Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked my oil yesterday and there was a light colored petroleum gel on the top of the orange plastic piece on the dipstick which marks the top of the low/add range. It resembled petroleum jelly, but it was milkier and more liquid. The oil level was directly in the middle of the low/add range, so no problem there. I wiped the stick clean and rechecked it. This time there was no gel on it. Anyone have any ideas what this may be?

I check my oil every 1000 miles and have never seen this before.

1999 GLS V6 Tipronic, 43000 miles

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
Sounds like condensation. No biggy. Will burn off when the engine is hot for a descent period of time. Did you by chance have a similar substance on the filler cap?

Small amounts of what you saw are OK... boat loads of it indicate a coolant leak, but it sounds like you just have a little bit, so no worries.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the info. I'll keep tabs on it and make sure it isn't a recurring problem.

:b5: :thumbup:

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
Consider it a naturally RE-occuring phenomena. Particularly on colder day's (when the block is cold enough for condensation to form.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm sure the guys are right about what it is, but if your oil ever turns milky, it's a sign that water is getting into the system. Could be a blown head gasket. Just for future reference in case you start seeing more of this, or it comes up in the future.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
MindTrigger
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing