BTW (for future reference for anybody else that has this problem...and there WILL be others). After reading VW Mom's experience and initial (pre-winecorker) difficulty in removing the relay I decided to post what I hope
will be a helpful hint.
Toolless Hazard Relay removal (if you don't
have heated seats but do
have medium-to-long fingers):
- 1. Push Hazard Relay button in, exposing the upper edge of the blank cover below it (where the heated seat button would go).
2. With your fingertip, pry out the blank cover (it may be a tight fit, but should pop out).
3. Push the Hazard Relay button again, to shut off your hazard lights.
4. With your hand palm-up, stick your middle finger as deep as you can into the hole (if your fingers are long enough, you should feel the back corner of the Relay).
5. Push hard against the back of the Relay and it should pop out of the dash.
6. Pull connector off back of old Relay, install new Relay, yada-yada.