Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i just replaced my 2 axles.. at almost ANY speed, my brakes work just fine, even at 100MPH, when i slow down, the second i hit 5mph and below, i hear a heavy grinding which is EXACTLY the feeling of ABS kicking in (im sure most of you know how this feels) with pressure against the pedal and everything!! is this a known issue by any chance?? its a very loud grind and obviously somethings wrong :/ yet i have to drive it, its my main car! i hope sum1can help.. tia

-mat

·
Registered
752 Posts
When you replaced the axles did you check to see the condition of the ABS tone rings? The sensors too?

If your ABS is infact triggering I would thing something is wrong with either the ring or the sensor. I guess you can either try to find which side is causing the problem or take it apart again and check to make sure all the rings and sensors are correct and installed correctly.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mopower said:
When you replaced the axles did you check to see the condition of the ABS tone rings? The sensors too?

If your ABS is infact triggering I would thing something is wrong with either the ring or the sensor. I guess you can either try to find which side is causing the problem or take it apart again and check to make sure all the rings and sensors are correct and installed correctly.
left side...would the rings or sensors have been touched during the replacement?? there was no problem before they were replaced..

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
Any light's?

I've had my ABS go freaky just from the rust let loose from doing a brake job. The sensor is a magnet... the tone ring is a slotted disk that the magnet reads (it's called a Hall sensor). Anywho... any crap that was let go of (rust) during the work may have have been attracted to the magnet, and it's crapping it up.

I've don'e a ton of work on my own car and many a bud... and having the ABS mess up after brake or suspension work isn't all that uncommon.

Pull the sensors and clean them off... there's a good chance that that's all it needs.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Did you pull the ABS sensors before you pulled the axles? :cringe:

If you did, did you put them all the way back in?

Pop them out and give each of them a good cleaning. They don't need to shine, but they shouldn't have any residual rust. I recommend Scotchbrite pads from the dishwashing/cleaner section at the grocery. They can take some light lube too (WD-40) to help them go back in. The dustcap should compress a little when it hits the steering arm/ The sensor needs to be close enough to the toothed ring on the outer CV to pick up motion of each wheel or it will set off the ABS light on the dash with a 'intermittent signal' code.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i hate to ask such a question... buttttt does anyone have pics of where the sensor is located??? i understand exactly what everyone is saying i just dont know where to look!!....................also, is there a way to maybe use some dust off with my rims still on the car?? or does everything have to come apart?? thanks!!

·
Registered
715 Posts
nstabl said:
i hate to ask such a question... buttttt does anyone have pics of where the sensor is located??? i understand exactly what everyone is saying i just dont know where to look!!.
Check Taligent's write-up. If you don't know where they are located to start, chances are you pulled the half-axle without removing it in the first place. :(

http://www.taligentx.com/passat/maintenance/cvjoints/

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Look for a wire that loops toward the front edge of the hub, at the same height as the cv joint. That wire connects to the abs sensor on the front of the hub. Pull the sensor straight forward to remove it from its slot.

I'm afraid if you left the sensors in place when you did the axle removal, they're probably toast. :nervous:

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
nstabl said:
i hate to ask such a question... buttttt does anyone have pics of where the sensor is located??? ...
pete1 said:
...I'm afraid if you left the sensors in place when you did the axle removal, they're probably toast. :nervous:
Yup. The Bentley distinctly calls for pulling the ABS sensors out a bit before removing the axle. Must be a good reason... ouch.

·
Registered
930 Posts
nstabl said:
would the rings or sensors have been touched during the replacement??

Guys based on why he said right there it doesn't sound like he actually replaced his own axles, even though it sure would be nice if he specifically told everyone on this thread who replaced them (hint hint). Of course if he did do them himself then he probably destroyed the sensors by not removing them. Sounds like the OP should take it back where he had the work done as a first step (unless he did them himself then he should read the writeup and pray).

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i did have them replaced by a shop in norcal, if you live around NoRCaL you can PM me and ill let u know where not to go........other than that i'll respect the shop who did the work as they've done a lot of work for my previous cars in the past...they did offer to take a look (and probably fix their error) and i have an appointment tomorrow. ill let you guys know whats up if i'm able to make it.. thanks for all the advice, ill carry it over to the shop and see what they come up with! shuda done it myself :confused:

thnks again..

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
pass-variant said:
VAGCOM will call out a bad sensor... even it it's just dirty. At least you'll know which side (if not both) is messed up.
will look into that, thanks

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
After reading your original post again, I should add... I would expect a flashing ABS light and CEL... maybe it's not bad enough to register.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
pass-variant said:
After reading your original post again, I should add... I would expect a flashing ABS light and CEL... maybe it's not bad enough to register.
no NoThing like that ... :/

·
Registered
752 Posts
nstabl said:
i did have them replaced by a shop in norcal, if you live around NoRCaL you can PM me and ill let u know where not to go........other than that i'll respect the shop who did the work as they've done a lot of work for my previous cars in the past...they did offer to take a look (and probably fix their error) and i have an appointment tomorrow. ill let you guys know whats up if i'm able to make it.. thanks for all the advice, ill carry it over to the shop and see what they come up with! shuda done it myself :confused:

thnks again..
By hiding the name of the shop (even though you offer to PM it) you are dis-servicing this community. Word of mouth is the best advertising for a shop. They may have made a mistake, if they did then let us know what they are doing to fix it. Just because we all do not live in Northern California does not mean that we might not be there at one point in time. And if a member tries to do a search for the shop name they will come back with nothing. You have been given advice here, give back to the community.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
mopower said:
By hiding the name of the shop (even though you offer to PM it) you are dis-servicing this community. Word of mouth is the best advertising for a shop. They may have made a mistake, if they did then let us know what they are doing to fix it. Just because we all do not live in Northern California does not mean that we might not be there at one point in time. And if a member tries to do a search for the shop name they will come back with nothing. You have been given advice here, give back to the community.
well, im still willing to pm, no disrepect to the community though...the shop made an appointment with me at my earliest convenience (today) removed and completely cleaned the abs sensors... this FIXED the issue!! pleased to say the issue is resolved... and thanks to all who have helped me once again!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts