Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing my turbo timer right now and Im having a problem finding the ecm so I can tap into the speed sensor and rpm signal!!! If anyone can point me to it and let me know what wires they are, I think the speed is white/blue(thanks to nate). I thought Herman had a write up on this but could not find it in my search!

HELP A B5ER OUT!

Brian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link!!! :thumbup:

It looks like this will take a while though :mad:

I also have the TYPE-1 timer. Me and the installer here at my shop are working on it right now!

:thumbup: Brian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont have a cam here at the shop but I can tell you what i did. What year do you have? Ive got a 2000 and I can already tell that Hermans instructions are for 98 so there may be a bit of difference in our years.


Brian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,099 Posts
yes, herman's instructions are for the older cars.

there's no mention of speed sensor cables to tap or tapping the ECM at all in those.

i know because i used them last weekend to install my Greddy TT on my 98 passat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea, I noticed there wasnt a speed wire. The 2000 console is a bit different to get out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
dublife said:
I am installing my turbo timer right now and Im having a problem finding the ecm so I can tap into the speed sensor and rpm signal!!! If anyone can point me to it and let me know what wires they are, I think the speed is white/blue(thanks to nate). I thought Herman had a write up on this but could not find it in my search!
HELP A B5ER OUT!
Brian
Nate said:
MY1999
Speed Sense white/blue brown 10 pin connector @ ECM housing
MY 2000
Speed Sense white/blue brown 10 pin connector @ ECM housing
MY2001
Speed Sense white/blue 23 pin plug, pin 15 @ CCM
MY2002
Speed Sense white/blue 23 pin plug, pin 15 @ CCM
Nate

dublife, Under your stering wheel at the left you will see a small black box with two conectors. That is the Confort Control Unit. Look there for the SPEED wire. Usually that wire is on the 23 pin conector that is on the right.

Here is a picture of the CCU under your stering



Good luck,

Isaac

Turbo Timer COMPANION® the solution for 2002/03/04 1.8T VW & Audi
.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ARE YOU FREAKING SERIOUS about this "decorative column trim piece"? :mad:

I have everything apart and I see these 2 screws holding that piece in but........
THEYRE OBSTRUCTED BY METAL!!!!!! :mad: :mad:

HELP!

Brian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
dublife said:
ARE YOU FREAKING SERIOUS about this "decorative column trim piece"? :mad:
I have everything apart and I see these 2 screws holding that piece in but........THEYRE OBSTRUCTED BY METAL!!!!!! :mad: :mad:
HELP!Brian
What you talking about??? What decorative trim???

Isaac

Turbo Timer COMPANION® the solution for 2002/03/04 1.8T VW & Audi
.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,144 Posts
HvyDrnkr23 said:
Glad you guys posted this topic. I have a 2000 and finally got around to wiring up my Greddy TT. Sounds like Herman's instructions I printed out will not finish the job for me.
but the audi world link will work for you I followed thos to the letter for my 2000 passat.

Chalon, let me know I can come down on a sunday or monday and pull my dash apart to show you exactly which wires to tap.

Pete
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dublife wrote:
ARE YOU FREAKING SERIOUS about this "decorative column trim piece"?
I have everything apart and I see these 2 screws holding that piece in but........THEYRE OBSTRUCTED BY METAL!!!!!!
HELP!Brian


What you talking about??? What decorative trim???






Isaac

I got that finally so nevermind on that.

BMpassat....what color is the RPM lead?

Thanks
Brian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,144 Posts
I have a Greddy Turbotimer II, and I purposefully did not connect the RPM sense wire and the E-Brake saftey. I don't use the auto mode at all.

What year is your car I have the the complete wiring diagragms @ home for the 98-00 cars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Bmpassat said:
I have a Greddy Turbotimer II, and I purposefully did not connect the RPM sense wire and the E-Brake saftey. I don't use the auto mode at all.
What year is your car I have the the complete wiring diagragms @ home for the 98-00 cars.
For use the AUTO MODE you dont need to hook up the speed wire. The Turbo Timer estimate your speed by the diferences on voltages on the ignition wire. Try your AUTO MODE and you will see its working.

The speed wire is a safety device that will shut the engine is somebody try to drive the car while is running with the TT. The same do the e-brake wire, its a safety device so in some case you release the brake the engine shut off.

Isaac

Turbo Timer COMPANION® the solution for 2002/03/04 1.8T VW & Audi
.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ive already taken care of everything except the RPM wire.

BMPassat, Ive got a 2000. Could you help me with this RPM lead?

Thanks
Brian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
dublife said:
Ive already taken care of everything except the RPM wire.
BMPassat, Ive got a 2000. Could you help me with this RPM lead?
ThanksBrian
Brian, take your intrucction munual. They DONT TALK about a RPM wire they talk about a SPEED WIRE

You have to look for that wire with a volmeter when somebody else id driving and find wich wire send diferent volgage when you are gaining speed.

Also dont worry if you dont find this wire. Your auto mode will work.

The speed wire is a safety device that will shut the engine is somebody try to drive the car while is running with the TT. The same do the e-brake wire, its a safety device so in some case you release the brake the engine shut off.

Isaac

Turbo Timer COMPANION® the solution for 2002/03/04 1.8T VW & Audi
.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
914 Posts
dublife said:
I dont have a cam here at the shop but I can tell you what i did. What year do you have? Ive got a 2000 and I can already tell that Hermans instructions are for 98 so there may be a bit of difference in our years.


Brian
I got a 99 1.8t 5spd sedan. So i think my car will be pretty similar to yours. And my type-1 has 8 wires if i remember correctly....so i have no idea where to wire them up to....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
914 Posts
Turbo Boss said:
dublife said:
Ive already taken care of everything except the RPM wire.
BMPassat, Ive got a 2000. Could you help me with this RPM lead?
ThanksBrian
Brian, take your intrucction munual. They DONT TALK about a RPM wire they talk about a SPEED WIRE

You have to look for that wire with a volmeter when somebody else id driving and find wich wire send diferent volgage when you are gaining speed.

Isaac
If he has an HKS type-1 like me...the instructions do talk about an "RPM Signal Wire" but there is also a Speed Sensor Wire as well mentioned.

I have the manual in .pdf format if u want me to send it to you. Maybe that'll help?
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Top