Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an obnoxious rotating, clicking noise from my front pass. side wheel well. I tore the boot a year and a half ago and it started to click. I got it repaired but dont remember if the clicking went away, but I know its been there for a while now! :mad:

Could the old tear be causing this!? Is there any way I could add grease to the CV Boot?

TIA,
Ryan :)

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
CV boots don't click. :) Once they tear and fling all the grease out of the joint it depends how long you run it like that to tell if the joint is ruined. Doesn;t take long for your joint to be ruined. Sounds like your outer CV Joint is. You can add grease but you have to pull the axle off to get to the inner joint componenets and that will probably only postpone the inevitable. At that point you should just replace the whole axle as your problem will return. Good luck Ryan!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Several people have gone through http://www.raxles.com/products.aspx before with good sucess. I believe stock replacement is like 180 with a high performance beefier one goes for 240. Give him a call. Dealer price is like 500 bucks a side.

Here is a good read about split boots.
http://www.raxles.com/splitboots.aspx

".. and most importantly, a joint with a bad boot and contaminated grease may be damaged and need to be replaced anyway. It's impossible to detect certain types of cage damage and race wear without removing the joint from the car."

Good luck!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Re: "Clicking" from OLD CV Boot tear?

Curry said:
I've got an obnoxious rotating, clicking noise from my front pass. side wheel well. I tore the boot a year and a half ago and it started to click. I got it repaired but dont remember if the clicking went away, but I know its been there for a while now! :mad:

Could the old tear be causing this!? Is there any way I could add grease to the CV Boot?

TIA,
I'm with the same problem.... this sucks.... :mad:

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just ordered an axle from raxles.com, great guy, great service! Will let you know how the install goes next week! Any tips/tricks for the install, it looks preatty straight forward.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Curry said:
I just ordered an axle from raxles.com, great guy, great service! Will let you know how the install goes next week! Any tips/tricks for the install, it looks preatty straight forward.

get the tools from autozone . . . . $13 for the 10mm triple square and $8 for the 14mm hex kit.

Dave

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
crew217 said:
Curry said:
thanks again Dave! :thumbup:
np . . . btw

REMOVE THE SPEED SENSOR BEFORE DOING ANYTHING

;)

Just to be safe. I almost screwed it up when i started pulling on the axle. Then i realized I still had it in.

Dave
I read that in all the write-ups, but lets hope I remember it! :roll:

When I ordered the axle I was told that I can do this w/o pulling off the caliper and rotor. Did you do it that way? Or Is it easier to take them off?

Ryan

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Curry said:
crew217 said:
Curry said:
thanks again Dave! :thumbup:
np . . . btw

REMOVE THE SPEED SENSOR BEFORE DOING ANYTHING

;)

Just to be safe. I almost screwed it up when i started pulling on the axle. Then i realized I still had it in.

Dave
I read that in all the write-ups, but lets hope I remember it! :roll:

When I ordered the axle I was told that I can do this w/o pulling off the caliper and rotor. Did you do it that way? Or Is it easier to take them off?

Ryan

Heh I have a BBK and I had no issues getting it out without removing the caliper and rotor.

Dave

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.