Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last fall I bought a used 2003 W8 wearing Blizzak snow tires on the factory wheels. The dealer also gave me a set of aftermarket wheels/tires the previous owner had installed (17x8" MM ActionType and 235/45R17 Yokohama AVS Sports). The dealer said no one would buy the car with those tires because of the road noise, so they put on the winter tires.

So this weekend the sun is out, the temperature is climbing, and I swapped out the snow tires for the summer set. I drove them this morning, and I felt like I was driving one of those big trucks with knobby mud tires! These tires have a roar at slow speeds and at highway speeds. They must be out of balance too because there is a good deal of vibration above 65 mph. They seem to have low miles, and I didn't notice any unusual wear patterns.

Does anyone else have experience with the AVS Sport? I looked through the Tirerack site and am considering replacing them with the Pirelli P Zero Nero. However, a Tirerack tech I spoke with said the Nero was probably louder than the AVS Sport. Thanks for any advice/experiences!

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
1.8Tabamoura said:
i just posted a thread about that . my tires are AVS ES 100 and they are soooooo loud . especially turning or at low speed.
Yeah I totally agree! I think they're SOOOOOOOOO loud, i have the same tires. My veedub service advisor took my car out for a spin and he kept complaining about how loud the tires were. Boooooo it sucks! :sad:

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
SDW8, instead of P-Zero Nero's you might want to try Toyo Proxes T1-S!!

Well, I may have said goodbye to Pirelli! The tires performed well, but the compound is so soft that you have to rotate them at least every 5,000 miles. I just had a P7000 SuperSport bubble up on me after hitting a road grate. I ran the Pirelli's into the ground and they stuck like glue! If you use them, just be cautious! I ran the P7000's as my winter/non-snow tire, but I will be switching to Proxes-4's in the winter and T1-S as my summer tire!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
yes, I used to own a set of these for my 17" BBS and they were extremely loud.
It's most likely due to the unique tread pattern. It was certainly the most disappointing performance tire I owned. It felt very twitchy and unstable at higher speeds and picked up every little imperfection on the road.

I replaced them with a set of Kuhmos ESCTA Supra 712 and it was a world of difference. It was so much quieter (though after 50% wear it had considerably amount of road noise but not as much as the Yokos), was better composed in wet driving, and stuck to the road so much better. And at around $110 per tire it's the best bang for your buck for summer tires!!!

Yokohama has a version of AVS Sport tires that supposed to remedy the road noise problem of the AVS Sport, called the AVS dBs (dBs meaning decibles). From what I've heard it's not that much of an improvement. The performance factor is a little tamer and the road noise was considerably quieter, but after 10,000 miles the loud road noise returned. Probably due to the fast wear of the soft rubber compound.

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
aowhaus said:
yes, I used to own a set of these for my 17" BBS and they were extremely loud.
It's most likely due to the unique tread pattern. It was certainly the most disappointing performance tire I owned. It felt very twitchy and unstable at higher speeds and picked up every little imperfection on the road.

I replaced them with a set of Kuhmos ESCTA Supra 712 and it was a world of difference. It was so much quieter (though after 50% wear it had considerably amount of road noise but not as much as the Yokos), was better composed in wet driving, and stuck to the road so much better. And at around $110 per tire it's the best bang for your buck for summer tires!!!

Yokohama has a version of AVS Sport tires that supposed to remedy the road noise problem of the AVS Sport, called the AVS dBs (dBs meaning decibles). From what I've heard it's not that much of an improvement. The performance factor is a little tamer and the road noise was considerably quieter, but after 10,000 miles the loud road noise returned. Probably due to the fast wear of the soft rubber compound.

Yeaahh Kumho rocks
I have the ESCTA Supra 711 on my Honda Civic . I love those tires .

·
Registered
187 Posts
Most ultra high performance tires are tend to the noisy(the noise from R compound tires like riding a truck). The tradeoff is that they give you road grip. If keeping your car under control is not the concern then go with tires with lower performance category.

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
1.8Tabamoura said:
i just posted a thread about that . my tires are AVS ES 100 and they are soooooo loud . especially turning or at low speed.
I had these on my 17"s and I agree they were very noisey. I was actually in the process of going for Toyo Poxes-4 before I busted up two of my rims. :evil: So now I am back on my factory 16"s until the 18"s I am buying can be mine. :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
9 Participants
passaterb5
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing