Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've purchased components to replace my stock non-monsoon speakers. However, the tweeters packaged very clearly will not fit into the stock mounting locations.

I know a lot of guys on here have done some heavy audio customization so I'm looking for a little information.

1) If I were to try and find replacement tweeters for the stock locations, what size would I need to buy? Also if you have any suggestions as to specific models that also would be appreciated. I'm not really looking to break the bank on these.

2) How have you modified your cars to fit and what suggestions might you you have for me? Front tweeter mounts require a mounting diameter of just under 2" and a mounting depth of 13/16". The rears are 1 7/8" and 13/16".

Any help would be much appreciated.

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,883 Posts
I use a dremel to wear away the stock front tweeter grills and made the holes the size of my Boston Acoustic tweeter grills. they *JUST* fit in there now, and I sealed them in with some silicon caulk.

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
I use a dremel to wear away the stock front tweeter grills and made the holes the size of my Boston Acoustic tweeter grills. they *JUST* fit in there now, and I sealed them in with some silicon caulk.
You could do that, OR just dremel out the back of the tweeter plate so it is flat. Then the tweeters SHOULD fit in the stock foam moutning area if they are 1'' tweets. Thats what i did with my Focal TN52s. My MTX TXC tweets however were to big so we had to fiberglass new pods for those, but thats a good amount of work.

Here you can see the Focal TN52s behind the stock grills:

And here are some of the MTX Tweeter pods:

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Would you happen to have any pics of that? Just curious. TIA

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,883 Posts
I'd have to take some. not going to do it right now, tho, because it is bed time

maybe tomorrow

·
Registered
49 Posts
Another Tweeter Install

I did mine by dremeling out the grill material and using a two stage epoxy putty to mount the tweet behind the panel. It took some modifications to make it fit though. I had to replace the big torx screw that holds the mirror on with a ground down bolt to gain enough clearance. For added strength I replaced the little plastic snaps with some screws. Worked pretty well, but took a while. here's a link to the page:

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210999&highlight=Denver5.5

1 - 6 of 6 Posts