Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) I started my B5 (99 B5 1.8T Tip with 39K miles) on past Sunday morning and the engine just shake and shake and then stop completly. The engine check light flash during the whole process. I restart the engine after 30 seconds and it still shake and almost stop until I give a a little more gas (up to 2500-3000 rpm) and then it is back to normal and the engine light stay on but no flashing :???: . I drove it to my buddy body shop the next day and it was fine. He told me that the code for the engine check light is for "mis-fired". Does anyone knows what happen?

2) My buddy also told me that my oil cooler is leaking, does it under the 100K mile powertrain warrantry? If not, how much is that cost :sad: .

Anyone had similar problem before?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Was your car not driven for a few days before you started the car? That can also cause a rough idle that will clear up in few minutes. I had to drive mine around the block until it idle fine. If that is not the case then I would suspect the ICM also, a common problem with the 98 - 99 AEB engine. If it is bad then no, it is not covered under the 100K powertrain warranty but the oil cooler should be covered. Here's a link for testing the ICM, it's in the info forum:

http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=66779&sid=c28e88707fbfc71566d74e25ed5a44dc

·
Registered
341 Posts
Also if you started your car cold, moved it a short distance (say into or out of your garage) and then shut it off, it may start hard and idle rough the next time..
Commonly referred to as "car wash syndrome" (i.e. you move it to wash it but it doesn't have time to warm up)..
It clears itself up once the engine warms up. The problem is the engine thinks it's already warm after the cold start/stop for some reason.

If thats not it then definitely check the ICM, and if thats it, get the $120 unit and replace it yourself in 5 minutes with just a screwdriver.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I did move the car back and fore with short period of time the day before question 1) happen. That might be the problem.

For question 2), I did call several dealer in so.cal and one said BS to me (you have to bring the car in to be sure, Pasadena VW :mad: ) another one (New Century VW in Glendle) the guy spend like 5 to 10 minutes to find out weather the oil cooler was under the powertrain warrantry without hold so that I know he is LOOKING at the guideline/severice book and said if the cooler is leaking, it's under 100k Powertrain warrantry, but the hoses are not (that's fair). Do I get a loaner if the warrantry repair is more then a day?

Now another question, is the engine block gasket leak under the 100K warrantry?

Thanks

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dealer agree to fix the oil cooler leak via the powertrain warrantry, but only the cooler, not the hoses. Also will fix the oil leak around the passanger side engine bay (valvetrain gasket?). Do they drain my oil before they replace/fix my oil cooler? I just change oil last week and is synthetic. Do I need to tell the dealership?

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.