Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cousin brought it to my attention that the outside edges of my front tires were pretty worn on Easter Sunday when I was showing him my car. I hadn't even realized it since the tires were brand new when I got the car on 3/14. I haven't driven the car hard much (ie spinning the tires) but I do push it in corners from time to time. I've also got the dreaded clunking noise coming from the front end when going slow over bumps and whatnot. I don't know if it's the control arms or the tie rod ends, there's no squeaking so I don't think it's the control arm bushings. BUT... would worn tie rod ends cause the tires to wear unevenly? I talked to the previous owner and he replaced the tie rods @ 45k miles. TIA guys.

·
Registered
127 Posts
sounds like the tire pressure might be low. Seems silly but it will cause exactly this outer edge wear. The clunk however........ Beats me, I am still working on my clunk.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Could be pressure, but more likely (with the clunk) upper control arms, which could cause a positive camber. Jack up the front end, and try to shake the wheel around by hand. With mine I could see a lot of movement at the ball joint on the front upper control arm. It's actually pretty easy to do them yourself if you are the least bit mechanically inclined, otherwise it shouldn't cost more than 4 hours labor at a shop to do all 8 of them.

·
Registered
26,001 Posts
It's the hard cornering. You will need to keep you tire pressure higher if you plan
to abuse them.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
i had the sane problem..but it was my inner tire wearing faster than the rest ...and the problem was my front control arm......i hate these trhings..i still get clunks here and there..i wish we never had them :mad:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
aldolicious77
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing