Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm drving to work this morning, and i smell fuel. A LOT of fuel.

I get to work, pop the hood, and the valvecover and surrounding hoses are doused in gas. "Ugh".

I squeeze one of the lines to the left of the engine, and one of the hard lines mounted on the firewall shoots out, and almost hits me.... Lame.

I wonder how much this will cost.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Rusty said:
Thank God it didn't catch on fire - whew!...
What he said.

So are you saying one of the hard lines busted/broke?:Yikes: Or did a fitting come loose. Oh well let us know what the outcome is.

And here'e to no fires :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you have a chance, look at all the hardlines on the firewall. there is a "support" that guides all three lines. That is the failure point. It's squirting from INSIDE that support.

I'll let you know how everything happened this evening.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
BTW, you need to report this to the NHTSA. Fuel lines breaking and is a big safety issue... There are a great many recalls for vehicles where the fuel line is in danger of breaking.

SirWired

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep. it was a rupture on the firewall. :O

$220 part and 3 hours labor estimate.

Good news? I was on the LAST DAY OF THE WARRANTY.

Now I have to fix the ATP Cut Out. >:/

·
Registered
573 Posts
Oy. I now have this. '02 MY with almost 90k miles. I have a fuel seep coming from one of the rigid fuel lines on the firewall, right where they go through the bracket before meeting up with the flexible rubber lines. I'll try to patch it up and get it home today, with some larger hose and some clamps. It happened last night, I smelled gas as I parked at a friend's house, it was dark and I had no flashlight so all I could do is find the general location of the leak.

Anybody ever fix this themselves? It looks like this particular line (the 2nd line from the top, but I can't really tell until I take the bracket off) goes over by the airbox and has some wierd clip connection. I hope I can get that individual part at the dealer...

In my case I smelled it quickly, and it only seeped enough to wet the lines surrounding the bracket and a tiny wet spot on the firewall.

What's behind that bracket anyway? A join? or is it just a holder?

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Are these all on 02's? :nervous:
Please call NHSA! People think this does nothing, but you could be the one that pushes it into recall.
*Pokes around engine bay smelling for gas*

·
Registered
573 Posts
BTW my leak is on the middle fuel line. There's a bump (compression fitting?) exactly in the middle of the fuel line bracket, and the fuel is escaping from a pinhole leak on the rear (firewall) side of the bump.

I'll visit the dealer today and see what they have in the way of parts. I have a small section of tubing clamped over it for now but that won't last long. Hopefully until the weather breaks - it's no fun doing any work when it's single digits out.

Does anyone with a parts list know what these 3 lines are top to bottom? 1 has to be a feed, another return, and the 3rd???

·
Registered
573 Posts
After a trip to my local Audi* dealer, I have a part number and a price quote. As expected, you can only buy a kit with all of the fuel lines from the rail to the fuel filter and the tank lines. The kit part # is 3B0 201 577B5 , priced at $230.00

To be honest, I can't make tails of the ETKA diagram, as the line in question is part of a classic optical illusion :) But I believe it's the fuel supply line, it runs to the rubber hose that connects to the fore end of the fuel rail, and has the threaded fitment built-in to the hose.

While I can't rule out perhaps replacing the entire fuel line system, I am certainly not doing it in sub-freezing weather. I already have a 90% effective fix, which is some rubber fuel line clamped around the leak point.

If I can get my hands on about 7" of straight piping, and a way to flare the ends, I plan to replace the hard fuel line, from the fitment to the rubber hose, to just upstream of the rubber bracket on the firewall. It should be a straight shot, and this wall all of the clamps won't interfere with the support bracket.

I'd appreciate any pointers on suitable piping (approx 1/4" OD) and flaring tools/methods. I'll post any progress with pics as it happens.

And yes, I will be reporting the leak to the NHTSA.

* = I was told by the Audi dealer (Huntington Audi, on Long Island, NY) that they are no longer able to get VW parts that are not shared on an Audi platform as well. If you order a VW-sourced part, they tack on an additional 20% handling fee. Very unfortunate as there are no convenient VW dealers nearby, when you consider the limited & non-weekend hours their retail parts counter keep. Sigh.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
HOLY CRAP this is scary. Maybe this was the cause of this thread:
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231304&highlight=passat+on+fire
I wonder what year his car was and if they determined the cause.
I'm curious to know if anyone else has had this issue and if it is isolated to the 02' Passats.
I'll be checking my fuel lines today, even if it is 20F (feels like 4F with the wind chill.)
That could very well be an 02 givfen mirrors and wheels :nervous:
Anyone in a v6 have this issue?

·
Registered
573 Posts
That sure looks like an '02 wagon to me.

I stopped by my indy mechanic this morning, and he's willing to do his own version of my proposed ghetto fix, for under $50. His version differs from mine in that instead of trying to find replacement plastic (yes, the fuel lines are plastic) hard line that will fit through the bracket, he will instead replace a short section with flexible fuel hose, and route that around the bracket. Any bending and/or flanging that needs to be done on the existing hard line will be done with a heat gun. He claims to have done it before for a similar leak with good results.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
That sure looks like an '02 wagon to me.

I stopped by my indy mechanic this morning, and he's willing to do his own version of my proposed ghetto fix, for under $50. His version differs from mine in that instead of trying to find replacement plastic (yes, the fuel lines are plastic) hard line that will fit through the bracket, he will instead replace a short section with flexible fuel hose, and route that around the bracket. Any bending and/or flanging that needs to be done on the existing hard line will be done with a heat gun. He claims to have done it before for a similar leak with good results.
You might want to see if you can't get VWOA to do this as sort of a good will gesture.
/Contact NTHSA anyhow

1 - 20 of 58 Posts