Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after spending $3500 on their '95 E320 in the last MONTH, I finally got my grandparents to ditch the Benz.

What, you ask, did your wonderful friend Sharky cajole them into buying as a replacement, with all his knowledge of what his grandparents REALLY like in car AND about cars themselves?

Why, a completely loaded-up (EVERYTHING but the roof) but very slightly and lightly used 2001 Toyota Avalon XLS, of course!

They are thrilled to the gills with it. Granddad keeps saying "that is a NICE car!"

And so it is.

Another family saved from the dark side by Sharky.

Thank me later.

Now, anyone looking for a pretty damn nice '95 Merc for well under $10k? 180k miles, though.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Um... Yeah, my parents both had the last gen avalon and my mom currently has a recent model. The latest version is a huge improvement but that's not saying much. I still don't like it. (in fact I think it sucks but I don't tell them that) The handling is spooky, the brakes are down right scary, and the seats arent' all that supportive. But it's still better than the last one. My dad had an old platinum edition. Had BBS bling, but it SUCKED. Bigtime. AND it was the top of the line. Sorry, not impressed.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
i'm curious... what'd they spend so much money on the benz for?

the only things i can think of for that particular car that are prone to failure is the a/c system, and/or the fuel system. maybe one of the electrical gremlins they had with some mixed up relays?

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TwoLitreVW said:
i'm curious... what'd they spend so much money on the benz for?

the only things i can think of for that particular car that are prone to failure is the a/c system, and/or the fuel system. maybe one of the electrical gremlins they had with some mixed up relays?
AC compressor and Evaporator and a bunch of other crap....

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Blue Blur said:
Um... Yeah, my parents both had the last gen avalon and my mom currently has a recent model. The latest version is a huge improvement but that's not saying much. I still don't like it. (in fact I think it sucks but I don't tell them that) The handling is spooky, the brakes are down right scary, and the seats arent' all that supportive. But it's still better than the last one. My dad had an old platinum edition. Had BBS bling, but it SUCKED. Bigtime. AND it was the top of the line. Sorry, not impressed.
PSSSST

Hey, got a clue for ya here....it isn't a sports sedan....it's a Japanese Crown Vic.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Sharky said:
The Blue Blur said:
PSSSST

Hey, got a clue for ya here....it isn't a sports sedan....it's a Japanese Crown Vic.
I actually owned a Toyota Avalon - it's for old people as you say Sharky and I think a damned good suggestion for people who just want something roomy, comfortable and reliable. Anyone ever see anyone under 100 driving a Toyota Avalon? I used to look around (I bought one for my wife - we were in our late 20's when I bought it) and I always thought "damn, you never see young people driving them." :)

I bought it for her mainly because I thought it was a hell of a lot better deal than a Camry, I ended up buying her another Camry - she likes the feel of the Camry better.

The whole thing is, picking out cars for people isn't all that cut and dry - automobiles are an "emotional" thing and 99 times out of 100 - an older person just wants something reliable, comfortable, luxury or near luxury without breaking the bank. The Avalon is an excellent choice for the older crowd.

An interesting question to Sharky (to me) is this:

"Sharky - if your trusty Camry bit the dust today - what would you buy for yourself to replace it?"

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Sharky said:
Sullie said:
Sharky said:
Sullie said:
"Sharky - if your trusty Camry bit the dust today - what would you buy for yourself to replace it?"
The nicest '93 Sedan DeVille I could find.
;)
Hey, don't wink at that, I was serious.

Those are great cars.
Is this is the object of your affection?

This one is a '91 but the same body style:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
i figured it was the a/c on the MB.

on the next subject.... that caddy's crap.

they've all been crap since they went to FWD.

i'm really excited about their return to RWD, though. seems as though someone over there bought a clue. (read: hired bot lutz)

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
TwoLitreVW said:
on the next subject.... that caddy's crap.

they've all been crap since they went to FWD.
The experience with this car that reinforces your opinion is what, exactly?

Keep in mind that not all people on this board want or need a "sporty" car like a VW.

The only reason I'm here is to help you folks through the myriad of troubles you have with your really great German-engineered cars.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
German cars are STILL the best cars on the road, no one can beat them, yeah theres down sides to them, but all cars have down sides.

I'll back you up Germany! I will always buy German

Rich :wink:

·
Registered
941 Posts
Sharky said:
I finally got my grandparents to ditch the Benz.

Now, anyone looking for a pretty damn nice '95 Merc for well under $10k? 180k miles, though.
Only SHARKY can get two senior citizens out of a the safety and securityof a pretty damn nice '95 Merc and put them into a Japanese built Buick LeSabre... :cry: and a used one :roll:

Now how much money did you save them? :crazy:

·
Banned
3,172 Posts
Damn, that kind of sounds like the time a couple of years ago that I talked my friend Kristi into getting rid of her POS '00 Honda Accord EX which was on its second transmission @ 25k miles---not to mention all the other problems it had with the power windows, A/C, etc. She's still driving a '99 Audi A4 2.8 QT that she bought used and loves it much more than her Accord---the main thing she loves aboutr it is its style and quietness. It has close to 100k on it now and all that she's don was swap out the timing belt and other accessory belts @ 77k after my recommendation. 8)

Point is, there are bad apples in every bushel. Not to mention that for a many of us, there is A LOT more to cars than reliability--which is usually only marginally better in Japanese cars, and usually only because they have less features. This is a simple engineering concept; less parts + features = less problems.

I like the Avalons though, my mom used to have a white one and it was reliable and pretty nice--it will probably be better for your g'parents than the Benz simple b/c it's newer and front wheel drive.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Elias, it wasn't the cost of the car that was an issue, it was the cost of the maintenance and repair on the nice but tragically flawed Benz.

The Benz is only MAYBE safer in crashes than the Avalon as far as how it takes a hit. I don't know how well the Toyota does, nor do I know how well the Benz does.

It has no side airbags, no seatbelt pretensioners or force limiters (that I'm aware of), and no traction control (and is very tailhappy on snow or ice.)

I am a fairly good driver and have had the rear come around on me in that car while driving it...ummm....quickly. I don't want my Grandma to ever know what the phrase "wild oversteer" means.

As for having less features SD, exactly what does a GLX Passat have that an Avalon XLS does not? (HINT: Don't go looking for specs to support your argument. You will LOSE.)

I know, there are like 4 people here that don't have their head up VW's corporate ass, but I guess I like TRYING to talk about cars in general and not just to heap praise on what I work for or what you guys drive...

·
Banned
3,172 Posts
Sharky said:
Elias, it wasn't the cost of the car that was an issue, it was the cost of the maintenance and repair on the nice but tragically flawed Benz.

The Benz is only MAYBE safer in crashes than the Avalon as far as how it takes a hit. I don't know how well the Toyota does, nor do I know how well the Benz does.

It has no side airbags, no seatbelt pretensioners or force limiters (that I'm aware of), and no traction control (and is very tailhappy on snow or ice.)

I am a fairly good driver and have had the rear come around on me in that car while driving it...ummm....quickly. I don't want my Grandma to ever know what the phrase "wild oversteer" means.

As for having less features SD, exactly what does a GLX Passat have that an Avalon XLS does not? Hello?

I know, there are like 4 people here that don't have their head up VW's corporate ass, but I guess I like TRYING to talk about cars in general and not just to heap praise on what I work for or what you guys drive...
I wasn't comparing an Avalon and a Passat, Sharky! I was comparing a Japanese car and a European car of similar years. Hello! 8)

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
The Avalon seems to be a nice car. And it meets the needs of many people. Maybe not use, which is why we don't have one, but that doesn't make it bad. ;) My dad has a Camry he bought over a Passat. I think it's way underpowered and not the nicest car, but really, for what he wanted, it was a good car. And if you're not behind the wheel, it's a fairly nice ride. 8) My Passat does it for me, but hey, some out there would think my Variant's a piece of crap and I'm crazy for getting one. :)

Besides, the only one I want to hear MB horror stories from is VWGUY4EVER. Nice and impersonal, nobody's grandparents in trouble or anything. 8) :lol:

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.