add a counterpoint because these threads that have popped up recently seem to be filled with people looking for a basic upgrade to the unreliable stock control arms on their comfy cruiser and this product is really not for them.
Macabre... your point is well taken and appreciated. I really do not autocross or track the car though I drive aggressively. The CPP setup that Swami has looks solid and I'm sure looking forward to get his feedback after installation but it MAY be a bit of an overkill for me.

My wife has a '95 Infiniti G20T (with 50,000 miles)and believe me that car's got awesome response and feedback to the steering...I mean it's just beautiful man. The car tracts very precisely when driving straight ahead and calls for minimum steering wheel input. I wish I could just transplant that same feeling to my Passat...There has got to be a way to tighten up the steering on our B5's.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hi Phantom GLI!

The Passat _does_ have sloppy, mushy, numb, over-boosted power steering which provides little to no feedback to the driver in terms of what's really going on between the rubber and the road. Car and driver may not think so, but just about every other car magazine I've read, especially the ones from across the pond, believe this to be true of the Audi lineup (and hence those platforms shared with VW). Of course it really doesn't matter what the car rags say, just go out the drive your car and compare it to the other cars in it's class - the Accord EX 4-cyl I took for a _very_ spirited test drive has more steering feedback than my car ('04 GLS 5-speed). This is the one thing, above all, that I can say I which I really dislike about the Passat. It's great that we all love our cars, but we have to be honest and realistic about their shortcomings.

Abe

·
Registered
28 Posts
No actual feedback yet?

I take it from the responses no one has tried the new heavy duty tie rod ends from ECS yet?
My wife drives the Passat most of the time, and appreciates good feedback, but would not like additional vibration - anyone have these yet?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
for better feel and feedback, invest your money on better set of rubber. improved tie rod ends will not change the response behavior if run on the stock sized tires. On any stock size tires, everything feels sloppy in comparison to upgraded suspension parts.

Even on upgraded wheels & tires, aftermarket tie rod ends will not add much to road feel on the moderately modified suspension system. If you're running 19" wheels with 35 series tires with really stiff springs/shock combo, then you'll probably notice the change, but how many run such set up? Also, if you do run such set up, then comfort is the last thing that will stop you from such upgrade.

These HD tie rod ends will just do what it is designed to do, which is a direct OE replacement and will last longer than the factory OE parts. What else do you want?

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Guys, here's part of a post I did which described my Tie-Rod and Control Arm install. Yes I decided to go with the Meyle Heavy Duty Tie Rods instead of the CPP one's...

Now here's what I did to my W8..

I replaced the Rear Toe Link (4 Motion Only) and Upper Control Arms with one's from Custom Performance Products, and replaced the Tie Rods with heavy duty one's from Meyle courtesy of ECSTuning. I decided not to replace my lower-control arms because I didn't want to feel too much of the road. After the installation I was able to get an alignment on my KW-V3's that didn't wear the inside of my tires.

The steering response has increased dramatically and the ride isn't harsh at all. I doubt I'll change the lower control arms but who knows? Now if your dealership tells you that your Control Arms need to be replaced I would really recommend using Uppers from CPP and VW/Audi OEM lowers. Also don't waste your $$$ on CPP Tie Rod Ends, the Heavy Duty Meyle ones are more than adequate for your Passat.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well Guys... I just received a pair of the Heavy Duty Tie Rods from ECS Tuning and will be installing them this coming weekend. I will most certainly give feedback on the results as it seems that I may be the first to install these.

I dont expect to get the great results that 'The Swami' got with his CPP units(Kudos to you Swami glad to see that your upgrade went well) but any thing that gets rid of some of the slop in the steering will have helped.

I installed the ECS Two Piece rotors with Hawk HPS pads this weekend. My braking in the wet problem has gone away and I just have to saw... awesome upgrade. I plan on installing the Porche calipers later but even with the stock calipers the braking is so much improved.

Sam...

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
atomicalex said:
Thank you for this report, Will. (where are my little bottles?)

I think this is something I will consider down the line.
:shock: You know that package is sitting in my backseat. I've been getting home so late, I haven't had time to run to the Post-Office and send them. I promise I'll do it during lunch today; even if those lazy cable laying chumps who work for the Federal Govt. don't get my network cluster functioning.

Alex, thank you so much!!!

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
2000Passat1.8TS said:
Well Guys... I just received a pair of the Heavy Duty Tie Rods from ECS Tuning and will be installing them this coming weekend. I will most certainly give feedback on the results as it seems that I may be the first to install these.

I dont expect to get the great results that 'The Swami' got with his CPP units(Kudos to you Swami glad to see that your upgrade went well) but any thing that gets rid of some of the slop in the steering will have helped.

I installed the ECS Two Piece rotors with Hawk HPS pads this weekend. My braking in the wet problem has gone away and I just have to saw... awesome upgrade. I plan on installing the Porsche calipers later but even with the stock calipers the braking is so much improved.

Sam...
Sam, what other suspension modifications have you done? Dampers/shocks...Springs...Coilovers...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Sam,
Do you plan on doing the install or taking it to a shop? Please let me know if it is a PITA.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
14 Participants
Scuba2001
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing