Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I don't have pics yet but basically, I live right by the East River here in NYC where there is alot of strong wind. If you've been watching the US Open, you know that it's been extra windy today.
After parking my Passat, I openned the door gently as I always do, and the the wind ripped it out of my hand and slammed it open all the way.

I heard a small popping sound, and now my door doesn't close quite right! It looks ok when you close it all the way, but you can tell it's off compared to the passenger door.

When closing the door, there are three resting points. The 4th is supposed to be with the door closed. Well, now when I'm at the fourth, my door is two inches open!

Do you think the frame of my car is bent? Is this something a bodyshop can fix?

This is SO annoying you know how you want your car to be perfect!

Thanks in advance for your help/advice

·
Registered
774 Posts
It's likely just a matter of getting the door adjusted. One of the doors on my 2002 B5.5 was like what you describe, the dealer was able to adjust it and now it looks good as new.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
brywithay said:
It's likely just a matter of getting the door adjusted. One of the doors on my 2002 B5.5 was like what you describe, the dealer was able to adjust it and now it looks good as new.

Did it come like that or did something happen to it?

Cuz my door was fine...but I'm afraid the force of the wind bent the frame. As a lever, the door getting thrown open and hyperextended by the wind has much more force than the 2 inches of hinge where it is bolted to the body...

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Your frame isn't bent, you may have tweaked the hinge, or you may have bent some of the body but the frame isn't bent.

Take it to a shop and get an estimate.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just came back from www.auto-fix.com.

The frame of my car is bent slightly. They are gonna have to remove the door and quarter panel, then take off the hinges. Then, they are gonna screw some bolts into the top and bottom hinge holes, and pull out the frame.

Gonna be $900 bucks. Calling the insurance company tomorrow, see what they say.

I'll keep you guys updated.

Thanks for the support!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts