Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went home for lunch and my wife came home also and said, "The turn signals are going nuts." So, of course I said, "What did you do to the car!"

I assume it is the "emergency light switch with relay." Just ordered one from local parts joint for $25.50.

How many people have replaced this little beauty so far?

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I had something similar, but it was the CCM - over $300 :shock: for this module. Blame her and tell her you need a new chip to correct this problem :D

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jhct said:
a4passata6 said:
How many people have replaced this little beauty so far?
How many people own B5's?
:(

You know the funny thing is ever since it was new I noticed a funny noise coming from behind the radio sometimes when I used the turn signals. It was almost like a electrical short noise. Maybe the relay was crappy from day 1.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Well, if the turn signals are blinking rapidly, that is also quite often the result of a burned out turn signal bulb. You might want to check that.

SirWired

·
Registered
774 Posts
I replaced my relay 2 months ago at 39K.
turn signal just blinked only once but, there're clicking noise from behind the hazard button/radio are....and that's all.
$25 later I got a new hazard switch...all is well again :)

·
Registered
990 Posts
I've replaced mine aftre mu turn signal went out also. I went to the dealer and asked them what the problem would be and they said it'll be $75 to check it out. The I asked them about the turn signal relay and it was $25 but they said that couldn't be the problem and I said I'll take my chances even if I can't return it being an electric part. I popped the old relay out and replaced it with the new one and problem fixed.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have the problem that from time to time, the relay seems to 'stick'. I turn the blinker lever, and the light goes on and stays on until I return the lever to off. I have this for both sides. But it appears only in around 0.1% of the cases. Annoyingm but not enough to replace the relay.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Just replaced mine 3 weeks ago at 107k miles, on a '99 B5. It just started not flashing - like, it's rather a consistent yellow light than a turn signal or hazards shall I say.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have to fix mine.. When I put on my turn signals they work fine, then I take a turn and they shut off but I get the turn signal noise for half a second to about 2 seconds after the signal is turned off.. Any ideas on what mine could be..

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Mine is different. I had the turn signal relay replaced as it was ticking on its own even if the signal switch is off. They replaced the hazard switch and just today it still does the same thing.

·
Registered
339 Posts
That sounds like mine.. Sometimes it will seem like it ticking but nothing is on.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
im not sure if its just a conincidence that the hazard switch they gave me was faulty, but i will take the car in as it is still under warranty. Gotta love VW electrical problems! :crazy:

·
Registered
339 Posts
I wish I was still under warranty..

·
Registered
339 Posts
It sounds like it turns on when the turn signals are turned off. But it is a faster sound then when the turn signals are turned on.. I think it might be the turn signal switch.

·
Registered
712 Posts
redb5sdca said:
what are the symptoms? mine died like wouldn't even turn on and it was the ignition switch.
Let me[/b] tell you about ignition switch. When mine went out, the only things I had working (it's easier to list this way) were the high beams, the emergency lights (if try to signal a turn it wouldn't blink), and the radio (at least the radio :D ). Everything else, went kaputch.

·
Registered
339 Posts
What is the hazard relay number?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts