Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear rotor are causing my brakes to pulsate. During a tire-on visual inspection brake pads appear to have some life remaining on them.

Question: Can the rear rotors be turned to remove/reduce warping? Is this procedure for grooved rotors only?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
The rotors are cheap enough to just replace. Its been a while since I bought them, but they were under 20 bucks each - a shop wanted 14 buck to turn them.
Do the pads while you are at it.
Why did it warp? Was the caliper hung up?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They're only slightly warped, but I can feel them while braking. Apparently this is a known problem with Passats as the rear brakes apply stopping power before the fronts in light braking even though the rears are smaller. :roll: I guess this has something to do with controlling nose dive. Also I'm approaching 50k miles so I guess it is just their time to go.

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Yep ... 50K is about time to replace your rear rotors & pads. Don't waste your time & money turning the old rotors. I just replaced rear my rotors & pads at 40K miles a few weeks ago.

Got my rotors from S_Klass GB

Good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
In spite of what several local mechanics indicated, the Passat rotors will turn nicely.
My were pitted from sitting all winter, and 20 bucks to turn both fronts put the brakes back in shape. The above poster is correct, at 50K there would be no point in machining rotors. The rear rotors and pads are cheap, and rarely last past 60K.
If you machine those rotors, you wil be doing your rear brakes twice this year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.