Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First for all you OT cops (mods excluded), I know subject matter dictates this go in theWheel and Tire Forum but that place is like a ghost town. So, please don't hate me for posting here.

Anyway, all four of my tires are wearing on the inner edges. They're Khumo Ecsta 712 (economically dictated), 225/45/17. Not sure of mileage, but due for rotation #3. Annoying bump sound (from tires) led me to go in for rotation, after which sound became more pronounced. Took 500 mile road trip, sound drove me nuts. Went to shop today, tossed 2 front wheels (formerly rears) on balance machine, observed "waviness" (tech's words) on inner edges of tires. Not only are front tires worn unevenly from outer to inner edge, but also from one section of inner edge to another section of the inner edge. Rear tires (formerly fronts) are worn unevenly from outer to inner, but seem uniform around the whole edge... FYI, rear tires weren't mounted on balancer.

So, for anyone that understood this description, any and all comments/feedback would be most appreciated.

SmittyVIP

·
Registered
199 Posts
I can't comment on waviness, but I can confirm that both my 15's and 17's are warn quite a bit more on the inside. I'm running on H&R Sport springs... The camber for each wheels is going to be affected somewhat when you lower your car (which you hopefully have, given that you have 17's) so I've assumed that this is the cause.

My wheels barely stand up on their own because of the uneven wear - with a bit of a tap they'd tip towards the inside (if I was to let them).

Waviness might be a result of improper tire pressure?

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
that waviness is called "scalloping" when the tread is worn like that (usually the individual square treads get shaped like a shark fin, but not as drastic) is most often due to bad struts. camber wear is maybe due to bad tie rods or maybe just needs alignment. :)

·
Registered
26,008 Posts
Cupping tires. The Passat and the 712's are both susceptible. Rotate every 3K,make sure the alighment is good
and all front end parts are tight (control arms,tie rod ends).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
PZ
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing