Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Unable to Perform TB Alignment with VAG-COM

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  klelmore 
#1 ·
I changed the oil last week in my 2003 1.8T Passat but hadn't scanned it because my laptop was at work. So, last night, I pulled out the laptop and fired up VAG-COM to take a look. All is well, but I usually do a TB alignment every oil change and, since the engine was warm, I punched in code 060 and hit the go button. All seemed well, but the "switch to basic mode" button was grayed out, so I couldn't actually perform the TB alignment.

I checked readiness codes and found that the secondary air injection system had "Failed or incomplete", but that everything else registered as "Passed". I've done this before without any probelms, so now I'm a bit confused. What gives?

#7 ·
Bombay83 said:
is realigning the TB a common thing to do after an oil change? if you remove your TB and clean it, do you HAVE to have a vag-com to realign it?
I think all you have to do is the door open/key turned to just shy of start to realign the TB.

#8 ·
flipsauce said:
Bombay83 said:
is realigning the TB a common thing to do after an oil change? if you remove your TB and clean it, do you HAVE to have a vag-com to realign it?
I think all you have to do is the door open/key turned to just shy of start to realign the TB.
I think that's actually just an ECU reset or something, and not a real TB alignment, and the only way to do a "real" alignment is with a VAG tool. Jury may still be out on that one, though.

#11 ·
as part of any powercycle of the battery the TBA needs to be reset. I find after any mod it's good to reset the ecu and realign the throttle body to clear out the ecu's learned values.

as far as the readiness codes go, those will not say passed until you have completed the initilization cycle. That usually requires a couple days of driving after and ecu reset or clearing the codes. This prevents somebody from clearing the codes right before an OBD emissions test scan.

#12 ·
klelmore said:
I changed the oil last week in my 2003 1.8T Passat but hadn't scanned it because my laptop was at work. So, last night, I pulled out the laptop and fired up VAG-COM to take a look. All is well, but I usually do a TB alignment every oil change and, since the engine was warm, I punched in code 060 and hit the go button. All seemed well, but the "switch to basic mode" button was grayed out, so I couldn't actually perform the TB alignment.

I checked readiness codes and found that the secondary air injection system had "Failed or incomplete", but that everything else registered as "Passed". I've done this before without any probelms, so now I'm a bit confused. What gives?
Your ECU is KWP-2000. Follow the instructions on the bottom of this page:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/throttlebody.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.