Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told by B5Bel while back that the B5.5s had upgraded vac lines as opposed to the braided ones and don't require replacement. Past 2 years, car has been wett-chipped and never lost boost once till now, so just wondering... are AWM's also prone to the typical boost leak other models suffer.. ie the L-shaped hose and such?

Car was peaking at 17 - 18psi, but was only hitting 6psi this morning =T

Will take a look after work but wonderig if anyone can throw something out there... thanks

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
In my 2002 AWM, I had all braided vac lines. I got chipped with GIAC while I still had the stock lines. Soon after, I had a very bad leak. It was the elbow hose, so I replaced that. The new one I replaced it with was the newer version of the L hose that the dealer sells. It was much thicker and heavy duty than the stock one. Then I had a few small leaks, so I just replaced all the 4 main vac lines with silicone hose. Since, everything has been dandy and Im boosting at around 15psi.

I have seen some 2003+ 1.8T engines that came stock with a mixture of braided and silicone vac lines. This is what B5Bel is reffering too I'd bet. But as far as the AWM goes, its all braided lines.

Since you are chipped, especially since u are using a WETT chip (one of the chips that produce the most boost), I would just replace all your silicone lines. It costs about $15 for the hoses and is about an hour of work, and be ready to cut up your knuckles some. Even if you dont have a leak (though it sounds like you do) I would just change them as a preventative thing.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ahh, didn't realize it was a mix of braided n silicone. well, i appreciate the head's up. the wett chip isn't actually too aggressive... was peaking at 15-16psi but since getting my fmic, i actually gained (not lost) an extra 1-2psi...

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I was told by B5Bel while back that the B5.5s had upgraded vac lines as opposed to the braided ones and don't require replacement.
Correct but I'd check them. If there's a large gap idle would be rough too.

Might check the DV as well, is it the OEM one? They tend to rip when chipped.

Did you scan the ECU for codes?

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Correct but I'd check them. If there's a large gap idle would be rough too.

Might check the DV as well, is it the OEM one? They tend to rip when chipped.

Did you scan the ECU for codes?
nah, using the bailey dv.

didnt have time to scan codes, happened on my way to work. its in the garage now but will check it out tonite or tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
2002 AWM here. Some braided lines, some better lines. 96K miles. Wett chipped. Just used a piece of fuel line as a temp fix for the torn (1.5" long) L hose last week.

That L hose has been redesigned (strengthened?). I will post the new part number when I get home.

In short, change all braided lines to silicone and check all non-braided lines for any leaks.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Part Number for Strengthened L hose: 06B-133-783-BC

When I replaced this hose, I also replaced the small L hose that is right next to it, part number is: 058-133-394-F

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a 2002 AWM with the braided vacuum hoses. Last fall, I had to replace the L shaped hose because it burst. I also had to replace the smaller vacuum hoses because they were tearing were they were clamped. I replaced them with silicon hoses. My engine is not chipped.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have a 2001.5 that HAD braided vacuum hoses. I knew I had one bad hose before I started the replacement with silicone hose (The one in the front), but upon removal I found that they were ALL dry rotted and basically fell apart after giving a little tug.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
turns out wasn't boost leak. started up car today, and hit 18psi again, but car felt still slightly more sluggish than before. later this evening, took it out again and car drove normal.

someone explained ecu was readapting itself, going through various cycles but it's now "complete"

recently put a new fmic so maybe this explains car's recent behavior.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
might be, but i've seen others hit 17-18psi normally with a more aggressive chip, and the guys running 1.1bar should be even worse.

either way, car's running normally so i'm happy...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Seems like it might be a good idea to change out both L hoses. Big one and smaller one. Thanks for both P/Ns.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts