Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My problem is my trunk opens with the remote but not with the key.

The issues: Long one I have a 1999 GLS V6 which had the selective trunk locking feature wehre you could set the trunk lock horizontal or vertical to open with the remote or not and I had a latch that you would press to open the trunk. Last year my trunk latch, the black handles that you press above the license plate would not retract ( spring action was gone). So I had the dealer fix it under warranty. What they did was the retrofitted it to a 2001+ style (Per VW) where I lost the selective trunk latch feature. The trunk now opens with the remote or I have to turn the key in the trunk key hole to open it. The problem is nothing happens if I turn the key, like some cable is loose, but it will open with the remote.

The dealer fixed it last month for a second time and it worked for a few days and its broken again where it only works with the remote.

Any insights as to how I could fix it myself. its not the microswitch.

The dealer already ripped me for $125 last time to fix the trunk and diagnose my coolant leak in the radiator.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
It sounds like the first step is to never go back to that dealer ever again.

The second step would be to take the trunk latch mechanism off the trunk and look at it. Turn the key in the lock a few times and see if you can figure out which part isn't working.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does any one have any pictures on the trunk mechanism.

deusexaethera - The dealership has been fine so far on other issues. I have been taking my car to them for 6 years now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts