Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Passat GLX (FWD) only has 29,000 miles on it, and i've noticed my tires starting to feather around the outside edges only. I've only become real concerned resently because I'm beginning to feel a slight shimmy in my steering wheel now. Could this be caused my the unusual tire wear, or some other problem in the suspension? Whats causing this tire wear? I thought maybe hard cornering causes this, but i've never really "beat" on my car, and don't take my turns all that fast. It also tends to follow the "slope" of the road rather badly too, whether it slopes towards the inside or outside. Either way, I can't take my hands off the wheel because the car never tracks straight ahead. I don't know if its and alignment issue, or if this is just normal for passats.

·
Registered
26,821 Posts
Alignment sounds like it is out. It is not unusual to have feathering,you have to rotate the tires
often to keep it to a minimum.
PZ.

·
Banned
3,172 Posts
Yeah, that feathering, (aka "cupping"), is pretty common and as PZ said above, it's usually your tires calling for a rotation.

It's important to get a rotation if this happens, otherwise the tires may get so cupped that they will become very noisy and uneven--pretty much ruining them for the rest of their lives.

-Harry

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Take it in for an alignment, but be sure that the shop you take it to either has VW experience or is a VW shop themselves. Alignment on our cars is not something for Joe Mechanic down the street.

Yea, can't stress how important it is to rotate your tires. Especially if you're lowered, uneven wear can be murderous on suspensions components and dangerous if you have a blowout. Plus rotating frequently extends the life of your tires.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I've only had the car for 10,000 miles, but I've rotated my tires every 5,000 miles, or every time I change oil. Thats why I was thinking maybe it was an alignment problem. I know from working on the Mack trucks that I do at work, when the toe is out, the tires will feather, but thats usually across the whole tread of the tire. My tires are only doing it around the outside. To answer jeffsu350's question, I think VW recommends rotating your tires every 10,000 miles, but that seems a bit long to me, I was always told every 6,000 to 8,000 miles. As for my other question, anyone know whats causing my shimmy in the steering wheel? My guess its just the uneven tire where.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
You could also need to balance the wheels, most likely the front wheels. This would only cause shacking at higher speeds however. Also the car shoudl track with the slope to some extent, go to an empty flat parking lot and try to take your hands off the wheel. If it pulls to a side, turn around and make sure it isn't the road it is the car.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think its the balancing of my wheels, I feel the shimmy no matter how fast I'm going. Usually when tire is out of balance, you'll start to feel the vibration at a certain speed, and then it may disappear once you reach a speed faster than what it started at. I checked my tires again today and noticed a slight bit of feather on the inside of the tires too, so I think its an alignment problem, probably toe. As for the car following the slope of the road and pulling from side to side, it does get pretty violant some times. I can understand it maybe following the slope of the road to a certain extent, but it seems pretty extreme sometimes. I've owned several other makes of cars before my passat ( my first vw) and never had this problem before. Its just I really expected better of a vw.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
What tires are they? At one point they were putting Goodyears on that were were gone in 25000 miles. The mich and the conti's tend to last a bit longer. Needing to change them in the 35-40000 mile range is not uncommon though for stock tires.

Some people here will tell you they got 2,000,000 miles out of them 8)

It could simply be they are shot. The Conti's that came on my wife's 2000 were feathering some at 30000 and needed to be replaced at 40.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine has the michelens on it. Theres planty of tread on them, almost like new, its just that they're feathering a bit along the outside and inside edges of the tread.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
has anyone mentioned tire pressure before. This cause cause wear on the inside and outside, if the pressure is too low. I dont think it should cause the car to pull more, but you never know. I would double check the tire pressure if you haven't already, just to make sure

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no, I keep regular tabs on my tire pressures just for that reason. if anything, I have them set maybe a couple pounds to high because my girlfriend and I both play hokey a couple times a week and I like having the extra air pressure they're for the extra weight of 2 people and our gear.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am having the same Problem. I have a 02 GLS with 45k. I bought it used and I dont think the previous owner ever rotated the tires. The inside of my front tires are almost down to the metal and the outside of the tire is worn pretty bad too. Now I have to spend my tax money on new tires and an alignment. Does anyone have any recomendation on new tires. I have to stay with the stock 15's because my wife wont let me spend money on new rims :(

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you have the Continental tires, the rather rough feeling on the outside of the tires is somewhat normal. Also these tires have a ton of grip onthe outside, so that will explain following the crown of the road. I have a 03 glx 4-mo and every other passat with those tires does the same thing. Keep a steady rotation at 3-4k miles and I think that shuold help. Also if it really is a feathering problem, then you will start to hear a humming at higher speeds.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts