Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone knows what the official maintenance schedule is but I wanted to collect some perls of wisdom about the unofficial ones

example

clean the sun-roof nipples every X miles

If you do post please make sure to denote if its model specific ( ie v6 tdi 1.8t wagon etc)

·
Resident a-hole knowitall
15,715 Posts
once a year change plugs, cabin filter, air filter, fuel filter regardless of miles and engine (unless your a diesel than forget about the plugs:lol:) they are cheap and the slight boost in MPG will offset the costs in the long run

·
Registered
985 Posts
I clean my nipples just about every day. :eek:h:

Bleed brakes annually and flush with super blue bi-annually (preferably coinciding with a pad/rotor change).

·
Administrator
23,415 Posts
cut the nipples on the drians and you won't have to clean them. That's what the dealer does.

1. Oil change every 5K Synthetic
2. Air Filter 20K
3. Fuel filter 30K
4. ATF 50K
5. Plugs 30-40K (even platinum) 10-20K if Coppers w/Turbo
6. Brake Fluid flush every two years, DOT3/4
7. Brake pads/rotors, when they are low
8. PCV check and clean preferrably every year
9. Tire rotation every 5K
10. Throttle body clean 20K
11. Timing belt/tensioner/waterpump, other belts 70-75K
12. Engine/transmission mounts when they fail

·
Resident a-hole knowitall
15,715 Posts
Are you serious?
yes i am, whats the cost of all that stuff? not much and how long does it take not long at all most people dont do it but thats what i do and my passat engine is at 200k miles. that is of coarse with the 3k oil changes using synthetic and the big filter

·
Registered
12,065 Posts
Are you serious?
I'm pretty obsessive about maintenance. I'll use a different car instead of going 10 miles past the recommended OCI. But some of those recommendations are a bit excessive.

Plugs I change at 40K as per recommendation, and they clearly could go longer. Yearly (12K? 15K?) is just a waste. Cabin filter IS yearly, but is hardly a critical system. Air filter twice as often as recommended; I can see that. Mine is usually pretty cruddy and I've taken to changing it earlier. Fuel filter every year (IMHO) is pretty silly. It's one of those supposed "lifetime" components, and I assume it'll let me know if it's blocked. Just the same, I changed mine at 200,000 miles - just to be sure. It didn't affect anything.

·
Registered
797 Posts
About the only thing I haven't done is pcv, throttle body, and change my brake fluid - as far as I know I'm running on the original fluid - looks like it's time for me to DIY that or get it done.

·
Registered
272 Posts
once a year change plugs, cabin filter, air filter, fuel filter regardless of miles and engine (unless your a diesel than forget about the plugs:lol:) they are cheap and the slight boost in MPG will offset the costs in the long run
wow man I thought I was crazy for maintenance, cheap?? don't think the plugs qualify the rest of it is spot on though although I think I tend to change the air filter 1-2 times a year (drive alot)

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I am surprised that coolant has not made the list yet.

The frequency of rotted heater cores and oil cooler failures in this group is one of the better arguments I have seen that G12 is not a lifetime fluid.

I would suggest that every 3 years is not obsessive.

·
Administrator
23,415 Posts
I am surprised that coolant has not made the list yet.

The frequency of rotted heater cores and oil cooler failures in this group is one of the better arguments I have seen that G12 is not a lifetime fluid.

I would suggest that every 3 years is not obsessive.
Every TB change.

·
Registered
985 Posts
cut the nipples on the drians and you won't have to clean them.
Ouch! :icon_eek::cry:

4. ATF 50K
I was going to say after first 100k, then every 50k, but the cost of one additional ATF flush is negligible compared to the cost of a new AT. I have an AWM with 148k miles and an ATQ with 100k, both on the same ATF :nervous:. I think I know my next maintenance item. Hmm, maybe magnetic drain plugs for both...

·
Administrator
23,415 Posts
I'm at 90K and have been putting it off. It WILL get done this summer for my 04 AWM...i think

·
Registered
985 Posts
I think another good item is to periodically (maybe every other tire rotation) inspect and grease the brake caliper carrier pins. I just replaced them at 100k miles (after seven MD/PA winters) and the old pins show some sign of wear. One carrier pin cap was missing and this one seems to be the worst. I just upgraded to the Tyrolsport bushings, so my carrier pin maintenance schedule had become more frequent.

Crash, you should edit your first post and consolidate this stuff into it as you find it. You know,

• bold
  • bullet points
  • etc. :)
Then subject it to peer review. We could end up with a nice revised Club B5, err, PassatWorld B5 maintenance schedule.

Oh yeah, big kahuna filter for the 1.8Ts. Not an maintenance interval per se, but a maintenance part worth mentioning (if it hasn't already).

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Every TB change.
Fair enough and from a guy who clearly knows a lot.

I think the answers you get will depend a lot on people's own previous experience, and not just necessarily with Passats, though. I'm perfectly willing to admit being gunshy about this, having fought a rearguard battle with two poorly maintained cooling systems in previously used cars I drove. The pain of dead heater cores and early water pump departures is easy to remember.

It's clearly pretty hard to avoid changing the coolant with a TB change, so what an every three year regimen adds up to is an additional coolant change every 6 years.

To me, that's not so painful, but I appreciate that every little piece of maintenance adds up.

·
Registered
486 Posts
cut the nipples on the drians and you won't have to clean them. That's what the dealer does.

1. Oil change every 5K Synthetic
2. Air Filter 20K
3. Fuel filter 30K
4. ATF 50K
5. Plugs 30-40K (even platinum) 10-20K if Coppers w/Turbo
6. Brake Fluid flush every two years, DOT3/4
7. Brake pads/rotors, when they are low
8. PCV check and clean preferrably every year
9. Tire rotation every 5K
10. Throttle body clean 20K
11. Timing belt/tensioner/waterpump, other belts 70-75K
12. Engine/transmission mounts when they fail

Another good add could be TRE and CA change when they start to give up, which is a common thing

·
Registered
36 Posts
ATF Change?

I was going to say after first 100k, then every 50k, but the cost of one additional ATF flush is negligible compared to the cost of a new AT. I have an AWM with 148k miles and an ATQ with 100k, both on the same ATF :nervous:. I think I know my next maintenance item. Hmm, maybe magnetic drain plugs for both...
I just called the dealer about the ATF. They said it's a lifetime sealed system that I shouldn't touch unless there's a problem. Is this just advice to failure so they get a bigger job down the road? Is this really a job I should and can do?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts