Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have doing this for about 2 weeks now... shake for breakfast, one for lunch, and a decently healthy meal for dinner... its not hard at all. Not only am I saving tons of money and getting out of work earlier (no lunch break needed), but I have lost 7 lbs in 2 weeks! I also started walking every night too... first just around the block, now almost 1.5 miles!

I hate dieting, but this is so simple... I could see myself keeping this up for a while (plenty of brands and flavors out there).

The other thing which is working really well for me is staying away from all foods with Hydrogenated oils... if its in it, i don't eat it... not even one. You wouldn't believe how many foods have that kind of oil in them... All girlscout cookies do, goldfish, and pretty much any Nabisco product... its nasty to even think about now.

I also cut down on portion sizes when I do eat real food. I have really started to enjoy eating now instead of it being a non-thought process... every bite seems so good.

Any other experieces/ advice with this?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Good for you! It's great when people become concious of what they really neeed to be eating/doing! :thumbup:
Another idea is (i never diet, but try to watch what I eat...SLOW metabolism!) I believe in working out... A recent study showed that CONSISTANT EXERCISE burns fat faster. I try not to eat after 7pm, and try to make my lunch the larger of the two meals I eat a day. If you keep to walking, try to make steps to working out harder and harder. :) If I walk for a certain amount of days, I try to pick it up to a jog... then running... ALWAYS TRY TO MAKE PROGRESS! :weirdo: I don't mean to knock you, but ENCOURAGE!! :thumbup: CONGRATS ON RESULTS!!
-RYAN 8)

·
Registered
893 Posts
While I don't nessecarily agree with it now, it is how I started on my weightloss. Like you said, it's so easy... no calories to count for the most part, just follow the instructions.

I will get boring after a while though...

My thoughts now, after going through first the Slim Fast plan... then to a traditional low fat diet and finally to Atkins (I've lost about 120-130lbs total), is to do what you know you can maintain for the rest of your life. A 'diet' should be a way of life, not something you do to lose a few pounds and then go back to the way you've been eating to put on the pounds in the first place. Eventually you should try to find a real eating plan that fits you well. :)

Keep it up!

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I like to drink a sensible Slim Fast shake on the way to Krispy Kreme each morning. Later, I drink a sensible Slim Fast shake as an appetizer before hitting the Pizza Hut buffet at lunch. I usually sip on a sensible Slim Fast shake as I'm picking up dinner at KFC.

:lol:

Seriously, it is about changing habits and Slim Fast can help. Becareful, Slim Fast has a bunch of carbs.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Yeah... if i remember correctly, SlimFast has about as much sugar as a can of coke. Check out the Atkins, EAS Carb Control, Carborite, and SlimFast low Carb shakes.... much lower carbs (stable blood sugar, fewer cravings and energy crashes), higher protein and fat (keeps you satisfied longer).

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
all those diets in a can are temporary solutions(been there done that) the best way to lose weight and keep it off is to be a little more active and just don't go overboard on the beer, fast food and sweets. its all about having a decent balance in life.keep to it if its working but don't forget eating the same stuff all the time I.E. slim fast or whatver, and the atkins diet is dangerous, yeah you lose weight but its at a loss of energy and vitamines and nutrients your body needs.

i speak of experience as i was 265 two years ago and i am now 220 ish and have been for the last year or so. i never dieted to lose this weigh, i only decided to eat less and twice a week i'll go to the gym for a 3/4 hour cardio work out.it works and you'll feel better in the end too.good luck :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
I was 215 lbs in July and now am floating around 195 lbs, mostly from my job though, getting in and out of a truck alot and alot of walking.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Keep up the good work. I was at 270lbs 3 weeks ago I am now down to 239lbs....Atkins Diet..now my knees don't hurt. My goal is to be 200pds by the end of summer

·
Confused
3,561 Posts
man......sounds like summertime is just around the corner! i've been on the "south beach diet" for about three weeks now. cut out plenty of carbs, hig-fat meats, and sweets. i lost 12 pounds in the first two weeks and 2 pounds in the third. 14 pounds total in three weeks. i'm down from 211 to 197. at my highest, i was around 220! my goal is 180 by august.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Johnny B5.5 said:
I like to drink a sensible Slim Fast shake on the way to Krispy Kreme each morning.
No kidding...I used to work with a guy who had a Slim Fast can every morning at work...while eating a donut. The best part was, after 6 months, he complained that "this diet is just not working." Idiot was actually gaining weight. :roll:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Thats great that its helping you lose weight!
2.0 GTI is correct.
IMO it should be used as the motivation for you to change your lifestyle. :)
Drink more water, take your daily multivitamin, and look into some sort of protein supplement, keep up with the cardio and work up to some weight training if possible. (you'll burn double the fat)
You'll notice that you really can eat what you want once your metabolism raises from the exercise.
Slim fast is very convenient, but you will hit a plateau.
The goal is to burn body fat, not just lose weight.
:thumbup:
example,
my gf and I were sick of being out of shape. we tried fad diets (slim fast, etc) didnt work...so we started walking in the morning....long story short...
before x mas we were jogging 2-3 miles 4 times a week. losing a steady 2 lbs or so a week. then during the holidays we stopped jogging and dieting, and weight training...And we ended up losing 5 lbs in 2 weeks of doing nothing just because of our metabolism ! ! Some people who decide to diet the correct way like we did, only lose a minimal amount of actual lbs, because what they lose in fat, they gain in muscle. They get thinner and thinner and more toned, but discouraged because they cant see it on the scale.
http://www.johnstonefitness.com/all/front/m.html
Scroll down to "pictures by month"
Check out his site. This dude is a great inspiration......
Good luck ! ! ! ! !
Matt

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Johnny B5.5 said:
I like to drink a sensible Slim Fast shake on the way to Krispy Kreme each morning. Later, I drink a sensible Slim Fast shake as an appetizer before hitting the Pizza Hut buffet at lunch. I usually sip on a sensible Slim Fast shake as I'm picking up dinner at KFC.
Try a strawberry one with your Fuddrucker's take-away double cheeseburger.

Really tasty.

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
Excellent job!!! There are better things you can do as a meal replacement though. As mentioned above, there's (IIRC) 34g of carbs (and not all that much fiber to counter them) so it's mostly sugar.

The absolute BEST I've found (helps having friends that have their PhD's in nutrition, and biological sciences... and others who specialize in Functional Medicine) is a product called UltraMeal by Metagenics.

http://www.metagenics.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?pid=20

It's glycemicly balanced, and designed specifically for people who are aiming at changing body composition, so even though it's got carbs, they are good carb's and impact your insulin level VERY little. It was originally developed to help those with Type 2 diabeties. The clinical studies have shown that it's very good at retaining lean muscle mass (most lost no muscle mass while dropping fat with light exercise).

I started out this year doing Atkins to the tune of loosing 20 lb's. Did that for about a month (went from 19% body fat to 14%, and then switched to using UltraMeal for breakfast and lunch. I started resistance training at the same time, and have not lost any additional weight, but am now at 8% body fat. Planning to be at 5%, and 225lb of twisted-steel-and-sex-appeal over the next year :) That means a loss of about 4 more pounds of fat and the addition of about 25 lb of lean muscle mass (OK, maybe 2 tears :) )

Whatever you do, make sure it's something you like... and look to doing some circuit resistance training. It's the holy grail of weight loss, and body composition. Also as mentioned above, use something else besides just your weight to measure your progress, because eventually the scale will depress you. Use body fat measurement, and actual body measurements (arms chest, waist hips and thighs). Once the scale stalls out on you, these other measurements assure you that you are still progressing towards your goal.

It's the journey that you gotta love, and it doesn't end till the day you die

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
5% BF? :eek: I'm fine with my body fat (well, drop a couple more % probably while upping the ol' lean mass), and it's up around 17%. Gotta have some "insulation" left! :lol:

I've found that for me, at least, weight training is a great way to "lose weight". Need to go in and get measured again, but after my first two months in the gym, I lost 7 pounds of fat, and gained 2 pounds of muscle. I haven't dropped my weight much more (a pound or two), but I know my muscle mass is growing. Great way to feel better about yourself. (Helps, too, because I was unconsciously trying to eat at least a little bit better -- fewer sodas, stuff like that. Didn't try, just did it.)

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Mister_Rogers said:
Keep up the good work. I was at 270lbs 3 weeks ago I am now down to 239lbs....Atkins Diet..now my knees don't hurt. My goal is to be 200pds by the end of summer
Dayum... That is a lot of weight in that short amount of time.

Congrats.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have used Slim Fast to kick start a weight loss program. I find that after a while it just gets too boring. About two years ago I was getting toward 200lbs so I started with a Costco sized Slim Fast box. After that was all used up, I just started eating right and increased my workouts. Two years later I am at 180 and starting to workout again.

One tip, when I got off the Slim Fast plan I just looked at the calories that I was getting from drinking that stuff and tried to manage the same amount through real food. That works well because as many people above me have stated...you get a lot of sugar and carbs from using Slim Fast that you don't get through real food.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Re: Experiences with the Slim Fast diet?

InkBlue said:
I also started walking every night too... first just around the block, now almost 1.5 miles!

I also cut down on portion sizes when I do eat real food.
^^I think these are the keys to success.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Experiences with the Slim Fast diet?

InkBlue said:
I have doing this for about 2 weeks now... shake for breakfast, one for lunch, and a decently healthy meal for dinner... its not hard at all. Not only am I saving tons of money and getting out of work earlier (no lunch break needed), but I have lost 7 lbs in 2 weeks! I also started walking every night too... first just around the block, now almost 1.5 miles!

I hate dieting, but this is so simple... I could see myself keeping this up for a while (plenty of brands and flavors out there).
Well its been 2 weeks since my last post... The plan is still going great. I am down to 166 today (187 in Dec) and I am feeling GRRREAT! Everyday I have been walking more and more (seeing how long it takes me to get tired) and I walked 4 miles one night with no problem! Keep in mind, I have 2 dogs who seem to never tire out...so they are a huge help. Finally last night I got to the point where walking seemed too slow... so I started jogging. Now keep in mind I was in SUCH BAD SHAPE a month ago, I would dread walking to the end of our street with my dogs. Last night I jogged about a mile! I am progressing much faster then I ever thought possible.

As for the slim fast, I have basically cut down to 1 drink a day now for breakfast. I find that I can no longer eat the portion sizes I once ate without feeling sick (overly full). I am taking a multi angle approach to losing weight incorporating the best parts of all diets... Low carbs, no snacking, no fast food (period!), and exercising!

I have more energy then ever now... I am working on all kinds of projects. Built a new gate out of redwood for my neighbor, cleaned her patio, pressure washed it, I got an extended contract for my job and a higher pay (mainly b/c I now have the self confidence to tell my boss to shove it if necessary...funny story, but that’s for another post)...

Overall, here is what I have to say... Slim fast does work as a catalyst to start losing weight and feeling better. I see no reason to stop what I am doing (lighter meals, low snacks, plenty of exercising).

Even my cocker spaniel has even lost a few pounds and looks great...she is playing and running around the house like never before! :)

While this will be a lifelong continuing process, I want to thank all of you for your excellent advice and suggestions! I will check back in a few weeks and let you know my progress.. My goal is to get to around 155-160.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
My only experience with Slim Fast has been spanking my monkey to the "after" pics of chicks in leotards as an adolescent. :lol: I did it so much that I lost a good 5 pounds!!!

I've seen many friends and family members lose a TON of weight on the low carb (atkins-type) diets.

Good luck to everyone!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts