Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
mini pet peeve:

living in so. cal it is inevitable that you see cars with full on body kits yet they're not painted. i've always wanted to ask an owner of one of these cars but i just never had the chance to. do they just run like this forever w/o getting them painted or what? i've seen the same car for months with that neat unpaited white gelcoat color body kit.

i don't get it. either paint it then put it on. or save money and leave it off the car in the meanwhile.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Re: Unpainted body kits on cars...why?! (schmove)

i might do it.. hehe.. haah.. yea right..

you know i wonder the same thing ed.. see it alot here in tucson too... GHETTO!!!!

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Unpainted body kits on cars...why?! (gufi21)

hey james with them 3 bumpers you have, you probably will have to

·
Banned
4,653 Posts

These kids can't afford to get their "Super-ninja-gunfighter-euro-style" bodykit painted on the salary they make at Jack in the Box. Cut them a little slack

They probably don't care about paint anyway, since they are realizing the aerodynamic benefits immediately.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Re: Unpainted body kits on cars...why?! (jwil)

I think it is almost a Ghetto-Fabulous-Status-Symbol, seriously.

Basically, a Honda Accord is a Honda Accord, duh.
Now add a Fast and Furious Body-Kit-In-The-Box.... voila'. Instant "individuality," just like the guy two cars behind you.
A body kit, ALBEIT still unpainted, shows that you have a MODIFIED vehicle.

Whenever I see a car with a properly painted body kit, whether it's a nice Honda or Acura, or even a NEON, if it has a matching painted body kit, I have to give the guy/gal some credit.
At least they had the willpower to paint the kit before installing it.

<![CDATA[I think it is almost a Ghetto-Fabulous-Status-Symbol, seriously.

Basically, a Honda Accord is a Honda Accord, duh.
Now add a Fast and Furious Body-Kit-In-The-Box.... voila'. Instant "individuality," just like the guy two cars behind you.
A body kit, ALBEIT still unpainted, shows that you have a MODIFIED vehicle.

Whenever I see a car with a properly painted body kit, whether it's a nice Honda or Acura, or even a NEON, if it has a matching painted body kit, I have to give the guy/gal some credit.
At least they had the willpower to paint the kit before installing it.

[Modified by jomo3vw, 1:19 AM 8/29/2002]

·
Registered
2,468 Posts

I think maybe it's b/c they are, or at least want to give the impression they're going to later paint the whole car a different color, and that it's probably easier/cheaper to have the kit on first.

However, most likely I think those cheapskates probably just can't afford to do the paint (probably it costs more than the cheapo combat kit alone) or they can't find a mechanic who wants to deal with the aerokit. Not every bodyshop wants to be liable for crappy bodykits that don't fit correctly.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Re: Unpainted body kits on cars...why?! (ronaldmcdonald)

lol. .i know i would probably at least test fit any body mods that i pick up before i spend good money to get them painted ...
as for some of these guys .. i really don't know.
but compare most body kits for hondas,etc and you'll find that they are a LOT cheaper (quality and price) than most of the stuff that we'll find for our b5s...
i'm talking all the way around for 5 or 6 hundred dollars ... figure it'll cost them just as much to get it painted..
but still .. i don't understand why they would drive around on those for months and risk damaging those cheap plastic front spoilers before having them done and painted.
as for aerodynamic benefits .. don't get me started on that ..

·
Registered
666 Posts
Re: Unpainted body kits on cars...why?! (schmim)

you don't have to tell me about unpainted body kits on cars, I live in unpainted bodykits central (Garden Grove/Westminster) everywhere I go they are everywhere, sometimes they make me
......not really it just makes my car look so much better when I'm next to them

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Re: Unpainted body kits on cars...why?! (jdub)

i think i havetheworstcase of unpaintedcarsi,am in west palm beach florida, andthere are integras ,civics,accords,and neons ,etc all unpainted and they gettogether in front of theseso called performance shops acting liketherecarsarein ashowall unpainted body kits, dam if you can,t afford to paint it don,t put it on . i havebeen here for almost 2 years nowandi still someofthesamecarsdriving around with unpainted kits

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Unpainted body kits on cars...why?! (ronaldmcdonald)

ya thats what i thought that it was just to give the impression that you'd eventually paint it later. i guess having it on for months is just a "extended test fit" period.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Re: Unpainted body kits on cars...why?! (jwil)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>They probably don't care about paint anyway, since they are realizing the aerodynamic benefits immediately.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think schmove hit it on the head. These kids are doing what we tend to aim for: add performance to your car before the all-show-no-go mods. I mean, come on, those body kits reduce drag by a whopping .002% and channel air through the brakes much better! Form follows function...but in their case, it's just never going to catch up.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts

Worst case is not only they are unpainted, the body kits they super glue on don't even fit i.e. big gaps, bulges and uneven in most areas(reminds me of overbite)
I've seen body kits on the freeway shoulder probably due to shoddy install. You can even see some with the fender flares flapping around and they don't care.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Re: Unpainted body kits on cars...why?! (powerslide23)

so what was the last count... about 50 extra ponies if you had the back widow knock off kip.. and about 55 if you got the real one... come on guys lets give these guys some slack on the body kit.. and lets start making fun of their spoilers.. hehe...
j/k.. well kinda... but yea... unpainted... thrown together using dry wall... then a paper clip as a spoiler.. now thats some rice with eggs...

·
Registered
2,292 Posts

Devil's advocate time.

First 2 years out of uni, I rode an '89 Suzuki Katana 1100. It was black. Laid it down and could only afford to buy cheap, salvaged plastics. Bike was then black on some panels, burgundy on others. Would have liked to have had the cash to paint it, but didn't. Bike still was cool to me.

Often, we don't finish a job we started -- whether it's forgetfullness, time or money that gets in the way. How many of us have "projects" left incomplete at home?

It's only ever easy to do a job properly if you have the necessary skills readily available ... and if you have enough cash.

I don't have either, and neither do a ton of those kids. While most people's trials & errors are hidden within their own four walls or gardens, these kids' are out on four wheels for all to see.

Not all Japanese-car modders suck. Not all VW drivers are female; balding, fat, middle-aged white men; or gay.

(denotes end of Devil portion
)

cheahs,

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Unpainted body kits on cars...why?! (flying_scotsman)

they could always WAIT and save up to get it painted. i know most of them don't have alot of money, but neither do i. but you dont see me flossin my votex and oettinger gear unpainted. most of the cars have nice big wheels and various other do dads, yet they'll skimp on paint and just mount it? don't get it at all...they're just impatient.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts

Or better yet, they're just desperate show-offs. I think the same principle is at work here with other typical ricer atrocities, like cutting the stock springs to get a slammed look, pasting 100's of lbs worth of cheesy stickers and graphics. They don't really care about modding the car per say. Rather, I think it's just a means to get attention, or trying to be 'different', even if means not doing things the proper way or hampering function (whether it be utility or performance)

Usually, it's a whole lot easier to get attention by doing the wrong things than the right things.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts

They went broke after buying 2-3 HUGE spoiler. Are they ricer's?.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Re: Unpainted body kits on cars...why?! (Ricardo)

its the same reason why old people leave the blue soap on new tires with white letters. They want everyone to know they have something new...hehe

Kevin

·
Registered
332 Posts
Re: Unpainted body kits on cars...why?! (vwjedi)

Tell me about it here in Garden Grove. I can look out my window and see one drive by every five minutes or less.

I'd personally be embarrased to put anything on my car that was not painted yet. If you are going to test fit it, then fine, do it and then take it off. If you can't afford to paint the stuff, then why buy it in the first place? If you are going to repaint the whole car eventually, then put the kit on when it's ready to be painted. Why get road debris chips all over it now?

It's one of my biggest pet peeves related to cars. I can handle the big wings, big wheels and stickers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts